“Mater Magic”

The Tomato Place
Ranked #4 of 132 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I first noticed this place on Trip Advisor but forgot about. We were at the Visitor's Center and the lady there suggested that we take a picnic lunch to the park. I asked about a local sandwich shop and she mentioned The Tomato Place and showed me a picture of it. That is when I remembered it and decided to go.

I don't know if I would have noticed it if I hadn't seen it on Trip Advisor. It is a very eclectic little roadside fruit stand looking kind of place. Inside you will find tomatoes! And other vegetables. There is a freezer chocked full of various flavors of frozen smoothies. Pick one out and they will stick it into the microwave and then blend it up for you. We shared a strawberry one...very good and refreshing.

In the back you will find a small counter with sandwiches and a table piled with different types of home made bread. There are a few tables and chairs for dining. I ordered the tomato sandwich on wheat bread and my husband chose the club on wheat. While the order was being prepared in the little building next door, we walked around and looked at the various wares for sale. They have bottles of house made sauces that are poured into wine and beer bottles. The server brought out some fresh pork skins to sample along with the sweet pepper sauce. I am not a fan of pork skins but they were pretty good. The sauce was very good and the server added a little cup in our to go sack because she said it goes well with the club sandwich.

We ate our meals in the park and my sandwich was very good. My husband said his bread was too crumbly but otherwise was good.

1  Thank Hrpamw

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Hah! just looking at this sweet little place will make you smile, and the food will make you grin. It's that good. The place is tiny but what they pack into the joint--from bread to pastries to veggies--is quite astonishing. this was my first trip to the American South and this was, yes, my first po'boy. Hot diggety dog. Vegetarians, rejoice--they will take care of you. And, you will be joined by fat bumble bees outside by the bottle tree.
I loved every minute of it, but it is NOT for those looking for a white-clothed tabletop.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This place is easy to miss if you're not looking for it on the west side of Hwy. 61 South. The building itself is not the best looking but inside you will find fresh vegetables and fruits, frozen options, fresh bakery, jellies, sandwiches, beverages and a few tables to sit down and dine. If you like a homemade tomato chutney, buy a bottle of Mississippi Fever sauce. It's like a sweet/sour tomato relish and is great on meats or fish.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We found this place on TripAdvisor. We would not have stopped there otherwise. It looks like a craftsy vegetable stand, but hides a restaurant inside. We loved the food so much that we went back another day during our short trip to Vicksburg. In March I was treated to a tomato sandwich that tasted like it had just been picked from the garden. The ear of steamed corn was also great. Others in my party tried the pimento cheese sandwich, the club sandwich, the BLT, and the cheeseburger. The fries were among the best we had ever tasted. Try the Mississippi Fever from the menu. I will definitely recommend this quirky restaurant. Go at an off-hour as the restaurant is small and tables are crowded together.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our family had a blast at the Tomato place; its crazy décor was entertaining; food was excellent! get the strawberry banana smoothie, BLTs were delicious and the grits were buttery and awesome; kooky waitress was a delight!

Been to The Tomato Place? Share your experiences!