“Wonderful food!”

Ranked #2 of 132 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 6, 2011

You don't have to go all the way to the gulf to get great seafood. We eat here each time we are through Vicksburg and have never been disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Rusty's Riverfront Grill

Reviewed June 4, 2011

A lot of locals eat at Rusty's. That says something about it.

Arriving early on a weeknight, I was given a pager and an estimated 45 minute wait for a table for two. We enjoyed drinks and a great conversation with a local couple, but by the time we were seated I was beyond peckish. I ordered the fried green tomatoes as soon as the waitress came by for our drink order, and we ordered dinner when she brought the drinks.

It took more than 30 minutes for the appetizer to arrive - that's after waiting 45 minutes to be seated. When you're hungry, and as the minutes tick by, the quality of the food matters less and less. That's too bad, because the fried green tomatoes were excellent: crispy, firm and topped with hollandaise and crabmeat.

The fish dishes were well-prepared, but the green beans were soggy and loaded with fat. Give up on a green vegetable and get the cheese grits instead.

We didn't order dessert, simply because we didn't want to risk waiting long into the night for it to show up. Instead, we picked up a pint of ice cream and shared it in the car on a hot, humid Mississippi night.

I give high marks to our server, who did her best to keep things moving despite the kitchen.

Legitimate restaurant reviewers don't judge an establishment in fewer than three visits, so don't skip Rusty's based on my opinion alone; maybe it was just a very bad night in the kitchen.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed May 31, 2011

If you really like a lot of bread then this is the place for you! Hidden amongst the carb was a nice sized soft shelled crab- but it could have been a lot better! Very little atmosphere & place had a need for a good cleaning. Staff needs to perk up!

3  Thank oldnovice
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I read about Rusty's and the overwhelming majority was very favorable. I usually don't write reviews but thought I should. I just left the restaurant and drove to the hotel. I'm missing the NBA playoffs to write this.
I ordered crabclaws which were good, had better but these were good. I ordered blackened grouper and the choice of sides was either french fries, onion rings, baked potato, etc. Seems like I read somewhere about them having steamed veg., but they didn't.
With my salad I didn't get bread nor was I offered any. My waiter didn't come back so I ate the salad and it was o.k.
When I noticed another table with bread I asked my waiter and he said I've some warming up for you.
I didn't have much need for rolls now but they were good.
When I got the grouper it was not like any blackened fish I'd had before. It was as if it was left over. The blackened seasoning, or whatever it was, was very thick and didn't taste like a blackened seasoning, just very salty, not at all spicy.
The french fries were shoestring and not very good, warm as a matter of fact.
I had to ask for refills more than once and water at the end of my meal. Next table over was also complaining about not getting refills.
I would overlook service if the food is good. But 2 out of 2 ain't very good.
Last time we were in Vicksburg we ate at a very nice restaurant downtown but can't remember the name.
When I get back home I am going to look it up. It was excellent and so much better than this one.
I recommend looking at other choices. To give them the benefit of the doubt they may have had better entrees but I will not go back to find out.
I forgot to mention it was expensive. For the grouper, tea and crab claws, the check was 44.80, for 1 person.

1  Thank Kickinback
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Great food, great service. I loved it!! We've never eaten in Vicksburg and came over just for a change of pace. Trip advisor rated them really high so we tried it. Great choice. Thanks!