“Painted cinder blocks, really?”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
Sacramento
“Painted cinder blocks, really?”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I grew up in this little town and went back recently to check on my dad held who lives in a nursing home there. I made reservations through the Alaska airlines web site at a place called the Vineyard Inn and Suites. Used gps to get there and after circling the address a couple of times decided that it must be the Red Lion. It was. Now, I grew up in the Pacific NW and I was used to the Red Lion being a upscale hotel. This one wasn't. They had really tried to jazz up a motel by painting the cinder blocks in bright colors. Darn it, come on Walla Walla, slap some dry wall up there and make it cozy, not cold. Just because the state prison is there you dont have to make your 'hotel' look like one.

Room Tip: Opt of the upper level since the blinds on the lower level dont close all the way & people can s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ming95864
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the décor. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed October 18, 2013

When we saw the dated exterior and small lobby I was skeptical until we entered our very clean and well appointed room. The paint and furnishings appeared very new. Cinderblock walls
dated the room but were nicely painted. The Queen bed was very comfortable.
The location was very close to downtown businesses. I would suggest skipping the "continental breakfast". We and other guests were surprised that no attendant was present
at the breakfast hall. Consequently trash bins overflowed and tables were unclean.
I also did not believe it wise to leave peeled hard boiled eggs unrefrigerated throughout the breakfast period.
The front desk clerk told us she was also responsible for overseeing the breakfast service which
was a bit of a distance from the lobby. The hotel is undergoing several changes and staffing the meal area is reportedly planned.
Overall value was very good. I have generally paid 25% more for rooms of similar quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael E
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review.We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room. We apologize for the mess that you encountered in the breakfast bar. We now have a breakfast bar attendant during operating hours to ensure our high standards of quality and service are met.
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because the Marcus Whitman was booked. We wanted to be downtown and didn't want a B&B. Glad we did. Room was nice, modern, quiet and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful despite the less than professional first impression that wss created by hanging outside the front doors smoking. They are working on the common areas like breakfast and. workout rooms. Need to continue to clean up the exterior. Ask for a second level balcony room on the courtyard. Well worth the $79.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank shellhunter98
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for giving us a try and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments and suggestions. We want our guests to have a great experience at our hotel and your feedback helps us. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Or better yet, just tear it down and start all over again - I'm serious. Prior to staying here, I read the reviews that encouraged people to give this hotel a try and that the new owners are really cleaning it up, just be sure to ask for a remodeled room (which I got). It was only $109 per night (pretty cheap for this area) so I gave it a try. My advise to you - DON'T. On our way to the hotel we heard at one of the wineries that about a year ago this place got busted for being a meth lab. Good Lord! But hey - I knew that it had been remodeled, right? Well unfortunately, from check-in to check-out, it was a very uncomfortable experience. The woman who checked us in had a very strange affect. I don't mean to be cruel, it's not my intention - she was just "different" and not whom I would choose to make a first impression on customers. But she did kind of "match" with the place. At that point I'm starting to worry - really counting on that remodeling. When we drove up to our room, it was clear the outside had NOT been remodeled. In my opinion this is a huge mistake. Most of us are guilty of judging a book by its cover. Our room was located down this short ally which was lined with big dumpsters and junk (cardboard boxes, etc.) littered the ground. The entrance to our room needed swept badly. As we enter the room, first thing that struck me was the colors they chose for the walls, purple and yellow, which did not match the new decor. The colors were better suited for a bordello. It was a very small room but I have to give them credit - it WAS clean. The complimentary breakfast was a joke - I wouldn't even bother. The one positive thing I can say about this hotel is the location is excellent. You can easily walk to the cute little downtown area. Just don't do it at night by yourself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sherry F
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
It is never good to hear a guest had such a bad experience with our hotel. My goal as the General Manager is provide the best stay possible to all my guest and it is upsetting to hear that your experience was less than positive. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. Please accept my sincere apology. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please call me at the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Walla Walla hotels

Lebanon, Oregon
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After reading some earlier reviews from 2012, I did not know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. Their rooms have been re-modeled and we stayed in a re-modeled room. Our room was clean, the beds were very comfortable (2 queen beds), clean comfortable sheets and pillows and comforters. The room was painted cheerfully. The bathroom was clean, water hot and showers great, towels were nice and clean. We didn't sample the breakfast because we were too busy during our stay. The staff was helpful, friendly and pleasant. Very close to shops and I felt totally safe. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robyn B
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. We're happy to hear that you like the upgraded amenties. Next time you are in Walla Walla, you will have to try our new breakfast.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I honestly choose this place because of their low prices. It was later in the evening when I checked in and had not eaten dinner. The gal at the front counter let me into the kitchen and gave me snacks to take to my room. When I finally got to my room, I was very surprised. It had beautiful new furniture and bedding. The color scheme was fabulous. My room was so cute and cozy I found myself wishing I could stay another night. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank khrystel
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. It is wonderful to hear that you were wowed by our front desk, and the changes we made in the guest rooms. Come see us again soon!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Had no idea what to expect when I blindly reserved a room at the Vineyard Inn and I was nothing but pleased with my experience. The young lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful, the room was modern and very clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joanna P
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. Your feedback is important to us. Please come see us again when you come back to Walla Walla!