“The whole package including the smoke”
Review of Lady Luck Hotel

Lady Luck Hotel
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Vicksburg
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Lady luck has a nice package for $89 that includes $10 freeplay and the buffet for two and your room. We used the escalator up to a nice buffet on the second floor atrium overlooking the MS river. The machines do what machines do but the coctails flowed and the motel was adjacent via a breezeway. The motel has no elevator and rooms are on the small side but clean and we had one facing the river. A night here is all we could handle due to the cigarette smoke which permeated everything even the no smoking room we had. So, I say this was the only drawback. If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke you might get a room near the front desk and gamble near the atrium entrance. A nice touch here is you can approach the bar for a comped drink and leave the usual buck tip without waiting for a server to show up for a freebee..

Room Tip: Near the front desk on the first floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikolai22

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is the first time to stay at a Hotel like this. When I called to make reservations they were booked except for a suite, so they accommodated me on that which was nice. The whirlpool tub in the room was nice so long as you put a something under the stopper to keep the water in. What the problem was that every hour from about 8p until i took the phone off the hook at around 4 am people kept calling and asking if that was the front desk, so you can imagine what kind of sleep we got. When I checked out and told them about it at the desk the girl said your joking right and just can't be done. Then the other problem was the Breakfast which I have seen the cheaper hotels have better breakfast then these people. It consisted of muffin, cereal juice and coffee which was not fresh.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GLENN N
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for our anniversary. We stayed in an executive suite and the room was nice and clean. There were drinks in the fridge. The bed was very comfy! We didn't make it down for breakfast so i have no idea about that. Loved the room and the jacuzzi. The only one small complaint i have is that they said check in is at 3 and when we arrived at 3 we had about an hour wait for our room to get ready. But it wasn't that big of a deal we just walked around the casino while we waited.

The casino was wonderful loved the band . We ate at the farmer's pick buffet and it was wonderful. The day we left we ate at o&h express and it was very good too.
We enjoyed it so much we are going back this Saturday to celebrate mine and my moms bday!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here one night and was completely satisfied with the accommodations. However, the hotel's policy of making photocopies of the guest's personal ID and credit card - without asking permission first - is offensive, and, with rightful concerns of the risks of identity theft, is a policy that a hotel of this caliber doesn't need and ought to get rid of as quickly as possible. (More about that later.)

The hotel itself is clean and comfortable, and the rooms, while slightly smaller than average for this type of policy, are reminiscent of what one might expect at a mid-tier chain motel property, such as Fairfield Inn. Beds are comfortable and provide a good night's sleep, and the bathroom was spotless. The motel is adjacent to the casino and is connected via an enclosed hallway/walkway. Parking is ample and right outside of the door.

There is a self-serve breakfast available in a breakfast area adjacent to the lobby which appears to offer a variety of choices. I did not eat the breakfast so cannot comment on its quality. Coffee is available in the lobby 24/7.

I had no difficulty connecting to, or using, the hotel-supplied internet.

The staff with whom I dealt were pleasant and helpful - to the degree that they could be.

Now, about the ID copy policy... when I checked in, the front desk person requested to ID and credit card, and, before I could say anything, had made photocopies of each. Having twice had personal experience in the past with hotel copies of these documents being misused (NOT at this particular hotel) including, in one instance, thousands of dollars of charges being racked up on my credit card, I never allow anyone - hotels or others - to ever make physical copies of these sensitive personal documents, and I will not stay in a hotel that demands that they be able to do so. There is no reason why any hotel needs to physically copy these, and if they insist that they need to, it sends a message that there might be reasons why the property may not be a good place to stay. I am happy to allow hotel staff to examine the document to verify my identity and to transcribe any relevant information, but to make a copy of these documents opens the door to the potential for their misuse. Now, having said that, I need to emphasize here that these comments are, in no way, to imply any improper behavior or misuse of these documents by this establishment or a lack of care in their handling. Rather, I am simply pointing out that having had problems with such copying at 2 other hotels in the past, there is good reason not to allow any hotel to make copies.

It is my policy, when writing review, to downgrade my rating of any hotel that requires such an offensive, unnecessary policy, as I consider it a severe breach of guest trust and a major invasion into the guest's personal privacy. Had this hotel not had such a policy, I would have rated it 'excellent'.

Putting aside these concerns - this is a very nice, cozy and comfortable property. It's a shame that the management feels that it needs to have such an invasive policy, and it is my hope that management re-evaluates this policy and gets rid of it as soon as possible.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank step12dude
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were coming through Vicksburg, MS on our way home and decided it would be fun to stop stretch our legs and play in the casino for awhile. The Lady Luck Hotel and Casino was the only place that have vacancy so we chose them. We arrived late after dark so lighting was minimum and everything just looked out dated and needed some attention, after a day worth of traffic up and down the halls. The beds were average, rooms cool, ample amount of towels and soaps and all. Once we woke up and started stirring around I was disgusted when I started seeing roaches in our room. My mother and Father stayed next door to us and discovered standing water with mildew floating on top, stagnant and obviously not been noticed by house cleaning in quite sometime. Among other things we had noticed we decided to speak with the front desk and they were alarmed but yet understand and accommodating. So I have to say the staff was helpful but I would never reccomend a stay at this hotel and casino. Hopefully management will address all the concerns for the safety and health risk for others willing to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Traveler-4836
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Pros: Clean hotel, friendly staff. Very nice indoor swimming pool with a lift for disabled who need it. I enjoyed the views of the river. Watched barge traffic go by and several geese on the grounds and flying around the river front. My wife was at a Fiber Arts convention and the facilities were very nice. All of the. Ground were very clean.

Cons: No elevator to the second floor. I did not make my reservation, a friend had and did not specify a handicap room. I have a bad hip, bad back, and foot problems and had a very hard time getting up stairs. At the desk they just said no ground floor rooms were available, it would have been nice for them to offer help getting my bags upstairs to my room. I struggled with the baks and walking with a can and getting up stairs. Also, no ice or vending machines up stairs. However, a house keeper dis offer to go down and get a few drinks for me. The help there was appreciated. Only other thing I would is smoke free, I can not tolerate smoke. Could not stay in the casino more than an hour.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris T
vicksburggm, General Manager at Lady Luck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that we could not get you a first floor room. I have spoken with our front desk to be aware when guest come in with luggage and they have to put them upstairs to make sure they always offer assistance. Smoke Free Vicksburg is working on getting all public areas smoke free and that would help us here.

Joann McPhaul

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was smell and dirty. The rugs were stained. We were unable to get cold water out of the tap in the bathroom. The bathroom was also dirty. No kleenex. and i/ roll to toilet tissue. We would NOT recommended staying there. The inclded buffet at the casino was cold, dry and also horrible. The dining room was dirty, Help in the dining room was horrible. We had no silverware and they swept under our table while we ate. The table was very sticky.

Room Tip: I would say a tent would be better then this place
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family