“Maybe the best fried chicken in the world”

Walnut Hills Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 133 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

2 of us ate chicken and I had fresh salmon. I'm not sure who among us was the most satisfied. It's a large restaurant, so reservations are not necessary. The service was excellent and prices very reasonable.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This restaurant has it all. Great atmosphere. Great food. Decent prices. The fried green tomatoes with the crawfish cream were the best fried green tomatoes that I've ever had! The hush puppies were the best I've EVER had! The fried catfish was outstanding! The sides were all good southern standards one would want to eat in a place like Vicksburg.
The ambiance in the old house in old town Vicksburg was great.
The service was very good.
One disappointment: we were told that we would eat round table family style there. But when we walked in for dinner, we discovered that round table was at lunch time only. So, if this is what you want, be sure to go at lunchtime. However, we stayed anyway and ordered off the menu and it was very good.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ate an early dinner here in the middle of the week. Luckily for us, there was no wait. The food was great, service nice and friendly, but not overly cloying, and the old house itself is lovely. My husband says that this was the best gumbo he has ever had (and he loves his gumbo). The rib dinner was good, salad was pleasant although some might say predictable, but it suited me fine. If I ever get back to Vicksburg, it will be the first place I go to eat.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We enjoyed eating in this neat old house, but found the food to be rather ordinary. The servings were large but rather unmemorable.

Walnut H, Owner at Walnut Hills Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that your food was not memorable. That's certainly not our standard... we must have had an off day on your visit! Please try us again sometime!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stopped in for lunch while in route from Florida to Arkansas based on roadside sign. The restaurant is located in a large home built in the 1800's. Wife ordered corn bisque and I ordered club sandwich with fries. My club was good. Turkey and ham was thick sliced and not deli style thin. Good taste. Fries were a bit different with some sort of batter coating similar what you would find on fish. Did not really add any special unique flavor to the fries, so why do it? Wife stated the corn bisque was very good.
Service was just ok. My diet coke was empty without an offer of a refill. For a restaurant that is a bit pricier than most, a Diet Coke refill is not too much to ask.
If you like eclectic, this is your spot. If you like value and useful service, keep driving.

Walnut H, Manager at Walnut Hills Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your review. We value all feedback and try to make our little restaurant the best we can for our customers. With great food on all counts and only the Diet Coke to mention, how was the rest of the service? Did it come out quickly? We feel we provide an excellent value to our town.

Been to Walnut Hills Restaurant? Share your experiences!