“One of the Best Free Museums”

Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum and Interpretive Center
Ranked #5 of 40 things to do in Vicksburg
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We just loved this museum! I loved how interactive most of the displays were, you could tell much thought and planning went into keeping this museum fresh. Even the ones geared towards children were so interesting, I was "playing" for longer than expected! Lots of little informational films, be sure to catch the longer film at the beginning and go into the tent to see another good selection. One of my favorite parts was exploring the ship connected to the museum. They went into great detail recreating all of the cabins and lunch area - they even have a sample menu and worksheets for the kids. One of the best museums at any price, and very well maintained!

1  Thank Retr0Travel
All reviews
"army corps of engineers"
in 23 reviews
"self guided tour"
in 6 reviews
"rainy day"

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My 9-year-old and I really enjoyed the museum. It had plenty to keep both him and I entertained. It really surprised me this museum was free as I would definitely by willing to pay to get in.

You can also explore the boat, but it was a bit disappointing. It wasn't interactive at all. Just a boat to walk through.

Overall we enjoyed our visit and will definitely go back.

If you visit this museum, I would also suggest checking out the Depot Museum and murals across the street. All three took us less than half the day.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Built by the USACE to showcase their efforts on the MS River, the museum is new and modern with lots of interactive displays for kids and adults alike. Its spacious but not terribly broad or deep in the scope of information available. So if you're a real history buff or really looking for lots of artifacts and old items on display, this is prob not for you. Does connect to real, large vessel that can be toured so that's kind of cool.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

You can't beat FREE! I've been here 4 times in the last couple of years. With my husband,father and 2 of my 3 kids. Everyone loves it and it is full of great interactive information! Will return soon with my oldest daughter,who has yet been able to take in the history and sights of Vicksburg! Great experience!

2  Thank Greywolf74
See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This museum is incredibly informative and interesting. We really enjoyed learning more about the river and using all the hands on activities...even my 4 year old! Also, touring the Corps boat was really neat!! Don't miss this attraction!!

Travelers who viewed Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum and Interpretive Center also viewed

Been to Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum and Interpretive Center? Share your experiences!