“A bit out of the way, but worth the visit”
Review of Sol Azteca

Sol Azteca
Ranked #74 of 134 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 3, 2014

One of the few restaurants in Vicksburg we really enjoy going to for supper and family get togethers. If you are looking for atmosphere, this isn't the place. But, if you want a really good meal at a good price it is worth going to. Food is far more flavorful/tasty than El Sombrero, but isn't in a convenient location and lacks the Spanish atmosphere of El Sombrero. Their chili relleno tastes fantastic and is quite filling. Have a hearty appetite? Order #36, a little of almost everything, then make plenty of room for all the plates. Most of the menu is at or below $10 and you won't leave hungry. Although English isn't the first language for many of the employees, they get the orders right. If you want a little comedy, order a mixed drink as the waiter probably will have no idea what it is you are ordering.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Food was pretty good, atmosphere (in my opinion) was pretty terrible... I believe this had to do with the florescent lighting; reminded me of an elks lodge or something.

However...they have the best frozen margaritas in town; pace yourself. 2 is perfect...3 may result in unintended consequences.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was in Vicksburg for work and asked the one Latina working at the hospital if there were a lot of Latino people in Vicksburg. She said facetiously that she was the only one. While that isn't true, there certainly weren't many. So, to have some quality Mexican food seemed to be a far stretch. However, Sol Azteca was recommended by another coworker and I took a chance. Whenever I try a new Mexican restaurant I always order the Chile Verde first. It's a personal litmus test. If they do chile verde right, they will get high respect from me.

Chile verde was on the menu and I ordered it burrito style. It was not what I expected. Typically chile verde is pork stewed in green chiles and so it is a wetter dish. What I got was a burrito with pork prepared more like fajita style and a pale green sauce on top of the burrito. Here's the deal...it was delicious! The pork was so tender but it appeared that it had been griddled to give it some char and crispy edges. And there was a lot of it too. The sauce was tangy and and a great accent to the pork. So, while this was not what I expected, I was not disappointed.

Service was average.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This restaurant has been a blessing for my family. It has great Mexican food but the service is the best, fastest service of any restaurant I have ever had.

Even if you go during prime dinner rush from 6 to 8 it is never too crowded and from the time you order until the time you get your food is less than 10 minutes. Most times around 5 minutes.

If you get a chance to stop by try the Triple Fajitas that has Chicken, Beef and Shrimp. That's my husband's go to dinner entree.

They have some of the best rice and beans.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Sol Azteca is absolutley disgusting. The WORST mexican in Vicksburg. It isn't even cheap. The service also sucks. It's so hard to communicate with the staff. They doont even know what is on their own menu..

Been to Sol Azteca? Share your experiences!