“Tattered beauty”

Cedar Grove Mansion Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 11 Vicksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights during a bike trip along the Natchez Trace. It' a beautiful old property that is showing it's age in some places. The group was in the Carriage House. The suites all had a similar layout but each were uniquely furnished with period pieces. I stayed in Prissie's Suite and loved it even though it was far from perfect. The bathroom in particular was dated and had some issues but still perfectly functional. In some ways those are the kinds of things that add character to places like this. They're not totally predictable and that's part of the charm. We peaked in some of the rooms in the main building that weren't occupied and those seemed to be more polished and upscale then those in the Carriage House.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Cedar Grove Mansion Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The website gives a misleading view of this property. It is in need of considerable maintenance. Our room had no basin plug, mould on the bath tiles, curtain linings were in shreds. Altogether a very gloomy room. Breakfast was appalling. The three items of hot food were kept on a hotplate, but underneath the air conditioning so the food was cold! Apart from this there was just a bowl of fresh fruit and pots of yogurt- apparently this was a Souther Breakfast!!
We were due to stay 4 nights but checked out after only one.we have stayed in many Bed & Breakfasts in the USA and this must rank as the worst.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andy M
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Part of the charm of this beautiful mansion is the original condition of so much of the building. The place is a bit rundown, but with absolutely beautifully furnished rooms, a fabulous swimming pool and a very pleasant restaurant, I found the experience overall to be very good. I had wanted to stay in one of Vicksburg's mansions when I planned my trip through the South, and Cedar Grove did the trick, complete with Civil War canon ball embedded in the wall. I really love this period of architecture, and appreciate that maintaining an historic building takes a life time of passion. I'm so pleased that Cedar Grove wasn't "restored to death", but still had a creaky (but elegant and beautiful) staircase and the odd crack or two. I could feel the age of the place, but also sense the lives of those who had lived there in the past as I walked through with the type written notes of the self-guided tour. The reception area did have a bit of a musty smell about it, I guess this happens in the humidity of the South, but the people working there were friendly, honest and nice to chat with. I enjoyed my stay at Cedar Grove Mansion Inn.

Room Tip: Take a room in the main house - next time I'd like to stay at the front with the balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidNSW
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I drove to Vicksburg and visited my daughter there where she and a friend were staying. She gave me the tour of the inn and grounds that she received. She enjoyed all aspects of her stay -- polite, helpful staff, historic atmosphere, generous and delicious complementary breakfast. I joined them for dinner at the restaurant and it was splendid - efficient, attentive wait staff, superb food and drinks, enjoyable atmosphere. The price is more than I normally spend for dining out, but definitely worth it for a special night out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tallulah60
Reviewed July 20, 2012

From the pictures on the computer looked great. In person was not that great. A little run down and needs repairs. A little spooky at night. The restaurant was very good. Food and service was good. Just wasn't crazy about the sleeping quarters.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottages across the street. Better than the house.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda B
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was the best bed and breakfast I've stayed in. Typically I like more modernized accomodations but Cedar Grove was the exception. It is furnished with many of the original occupant's furniture and belongings and it feels like they never left. The house has a wonderful history. General Grant stayed in the downstairs master bedroom, the bed he slept in is still there. We stayed in that room one night and the Sherman room another night. Loved both rooms but the Grant room is near the entrance and main lobby so there was alot of noise throughout the night and morning. The Sherman room was comfy and quiet. The library is 90% full of the original owners, the Kleins, books and I could have spent a day looking through them. If I were to visit again I would like to stay in the Rhett or Scarlett suite on the third floor or in the basement below the library - plenty of room and quiet in all these locations. Beds comfy, great breakfast and friendly staff. Everyone is free to walk around and explore and there are brochures with the history of the property and each room to guide you as you explore.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beka56459
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stopped over in Vicksburg on a long trip from Georgia to Texas. We were looking for something that was more interesting than the casinos or your typical roadside hotel, and this was it. We have two young kids (7 & 3) and they enjoyed the pool and the very large courtyard. We all enjoyed learning about the history of the property and seeing the paintings and antiques throughout the mansion. The lady of the house during the Civil War was the niece of General Sherman, so the house survived, as did many of the furnishings.

We stayed in the Elizabeth Suite. Kids slept on the trundle bed in the front portion of the room. As another Trip Advisor review indicates, it isn't a true two room suite; just one large room with a bathroom in the middle creating enough separation that you don't feel like the kids are at your feet.

My wife and I both had the talapia dish at the hotel restaurant. It was excellent. There wasn't a kids menu that I remember, but the wait staff and chef were very accomodating and created some speciality dishes for our kids at a reasonable price and without a fuss.

Another Trip Advisor review mentions the proximity to the train tacks. The tracks were a couple of blocks over and I think you would have heard the train in any of the B&B's near the old section of town. We heard the train just once maybe around 10 pm or so, but not really that big a deal to us. If anything, it added another element of nastalgia.

Breakfast was nothing special, but not bad. Basic eggs and bisquits. I can see why some people might be a little disappointed and think it was a missed opportunity for the hotel owners to make it a top notch experience without taking on a considerable expense. It would have been nice if there were an assortments of muffins and/or some fruit, granola, yogurt etc.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for pickiness, I would confess to be close to a ten( very picky), and overall Cedar Grove was a pleasant experience for our family and I would recommend it to anyone planning to stay a night or two in Vicksburg.

Room Tip: Since we had young kids, we requested a room away from the main house for fear we might disturb some...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family