“The BLT will make you Slap Yo' Mama!”
Review of The Tomato Place

The Tomato Place
Ranked #5 of 132 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Those from the south will understand the statement above and those not from the south... They are GOOOOOD!

We tried this on advise from Trip Advisor and found that it is MUCH BETTER than the number four rating it is at the present. This little fruit and vegetable stand has all kinds of fresh items. They also have a breakfast/lunch menu. We were going to share a vegetable plate (4 veggies) and half a BLT. One bit of the sandwich and my husband informed me we would have to order another one. The tomatoes were fresh and peeled. The bacon had more meat than fat on it and the mayo was just right to compliment both! The fried okra was fresh, the green beans were cooked down and the squash had onions and tomatoes for seasoning. Everything was good and we even brought back some tomatoes for BLT's at our house. I think I will go make me one right now.

YOU should stop at this gem if you are near Vicksburg. Beats fast food any day of the week.

3  Thank ang126
There are newer reviews for The Tomato Place

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Tomato Place is a fruit/vegetable stand that testifies goodness from the products sold there made into great food.
Small roadside stand houses a rustic hut look with tables outside and in. Painted in bright colors and loaded with home made jams, jellies, breads, desserts. I guarantee you won't be disappointed in the food.

An eclectic mix of food items served in a garden shed environment will make you glad you stopped. No air condition but fans to cool.
I wanted everything on the menu but finally chose The Tomato Pie, not what you typically think as layers of sliced tomatoes in a pie shell. No, this delight has the flavors of a loaded pizza but better. I even thought I could get the waitress to tell me the secret sauce that made it sooo goood. NOT - she replied, " I want to continue to keep the hair on my head."

The owner , Tommy Hughes, has a talent for food and a gold mine. I will keep going until I can try everything (that isn't seafood) on the menu. Famous for the fresh squeezed lemonade, pimento, blt - oh my I need to go there now.

Visit the website thetomatoplace.com to see for yourself a piece of southern treasure.
Poor Yankees, eat your heart out or come down south and try this wonderful treat in Vicksburg, Mississippi - we'll soon have you doing a "rebel yell."

1  Thank collins6
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I'm from Mississippi and I live in Tennessee now but every time that I go home to visit family I have to go to The Tomato Place at least twice. The smoothies have become such a hit with my nieces and we try different ones and we keep finding new favorites. Purple haze and strawberry fields are my favorites right now. The orangeade is awesome! I hate lemonade but I love the orangeade. The hot dogs/corn dogs are also great and they sell their Mississippi Fever which is great on crackers with cream cheese. The owners are so nice and everybody makes you feel at home. I absolutely love this place!!! You can check it out on youtube.com

1  Thank dandajane
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stopped by a couple of years and really enjoyed this. Reminded me so much of yesteryears and yummy tomato/bacon/blue plate sandwiches. Nice, sketchie and imaginative.

Stopped by yesterday. People still super nice. Sandwiches were ok. Lemonade - way too sweet. And, the outside area had deteriorated a bit over the last couple of years. We sat outside again but apparently they are running sewage out down the gully behind the place and the smell was awful. Conclusion: great idea but executed poorly.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

This place defines a rustic dive. It looks from the outside like a fruit/vegetable stand, but if you can find a parking place around lunchtime you will be treated to an excellent meal. While the prices for the specials might seem high for the locale, you will get a ton of food. The roast beef or smoked chicken specials are fantastic, vegetables are great, and the BLT club is the best. Don’t forget to throw in a real fruit smoothie or homemade lemonade. If you dine in you can expect quaint surroundings, but don’t expect air conditioning.