“Great People, rooms ok, but could use some help”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls
“Great People, rooms ok, but could use some help”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

2 night stay.

Pros:
Front desk, restaurant and van staff really nice.
Fairly quiet room, average ok breakfast. WiFi free and speedy. Larger than average mini fridge (dorm size) in room plus microwave.

Cons:
Bed was hard. Very hard. Bring your own memory foam!
King bed had minimal thin blanket.
TV old CRT with stubborn remote, no cordless phone. Wired phone would not reach to bed side table.
Standard in room heater/ac was perfectly adequate, but noisy, as most of these vintage units are. 4 small Pillows were weird squarish (almost 'throw type') - did not even cover width of bed, side by side. Plan on stacking at least 2 for a standard pillow experience.
Bathroom, fairly spacious, clean except for mold line where tile met tub. Always a turn-off.
Avoid the nachos in the lounge (small bits of mystery meat and large chunks of lettuce).
Seafood in restaurant was pretty dry. But, hey - it's Minnesota and I didn't order the deep fried walleye, which is usually a good bet up north.

Unknowns: Pool and hot tub looked nice, but I didn't get a chance to use them.

Summary:
Good People and location, location, location.
When you travel pftem, people make up for a lot of room inconsistencies, within reason - of course. People here were very small-town nice. The only major drawback for me would be the hardness of the bed. Ask to see a room first and decide for yourself. I'll stay there again when back on business, (everyone I met in town told me it was the best in town.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Eveleth, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My daughter played in a basketball tournament in International Falls so we decided to spend the night so the kids could swim in the pool. There are not a lot of options in the Falls for hotels with pools so I decided on the AmericInn due to the brand. I was told when I made the reservation that the hotel had been recently remodeled. This is an old Holiday Inn and it looks like an old Holiday Inn. We had a very small poolside room and had problems with room and water temperature. We had the air on all night even though it was 20 below outside. Every time it kicked in it woke us up. The shower was an experience of hot and cold. The common areas were remodeled and clean, the breakfast OK. The room had a microwave but no mini fridge, although there was a cabinet for one. The staff was very friendly but I cannot recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana051

Travelers are raving about these International Falls hotels

NW Wisconsin
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed at this property in July,'09 and gave it less than stellar reviews. It has since changed owners/management and our subsequent visits have been great! My old review is still posted, while the newer one isn't - which certainly isn't fair to the new owners who have done an outstanding job of cleaning up the place. Remodeling has updated the facility, breakfast area is spacious with a wide variety of choices. The pool area is great for families. Staff has been polite and taken care of our every need. I highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lake-people
Crowley, TX
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We recently spent one night at the AmericInn in International Falls (visiting Voyageur's National Park). The room was clean with comfortable bed/pillow and had a microwave and frig. It was quiet. Water in shower was adequate, but didn't get very hot. We had issues with the room keys not working (requiring 3 trips to the front desk and personnel having to come to get it unlocked.) Think I may have read elsewhere that this is an issue. We didn't try the breakfast. I don't think there are many choices in International Fall and this is probably the best. We would recommend and would stay again if in the area. One thing I can definitely recommend is a fishing trip with Chris Granrude (Rainy Daze). He is a wonderful and fun guide and we had a blast!!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Pecatonica, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The AmericInn was a pleasant inexpensive stay with every thing necessary and no frills. Check in was flawless. We saw from the signs that there was a reception that night and asked for a quiet room. They stuck us in a quiet corner and we were pleased. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The breakfast was typical, but both mornings it was so crowded that we could not find an empty table and needed to retreat to our room. We got what we payed for and would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the new building. It is quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mebejim
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I look in all the hidden corners to see if a hotel is REALLY clean (see my last review of this hotel). Once again, AmericInn in INTL Falls passed with flying colors. The owner is very accessible and open to comments. The restuarant was fine and the park-like setting in the back on the river where my friend and I played cribbage was perfect. I don't think one can do better FOR THE PRICE.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank humbledbyexperience
winnipeg
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel has quite a bit going for it. I would fully agree with the other posters that mentioned this hotel is a work in progress. The new ownership have already addressed issues and are working to make it even better. Its clear that the vision and attitude are in the right place and it shows in the staff. I work in canada on the fort frances side, and although the super 8 is great, its always booked and honestly for the price the Americinn is a better deal. I get a large business suite, hot breakfast, pool internet and tv, at a very reasonable price. The staff are patient and friendly, I doubt I would ever stay at another hotel when working in the area. Two things I would highly suggest for management are, a phone in the business center, and passes to the NorthSite Gym next door as the fitness centre here doesnt cut it. Currently you can buy a gym pass there for $5. Wont break the bank and is a decent little gym. But for how cheap they offer a pass and the amount of guests that would claim them, free passes should be a given.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Super 8 Fort Frances
Super 8 Fort Frances
#1 of 4 in Fort Frances
La Place Rendez Vous Hotel & Convention

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls? Share your experiences!