“Step Back in Time!”

Ranked #7 of 11 Vicksburg B&B and Inns
Hunt, Texas
“Step Back in Time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

What a nice experience to step back in time. This well kept and beautiful southern mansion offers quite country house luxury. This is not The Four Seasons, or the Waldorf but a museum home with period detailed guest rooms. We stayed in the main mansion in a terraced front bedroom. In the winter without the beautiful trees obstructing the view you see the mighty Mississippi. Out room was decorated in grand old southern style, a bit aged but the bed was comfortable. The pool in the beautiful gardens was fantastic on a hot summer afternoon. We had a lovely dinner in the mansion restaurant with impeccable service. My recommendation is to enjoy the history of the setting and not worry about some of the tired decorations or the tricky bathtub shower faucets. Loved the atmosphere and as picky as I can be, I just went with flow of the house. Service was very friendly. Stay here when your travels take you to Vicksburg.

Room Tip: The pool is the fitness center. Rhett Butler did not lift weights. Jog through the town.
1 Thank P H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Clinton, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I went here for dinner one night, and had a wonderful experience. The dining room was full when we arrived, so we wandered around and explored the house and grounds. It is very well maintained, and provides a glimpse into the past. After being seated, we were greeted by a very friendly, informative, and humorous waiter. He helped us select the best dishes, and was very attentive. The lobster ravioli appetizer was very good. The tilapia almondine and seafood pasta were delicious. The chef, Shunta Burks, came out and spoke to us and asked how everything was. He has done such a great job at this restaurant. I can honestly say this was one of the best dining experiences I have had in a while. I highly recommend Cedar Grove!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Estero, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This house is beautiful and so is their restaurant. We didn't stay here but went there for dinner one night. They were so nice, let us walk all around and we had a delicious dinner there. The grounds and home are lovely, will try to stay there next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were very happy with our big room on second floor of the main house. We also enjoyed the history and self guided walking tour of the property. This is a very large home and gardens, with so many original pieces, not to mention a civil war canon ball. Three other couples were on our floor but we didn't hear anything all night and had a very restful evening...complete with sherry and chocolate and a turn down service. Loved it! Breakfast was so good and so was our sweet host. Very attentive in keeping us in coffee.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,779 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our third trip to Cedar Grove Mansion Inn and Restaurant in Vicksburg, Mississippi, but this was the first time we slept in the Grant Room, in the same bed that historians claim General Grant slept in after accepting the surrender of Vicksburg in 1863. From the minute that Antonio carried our luggage into the room, we couldn't have had a more enjoyable time for three days. Miss P (Phyllis) provided tasty breakfasts. Kenny, the bartender, and Anthony, the waiter, were exceptional, too. And chef Shunta Burks introduced me to gumbo and catfish. Other wonderful things on the menu included lobster ravioli, crab cakes, salmon, grilled chicken, tilapia and ribeye steak. Cedar Grove is an historic mansion on the riverfront. A cannonball remains in the floor, a relic of the 1863 shelling by Union gunboats during the siege of the city. Grant would recognize the battlefield and the riverfront and the old courthouse that features a magnificent museum. But the four riverboat casinos are a modern addition. I cashed $30 at one of them. So call me a high roller.

Monroe, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've stayed at Cedar Grove several times, and always found it to be exceptional and worthy of its AAA rating. So my husband and I chose it for a birthday celebration.

We stayed in one of the guest cottages and booked dinner at the restaurant.

While I fully realize older properties are the dickens to keep up, it was the lack of attention to details that made the difference here.

The cottage, while very clean, showed significant wear with stained furnishings and a bleach-spotted matellaise bedspread. The beautifully draped wrought-iron bed creaked and rattled with every movement, and the dust ruffle was torn in multiple places. All -- and I mean ALL -- of the pictures were crooked, as were the lamp shades, and some of the canister light bulbs were out, including the one over the wet bar. A dead and decaying bird on the porch was removed when we notified management of it.

Soundproofing also is an issue in cottage 32 if the adjoining cottage 29 is booked. I think this might be the first time I have ever brushed my teeth in the morning fully aware of the activities of the couple next door.

Although the staff was notified it was a special occasion, we were not offered a single amenity by the property -- a flower in the room or even a dessert at dinner, although a family member had ordered champagne sent to us and the service was aware of the celebration.

The meal at dinner could have been purchased at any Sam's -- my husband ordered tuna and I ordered tilapia. Both were served with steamed squash and a yellow rice that definitely came from a kit. Not at all special, I'm very sorry to say.

But the kicker was that champagne my daughter ordered. The restaurant did not serve any champagnes by the glass, as she was told they did when she wanted to surprise me for my birthday. So we selected a reasonably priced bottle from the list. It didn't arrive with the bread. It didn't arrive with the appetizer she also ordered for us. It didn't arrive with the salad. Finally, a bucket showed up next to our table -- with no champagne.

When the bottle finally arrived -- and our server told us she was trying to chill it for us -- it was HOT. I guess we wonder what kind of establishment doesn't keep a few bottles of champagne chilled if they're on the wine list?

In all, we made the best of it and had a good time. But it would have been so easy for it to have been special, and expecting special particularly with a AAA diamond rating. We had good memories of this property and expected much more of Cedar Grove.

Room Tip: Don't stay in cottage 32 unless you're also renting cottage 29, unless you want to hear EVER...
1 Thank kspurlock
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay. We stayed in the Library Suite because we wanted the living area and the sleeping area separate. The room was beautiful; it met our needs. We agree that this room is perfect for a couple wanting a romantic getaway. The breakfasts that were served were "true" Southern dishes. We ate dinner at the mansion one evening and enjoyed it. The food and drinks were delicious, and our server, Anthony, was polite, friendly, and helpful. The bartender was friendly and fun to talk with. I tried the Cream Brûlée martini and loved it. We did participate in the tour and found out a lot of historical and fun facts about the mansion. As we were touring, we found out a lot of interesting facts about the suite we stayed in.

As we checked in, the desk clerk did not give us a lot of information on the mansion policies and procedures that should have been given to us as we checked in. However, later, another desk clerk was more helpful and gave us the materials and information that we should have received when we checked in.

Room Tip: If you are a Civil War fanatic, stay in the generals' suite...Gen. Grant; Gen. Lee; or Gen. Sher...
1 Thank Freckles75