“Very vegetarian friendly”

The Tomato Place
Ranked #4 of 136 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My FIL was really excited to find some vegetarian cuisine - not always an easy ask in the South. We pulled up, and like all the other reviewers say, it looked...Different ... But we were not disappointed. We had tomato/avocado sandwiches, fried green tomatoes and the grits. Loved the sandwiches and fgt, it was my very first time eating grits. We had blood orange lemonade (delightful) and took home some boiled peanuts which I haven't been brave enough to try (really! People eat soggy peanuts?) but my FIL and SIL liked them. The service was sweet, and the prices were reasonable. A little sticky, and a little dusty, but it was a pretty good meal.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My sister and I ate there everyday when we were in Vicksburg. The food was delicious, the staff charming and the atmosphere was wonderful. Mississippi blues played overhead while we ate. We're planning our next trip to Vicksburg from Texas just to come back here. Well worth it!! You won't be disappointed!!!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

So the first time my friend pulled up in front of The Tomato Place I thought NO WAY! I've eaten in some funky places but it just looked like a roadside fruit stand from say South Carolina or anywhere else in The South. I was just being all judgey and getting above my raisings, as we say below the Mason Dixon, because it is so good! The front of the Tomato Place is an actual fruit/vegetable stand with gorgeous tomatoes, squash, corn or whatever is in season. Inside shelves are stuffed with jars of Vicksburg fig preserves, Satsuma orange jelly and their incredible Mississippi Fever, a sweet/hot condiment they make for dipping pork skins. (Since I am addicted to the latter, I shove bottles of it into my checked, airline luggage, wrapped oh, so tenderly in several pairs of socks for protection.) Before ordering though, act like you've been there before and grab a frozen smoothie from the beckoning wall of glass door freezers as you enter. At the counter they will microwave then purée your selection into cups of frozen heaven! There is Purple Haze, Strawberry Fields, Yellow Submarine and more. These smoothies consist of various combos of bananas, blackberries, oranges, lime, strawberries and ice -- just simple and delicious. There is a whole section of smoothies with big pieces of cantaloupe, watermelon and peach combos. There is even one that tastes like an orange dreamsicle! I was there once and a group of 20 church volunteers came in JUST for smoothies. But get something to eat as well, you may have to move 15 loaves of home baked bread to find a place to sit but as those Nike folks say, just DO it! The food is excellent. I think their brown gravy on the open faced roast beef sandwich plate should be a beverage! The burgers are also excellent, I like the island one with the slice of pineapple on it. There is a plate with chopped hot dog weiners and chili that also rocks!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

All fresh fruit. Served on the spot. Many flavors. Friendly service. Lots to look at. Worth seeking it out when you're in town.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, we were really curious about The Tomato Place. Then went on YouTube and found a great little video there about it. It is a fruit and vegetable stand in the front with freezers of smoothies and fruits and vegetables for purchase in addition to the fresh. The second room is a very crowded little place with lots of stuff and where you can order food and drinks. There are also jars of salsa, preserves, etc. for purchase, along with bread (which came highly recommended from a local). Beyond that is another small dining area. We bought a fresh-made lemonade the first time and when we came back through had the BLT with green tomatoes. Both were quite good. Enjoyed just sitting and looking at everything on the wall and shelves. This place is about two minutes south of the interstate, so is worth a quick little detour, especially if you like fresh lemonade and quirky little places!

2  Thank JanJansJourneys

Been to The Tomato Place? Share your experiences!