“It took my breath away”

Ranked #7 of 40 things to do in Vicksburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Rent an audio tape and it will guide you through the parks interesting sites.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were on a tour bus, so we did not have the time to stop and walk up to the Monument. We slowly drove by it. There was complete silence on the bus as we (mostly northerners) gazed respectfully at the Memorial. It took my breath away. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I have been to the Gettysburg Battlefield, and I remember how deeply touched I was. I experienced the same feelings here. These were our fellow countrymen who fought and died for the South. May they rest in peace.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

You have to check out the monuments all along the siege lines. History is still preserved for all to enjoy

Reviewed September 14, 2013

It's actually called the Illinois monument interestingly enough but it is an amazing structure with the names of every solider from every Illinois regiment in the Vicksburg campaign of the civil war plus your voice echoes awesome!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

An excellent educational experience. Well designed and maintained grounds. One of the best Civil War battle site I have visited. We could have spent an entire day.If you're a serious history buff, one really needs to in order to take in all the park offers.

2  Thank Karl V
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been there several times through the years, with parents as a teenage, as a young-married, with teenagers, and now with a grandchild. You would think I had seen it all, but I learned something new even this last visit. I had said I would never return (I am so saddened by this time in our history, plus I have been there!), but was overruled by others. I'm glad I went. It is very well done. The boat retrieved from the river is a new exhibit I had not seen, nicely displayed. Every family should go here at least once to see what our history entails.