“Glorified Flop House”

Rodeway Inn Vicksburg
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Vicksburg
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Rodeway in Vicksburg has seen far better days. Pulled up at entrance to be enveloped in a cloud of cigarette smoke from one of the employees smoking next to the front door. Went inside and nobody there. Finally a Indian woman appeared who didnt know what she was doing. Her husband finally came out of their living quarters and checked me in. He wasnt very friendly. Meanwhile his toddler is wandering around the lobby. The room is outdated and very worn. Bed is sway backed ond over due to be replaced. Old soiled bedspread (would have liked Gordon's infra-red lite). Wrinkled sheets which I am not sure have been changred since the last occupant. EZ chair & ottoman are worn and dirty. Carpet ditto. Wooden furniture is worn and chipped. Popcorn is missing from popcorn ceiling in areas. Olds style TV and reading lights not bright enuf to read comortably. Nice $29.95 flop house.

Room Tip: Check Trip Advisor before considering staying at this hotel. Filthy!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LarrJann
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn Vicksburg

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We are driving cross country and decided to stop and smell the roses and thought Vicksburg would be a good idea to spend a day or two checking the place out. We arrived late at night (10:00pm) after calling and was told that the place was just remodeled. When we got there, the desk clerk said it was 2 years ago..
So since I won't stay anywhere without first looking at the room. I asked to see the room.. I was given a key and told that when I put the key in I should jiggle the handle to get the door open.. So I went it and pulled off the bedspread, The blanket was thin enough to see through, the carpet was dirty, but I still went to check out the bathroom.. Open the light, hit the shower curtain and out fell a ROACH! I screamed and ran out of the room (And I grew up in NYC... very used to roaches but not in my room!) The bathroom was tiny and the toilet was tiny...
The desk clerk tried to convince us to look at another room, but wouldn't you think that he would have given us the best room to check out to begin with? And he went to check if I was right or not about the roach!! What's that about?? I thought the customer is suppose to always be right?
Stay away until or if they get their act together...

Room Tip: Do NOT check in to this place until you totally check out a room first..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Having read other reviews I was expecting a bit more of this motel. The lady at check-in was pleasant enough, but when I got to the room the door was hard to open, and the wall structure was visibly thin and weak. Finally getting in the door I was met by a fairly funky smell in this non-smoking room. The door was then hard to align properly to deadbolt.

OK, looking around, decor is pretty old and dated; if you want to picture the chairs, tables, etc, think student share house - it's a bit of a hodge-podge of stuff all looking, and feeling, well past it's use by date. Having said which, the timber bedhead, besides, TV cabinet, and desk did seem to match, but were a very old style that would actually come up nicely with a refurbishment. Beyond that, things are clearly done to a budget; rough-as-guts paint jobs, groaning mini fridge, old cheap CRT TV with ordinary picture quality (to be fair there were lots of channels), wonky fixtures, rusty microwave, bottom of the range towels, roaring bathroom fan, and a weak, slow wi-fi signal. The coffee maker was dirty and had to be washed out, there was slop up the mirror, like someone had spat out their toothpaste on it and it had dried there and not been cleaned off. Even the coffee and sugar packets were greasy (I don't know what from). Not that you should worry - the coffee was undrinkable anyway.

This didn't inspire me to rush to go to bed. Again sheets and pillows were well worn and bottom of the range. The king bed however turned out to be firm and comfortable, and even if they weren't good quality, at least the bed dressings were clean and the pillow could be bashed into a decent shape, and all up gave a good night's sleep. The shower was hot and had good pressure (almost too good), and the cheap rough towels gave my a skin a nice defoliation afterwards. A basic breakfast was provided in a tiny room (two tables, four chairs); cereal, toast/bagels, pastry, fruit drink (not juice), coffee; no fruit or other luxuries. Staff were pleasant.

All up this place wasn't dear, but at over $70 a night including tax it should be better. If it was under $50 it would be more value for money. This was the first time I'd ever stayed in a Rodeway Inn, and, to be honest, probably the last.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Boxing_Kangaroo
Reviewed March 31, 2012

When you snag a hotel room for a night for under $50 you get a little nervous. No need. This was a great value. Our room was clean, both receptionists were very friendly. Standard small continental breakfast- adequate. Ac worked fine, bed was a little better than a standard value hotel (not plush but didn't hurt my back.) room did have a slightly stale smell and could have used an extra pillow. Overall, very pleased.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank becksKC
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Stopped here on a road trip overnight. Location terrific, right off the highway. Many restaurants nearby. I would have given it a higher rating, but the lobby and breakfast room is what brought it down. This facility is an older building that was apparently rehabbed a few years back. With some TLC it could be nice again. Our room was clean, but there were two things that brought it down. The two upholstered chairs were worn...too worm to be in the room still. (Now the computer desk showed some wear, but that I can accept easier.) There was a 'patch job' in the ceiling of the bathroom over the shower that was horribly done and very unsightly.

The furnishings in the room had been nice at one time and just looked 'tired' now. The granite counter top for the vanity (large) could not look tired though, and really dressed it up. There was a coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board provided. The mini fridge and microwave were stacked together and SITTING ON THE FLOOR. Ugh, put it on a little table! The bed was firm and comfortable (I like firm). The bed (a king) could have been dressed up by added two more pillows (what we saw in a different motel we stayed in the night prior). One thing that really pleased us is, we heard absolutely no noise from neighboring units. The motel was quite full as the parking lot was packed.

The lobby was over-due for a make-over. It was worn and tired and in need of maintenance. The cabinet doors behind the reception desk were in dire need of repair. This made for a very poor first impression. The breakfast room was tiny with only two tables (go figure). The selection was minimal, but the attendant was good at keeping it stocked. The breakfast is served starting at 5 a.m., we were told it is earlier than typical to accommodate construction workers that have been staying there. (Any motels we have stayed in that house temporary long-term construction workers, we have found the interiors to be more worn. Just an observation.)

The customer service was very good. Both the check in and check out staff were very friendly and accommodating. We received a call about 5 minutes after arriving in our room to be sure everything was fine.

If Vicksburg is on our agenda again in the future, we will definitely consider staying here for an over night. The value for our money pleased us.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Rooms were the cleaner than any of the other reasonably priced motels we have stayed, including some that were more expensive than the Rodeaway. Service good, breakfast adequate. Parking no problems at all.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Kortmann
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Room needed a good cleaning
Pool was ok