“Great place to stay”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is our second stay at this hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the beds are super comfy and the pool area is awesome!!! The real gem though is the river behind the hotel. We brought our fishing poles and spent a fair amount of time fishing. The scenery is beautiful and the fishing abundant. The rates are a little pricey, but worth it. We will defineately stay there again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawn g

Reviewed September 13, 2012

renovated we have stayed there off and on for 4 years a nice place probably better than the average Holiday Inn Now part of a national chain easy access to Airport and down town big pool area with chlorine

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bobtrav
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We hosted a wedding at this dive. I spent 4 days first day 80 degrees and no air conditioning in our room. 3 trips and still no air 3rd day 89 and still no air. Went to the pool no air there and so hot we couldn't stay and let the kids swim. 2nd room rented toilet tank was cracked and finally broke at 11:00 pm which flooded the room. Their solution towels on the floor and no toilet even with 2 sick kids. 3rd room next to the pool mold growing up the walls their solution live with it no rooms available. 3 other rooms on 1st floor also flooded. A double room with only 1 towel really, when asked for more they said sure never got them. Spoke with Lisa Marie she was to return my call, but no I had to call her and we get 10% off the room. WOW. My total bill was nearly $4,000 and this is how we were treated. I suggest the TeePee motel it's clean and you know what you get.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Roxi J
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here on Saturday, August 11 for one night. Had spent a week in Canada with 4 other guys fishing and we wanted to stay over in International Falls before catching our flight to Chicago on Sunday morning. We arrived around 1:30PM, well before check in time, and found our rooms were ready to move in. Check in went smoothly and the desk staff were smiling and friendly. They even made arrangements to have some breakfast out for us when out shuttle took us to the airport at 5:15AM, well before the regular breakfast hours.

The hotel looks like it has gone through a recent renovation but still has some things to accomplish. The rugs, wallpaper and ceiling tiles in the hallways were in like new condition. The lobby area was clean with fresh coffee available but the furniture looked slightly worn. The hotel is on the banks of Rainy River and the area behind the hotel is landscaped and very pretty; a nice place to sit and enjoy nature.

My room was decorated nicely with a very comfortable bed, large flatscreen TV and fresh paint and wallpaper. The fridge looked like a leftover from before the renovation as it was on the floor instead of in the new cabinet; a bit beat-up but it was quiet and operated just fine. The carpet was clean and the bathroom floor tile / wallpaper looked new. There was one of the newer curved shower curtain rods and a fair amount of counter space. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The caulking around the sink could use replacement and there were 2-3 small patches of discoloration on the bathroom ceiling. Other than these things the room was fine.

The hotel has an indoor pool, spa and sauna. I know it was a Holiday Inn when I lived there back in the 80's and the pool area looks like a Holidome; very large and spacious. Everything was in working order and clean but the spa could use some plaster work and fresh paint. The base of the wooden walls in the sauna could use a bleaching and the signs in the pool area replacement as some were cracked. Plenty of towels were available.

The bar area is quite nice and the bartender friendly and talkative. We ate lunch and dinner at the restaurant and found the service fast and friendly. The food was quite good and prices fair.

The cost of the room was a bit high but considering that we were there at the height of the tourist season and hotel is a one stop place with a bar, restaurant, indoor pool, spa, sauna and airport shuttle, I could over look that.

All and all this hotel is on the edge of being a very nice place. It’s clean and friendly but needs more attention to small details, mostly maintenance items and replacing some fixtures. However I’m a detailed oriented person and some people may not even notice these things.

I would defiantly stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the rear landscaped area rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was meeting up with friends from different parts of the country so we could visit Voyageurs National Park and that's the only reason I stayed here! Wow was I disappointed!! Most of our group had decided to stay here based on the reviews. The property is in need of major updating to say the least. I had booked a river view room and all I got was a view of the dirt behind the property with some trees. My room appeared to have water damage as well. The bathroom was moldy which made it seem dirty. The carpets were stained, both in my room and in the halls. The lighting in the room was awful. The only good thing in the room was the bed. The walls, however, are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the surrounding rooms. The morning breakfast was very limited and did not live up to the expectations of other AmericInn properties. Plus, there wasn't enough room for all of the guests to sit down for breakfast. We looked into eating at the restaurant, but found it to be pricey and decided to eat at the Chocolate Moose instead (which is a great family style restaurant). Oh, and if you need some ice, think twice about using the ice machine. There's a note on it that states it is for house use only and the staff will get mad at you if you try to fill your ice bucket from the room. The check in gal was rude and impatient and I found that to be offensive. I checked in around 5pm and they were busy, but that doesn't mean that you have to be rude. Upon check out I was going to complain, but the lady working the front desk was so nice that I couldn't complain. We'll be visiting Voyageurs again in a few years and hopefully there will be newer or different properties to stay at. I might even look into staying closer to Voyageurs (Lake Kabetogama) for the next trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank smokymtndeb
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We searched the entire city before returning to the Americann because we assumed, from outside appearances that it was too expensive. It is quite expensive but nothing else in town met our fairly modest standards so we checked in to the last available room they had. The inn is beautifully decorated around a 'northwoods' theme, even with a log exterior, and is the nicest facility in town, even considering that it is showing its age. Carpet is showing wear, ceiling tiles in the public areas, pool room and resturant are water and smoke stained. The room was not only a little worn but there was actually mold and dirty around the tub enclosure and tile floor.
The pool area was very nice and has a walkout to a lovely enclosed garden overlooking the river (and Canada 200 feet away across the river) The garden was wonderfully lit and comfortable the night we were there. Too bad the hottub was not working! When we asked for help with the hottub the night manager fussed with it unsuccessfully for several minutes before apologizing and telling us she could do no more until Monday morning, "If only I had known sooner. . ." (A fellow guest later told us that he had told the desk about the tub being broken three days earlier when he had first arrived.) The resturant appeared to be a 'destination resturant' for the community and the food was quite good although certainly a little too expensive for our tastes. I cannot over state how impressed we were with the job of landscaping that was done at this inn, it was beautiful; enugh so that we thought at first that it was out of our league. My advice is: enjoy the gardens because you are paying for them. The place is expensive but, really, it is the only place in town that has any class.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank royboy3
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel offers a clean and comfortable place to stay when traveling in the International Falls area. The staff was very friendly. The room was quiet so you could get a good nights sleep. The breakfast was decent--good selection of items. I was impressed with the fact that they are in the process of updating. They were getting rid of old furniture and televisions. I like to see an establishment taking the time to take care of their establisment. Would stay here again if in the area again. It is also not too long of a drive to Voyagers National Park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Super 8 Fort Frances
Super 8 Fort Frances
#1 of 4 in Fort Frances
La Place Rendez Vous Hotel & Convention

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls? Share your experiences!