“It was fine, but I was disapointed....”
Review of The Tomato Place

The Tomato Place
Ranked #6 of 132 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Oswego, New York
“It was fine, but I was disapointed....”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Traveling to the area for work, I was really excited to find a little place that tried to stick to locally grown stuff in the South in an area where recycling means scrap metal hawking and nature reserve is a place you can hunt. The fist time through we got a couple tomatoes and a smaller thing of romaine lettuce, which looked partially bad already. It came to $6. After peeling away icky leaves, the lettuce was yummy as were tomatoes. Nothing we'd write home about as of yet, but the reviews spoke mainly of the awesome yet slow food in the cafe. So we ordered some takeout, chili and cheese yams and a blt salad. It came to $10, fain enough. The thing is, for a place that fronts as a ,we're local so it's worth the price" kind of place, the cheese was clearly squirty nacho tasteless non-cheese, and the chili wasn't better. The salad was, okay. I really wanted to like them. It's my kind of scene, but I was disappointed. Not gonna lie to the internet. Know what was yummy and cheap and local nearby? The Tamale Place. Just saying.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank AmyRoxSox

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Sort of Weird, But Great Food !”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

A little out of the way but well worth it. It doesn't look like much but there is a lot of stuff to look at and the food was just great.

Visited October 2011
Dallas Tx
“The BLT will make you Slap Yo' Mama!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Those from the south will understand the statement above and those not from the south... They are GOOOOOD!

We tried this on advise from Trip Advisor and found that it is MUCH BETTER than the number four rating it is at the present. This little fruit and vegetable stand has all kinds of fresh items. They also have a breakfast/lunch menu. We were going to share a vegetable plate (4 veggies) and half a BLT. One bit of the sandwich and my husband informed me we would have to order another one. The tomatoes were fresh and peeled. The bacon had more meat than fat on it and the mayo was just right to compliment both! The fried okra was fresh, the green beans were cooked down and the squash had onions and tomatoes for seasoning. Everything was good and we even brought back some tomatoes for BLT's at our house. I think I will go make me one right now.

YOU should stop at this gem if you are near Vicksburg. Beats fast food any day of the week.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank ang126
Jackson, Mississippi
“A good choice anytime when in Vicksburg"”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Tomato Place is a fruit/vegetable stand that testifies goodness from the products sold there made into great food.
Small roadside stand houses a rustic hut look with tables outside and in. Painted in bright colors and loaded with home made jams, jellies, breads, desserts. I guarantee you won't be disappointed in the food.

An eclectic mix of food items served in a garden shed environment will make you glad you stopped. No air condition but fans to cool.
I wanted everything on the menu but finally chose The Tomato Pie, not what you typically think as layers of sliced tomatoes in a pie shell. No, this delight has the flavors of a loaded pizza but better. I even thought I could get the waitress to tell me the secret sauce that made it sooo goood. NOT - she replied, " I want to continue to keep the hair on my head."

The owner , Tommy Hughes, has a talent for food and a gold mine. I will keep going until I can try everything (that isn't seafood) on the menu. Famous for the fresh squeezed lemonade, pimento, blt - oh my I need to go there now.

Visit the website thetomatoplace.com to see for yourself a piece of southern treasure.
Poor Yankees, eat your heart out or come down south and try this wonderful treat in Vicksburg, Mississippi - we'll soon have you doing a "rebel yell."

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank collins6
“The feel of home in the south”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I'm from Mississippi and I live in Tennessee now but every time that I go home to visit family I have to go to The Tomato Place at least twice. The smoothies have become such a hit with my nieces and we try different ones and we keep finding new favorites. Purple haze and strawberry fields are my favorites right now. The orangeade is awesome! I hate lemonade but I love the orangeade. The hot dogs/corn dogs are also great and they sell their Mississippi Fever which is great on crackers with cream cheese. The owners are so nice and everybody makes you feel at home. I absolutely love this place!!! You can check it out on youtube.com

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank dandajane

Been to The Tomato Place? Share your experiences!