“Great Place to Lay your head.”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel has quite a bit going for it. I would fully agree with the other posters that mentioned this hotel is a work in progress. The new ownership have already addressed issues and are working to make it even better. Its clear that the vision and attitude are in the right place and it shows in the staff. I work in canada on the fort frances side, and although the super 8 is great, its always booked and honestly for the price the Americinn is a better deal. I get a large business suite, hot breakfast, pool internet and tv, at a very reasonable price. The staff are patient and friendly, I doubt I would ever stay at another hotel when working in the area. Two things I would highly suggest for management are, a phone in the business center, and passes to the NorthSite Gym next door as the fitness centre here doesnt cut it. Currently you can buy a gym pass there for $5. Wont break the bank and is a decent little gym. But for how cheap they offer a pass and the amount of guests that would claim them, free passes should be a given.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Bryon964

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed at the hotel twice in Sept. I am very picky. Don't expect luxury, but want cleanliness. I inspected all the corners and places where dirt usually is found and was satisfied. See photos below. I spoke with the new owner and told him things looked good and he said that he was really attempting to clean things up and I told him it showed. For the price around 94.00 AARP rate, I thought it was well worth it. The grounds are beautiful in the back, which I overlooked on my first trip. The pool looks great. The windows open up AND the heater-ac can be left on FAN all night long which is not always the case in hotels.

This is a work in progress, but the owner's attitude is one of perfection and he stated that he is still not satisfied.

I would give it a try for sure.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank humbledbyexperience
Reviewed September 2, 2010

A quick perusal of the recent reviews may give you pause in staying here, but I can assure you that the property's transition from a Holiday Inn to this new property has been very successful. My wife and I recently stayed here when we decided to extend our stay in International Falls. We were awarded it via Hotwire after a blind booking, and were very pleased with our stay.

The property is beautifully situated on the Rainy River, west of town. There is plenty of parking in front, and a beautiful yard in the back. It has benches, with sidewalks that go down to the river. The property has a very relaxing atmosphere.

The lobby is clean and well kept. There is a public computer with attached printer, as well as couches in a warm and inviting sitting area. Check in went smooth.

The room was clean and up to date. The furnishings looked recently replaced. There was a flatscreen HDTV. The beds were very comfortable. Further, the wifi worked great.

We used the pool, which was very clean and well kept. I also used the sauna and hot tub, which were also very clean.

In the morning, we found the breakfast to be outstanding. Instead of the mere donut / bagel / cereal breakfast, there was actual hot foods available, including bacon, sausage and biscuits & gravy. We were very pleased.

Further, we needed an additional half hour to check out. They had no problems giving us that extra time.

Overall, we look forward to coming back. I understand that others did not have as good an experience, but we did not see that at all. I recommend that you give this place a second look.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Publius2003
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I prefer full service hotels, so I paid a premium for he hotel ($95 corp rate). I had trouble locating it online, since I stayed in Mid-May and as of April, 2010 it no longer had theHoliday Inn franchise. Per the staff, it's about to become an AmericInn. They said they were surprised they didn't rebrand imediately, and that the hotel was going to be investing $1M in upgrades. My guess is that since Holiday Inn has been weeding out weak franchises, (And this one definately qualified), they couldn't keep the affiliation. AmericInn is probably making them upgrade before joining as well.

Overall, it was just OK. Not worth a premium over the Super 8 (Which was $65 that night). The pool was closed while I was there. The weight room was awful. Seriously - with that weak an effort don't even bother. I mean, a floral couch in the middle of the room? But a block down the frontage road was a small Health Club that would allow Holiday Inn (AKA Rainey River Inn) guests to use it for $5. And get their embroidery done at the same time.

There was a bar that was open when I arrived that looked like a small town Holiday Inn bar is expected to look. There was also a restaurant, but I'm not confident it was open while I was there (Again - it looked like a Holiday inn restaurant).

Overall, this was very much like a small town Holiday Inn (circa 1989) is expected to look.

It was clean, and while it had a typical polyester bedspread (none of them fancy duvets in I-Falls) , it seemed well maintained. It had A dorm size fridge and microvave. Lots of cable channels on a basic hotel TV. The toiletries did smell good though.

Behind the hotel you could walk to the Rainey River (And swim to Canada, if you were so inclined.

Overall, an OK hotel in a town without many options. The only serious competitors I saw in I-Falls or Ft. Francis were the Super 8's and the Day's Inn. Other than those, there are just a lot of dubious looking mom and pop motels.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank BPStPaul
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed on a Saturday night with our 2 young children. The reason we chose this hotel was because they had a pool. On the Saturday night the pool area was very crowded with outside birthday parties (plus lots of hotel guests). The room was basic, with very small beds. Overnight we were subjected to extremely noisy drunken hotel guests who were slamming doors, screaming profanities and fighting in the hallways. This went on from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. and the staff did absolutely nothing to stop it. My 5 year old and 2 year old had to listen to all of this and none of us had any sleep. To make matters worse, the pool was closed on Sunday morning, with no explanation of why. Half of the arcade games were out of order. The food in the restaurant was overpriced and nothing special. The room was pricey (over $100) and for all our trouble they only gave us $10 off. In general the hotel is very run down, there was duct tape covering a broken window in the pool area, and duct tape covering holes in the carpet. There were holes in the concrete around the pool which was dangerous for my toddler. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SunnyDays174
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband and I spent the night on the way to our cabin in Canada. Thought Holiday Inn would be clean, comfortable, reasonably priced. Had driven by in past and it looked like nice facility. Wrong on all counts! Front desk clerk not pleasant at all, carpets worn and not exceptionally clean (which was surprising as I thought it was a relatively new property). Have learned that the Holiday Inn name does not stand for quality any longer. There are other places in the area as nice or nicer for less $$.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lake-people
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn in International Falls while I was attending a family function in the area. This hotel is very user-friendly. Even though I arrived early in the day I was allowed to check in and everyone was extremely courteous and accommodating. Other than a few stains on the carpet, the room was perfect. It was great to have amenities like a little fridge and microwave, two phones, an easy chair with ottoman for reading, ironing board and iron. The toiletries provided were good quality and covered pretty much anything you'd need. I did not use the dining room so I cannot comment on the food or service. There is a swimming pool which is easy to get into (not too cold) as well as a hot tub and sauna. In the same area there are rides for tots, arcade games, a pool table and air hockey for older kids. This area is very well kept and opens to the back gardens with a view of the river. By the front entrance is a little garden courtyard with lovely flowers and water feature. The grounds are extremely well-maintained and a pleasure from every window, with little niches with benches for strolls when the weather is pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near International Falls
Super 8 Fort Frances
Super 8 Fort Frances
#1 of 4 in Fort Frances
La Place Rendez Vous Hotel & Convention

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls? Share your experiences!