“Old ironclad”

U.S.S. Cairo Museum
Ranked #2 of 40 things to do in Vicksburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the first boat to be sunk by a torpedo.
Stephenville, Texas
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Old ironclad”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Easily accessed and interesting. The National Cemetery is adjacent and there is ample parking. A nice addition to the overall Vicksburg experience.

Visited December 2013

Portland, Oregon
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Civil War Battleship”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

A beautifully staged outdoor exhibit of one of the Union ironclad ships, along with an extensive indoor display of artifacts and history.

Visited November 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 372 helpful votes
“Incredible piece of History & Preservation Work”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We took so long over our drive through the park and visiting the various sites, sightings etc, that we came across the USS Cairo very late in the day.

The Park Rangers literally allowed us 5- 10 minutes, and then as we drive out, Locked the Chains of the Gate.

DO NOT Make the same mistake.

It is staggering to learn what happened, what it took to run this ship, how this it worked, what it could do, how it met its end and how it was recovered & restored. To say nothing of the collaboration required between the Army & Navy.

This Site /experience will enthrall all ages & both sexes.

Heartily commended

Visited April 2013
Boulder, Colorado
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Amazing creativity”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Others have commented on the boat, and I agree with the positive reviews, but what struck me as a woodworker was the amazing ingenuity and skill evident in the laminated wooden framework supporting the boat. I tried to imagine myself designing something so intricate and it made my head swim.
At this time of year, there were only 3 or 4 other tourists besides myself present.
The museum of the personal items used by the Cairo crew was interesting. If you like this sort of thing consider the museum of the Steamboat Arabia in Kansas City. It contains a warehouse full of similar items. As most museums do these days, lighting for my old eyes was dim. I use a flashlight app on my phone when I need to illuminate an artifact.
While in downtown Vicksburg I used my phone to find the coordinates of the park and plugged them into my GPS. The route I used inadvertently took me around any fee-collecting site, not that I'm advocating skipping out on paying.

Visited December 2013
Minnesota
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 293 helpful votes
“Fascinating side trip within Vicksburg Battlefield”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Most don't think about the Navy participating in the battle of Vicksburg but they did have a significant part. Prior to the Union Army's attack on Vicksburg, Union Navy ironclads launched an attack on Confederate forces and the unfortunate civilian inhabitants of Vicksburg in an effort to open up passage along the Mississippi River. The USS Cairo was one of the participants in the attack. Pulled from the bottom of an old Mississippi river channel, this ironclad Yankee river based gun boat has been remarkably restored and placed under a protective tent for generations to come visit. Adjacent the actual boat remains, is an indoor museum/gift shop which has relics from the battle and some history behind the ironclad riverboats of the civil war. I would recommend this as an important stop within the Vicksburg Battlefield site.

Visited November 2013