“Choose a different dive shop”

Waikiki Diving Center
Two Tank Certified Wreck SCUBA Diving From Waikiki
$190.00*
Deep Sea Half-Day Shared Fishing Charter
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Choose a different dive shop”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Not a good choice. Arrived at the first dive site about 100 yards outside of the harbor. A mediocre reef with calm waters. At the suggestion and urging of Capt Nick, we stayed at the same site for the second dive, only 20-30 minutes after the first.
Waited at the shop for about an hour waiting for the crew to get gear ready for customers. No snacks, drinks, etc. on the boat.
The initial plan was for one instructor to corral 4 "discover scuba," 2 certification students, and 2 certified divers. As one of the certs, I was told to just wait around the bottom while she went through all the instruction with the students. I was asked to ascend and call it quits with air left for another 5-10 minutes.
My wife was along for snorkeling and received little to no attention from the crew except when it was time to pay for her $55 ticket.

3 Thank Chela241

Reno, Nevada
“Awesome Dive”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A friend of mine and I went diving for the first time with Waikiki Diving. It was a wonderful experience. The staff is very patient, kind and helpful. They made the experience very pleasurable. I will definitely go diving again with them. Once we were in the water and comfortable, we got to see lots of turtles, octopus, and fish due to the water being so clear. Our dive instructor took lots of photos for us. This is an experience I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life. I would definitely recommend Waikiki Diving Center.

Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On a recent business trip to Hawaii, I decided to go scuba diving. The email correspondence between myself and "Capt Nick" was quick and easy, and I appreciated the professionalism and information he shared.

Even though Capt Nick offered to pick me up from my hotel at 7:15am, he also mentioned that the dive shop is one block away from my hotel. I decided to investigate the day before to be sure where to find it. The dive shop is easy to find, but is nothing spectacular. It provides the basics (well enough), and a few odd t-shirts. i was comfortable and ready to go diving the next day.

The next morning I woke up and it was raining. But hey, who cares right? I arrived at the dive shop and met up with a few other divers. I was signed up to do 4 dives that day, and even though I asked many times beforehand, nobody could tell me which dive sites we were going to.

We arrived at the harbour and got on the boat. The team was well organised and had all gear set up and ready. By this time I realised that I have a torn BCD (pockets), so I couldn't carry anything with me, and was only issued with a short wetsuit. It was cold, and the rain didn't make it any easier. Even being used to diving in colder conditions in Sydney, it was still cold, esp at 100ft.

Our first dive site was YO257 and San Pedro wrecks at 100ft (30m). It was really interesting but so rushed to get over, under and through everything within the given bottom time. I felt I missed more than half just to keep up with the pace of the dive. Nothing interesting, expect for a submarine filled with tourists.

The next dive was on a reef (still don't know what the dive site was), and whilst we only had a 25min surface interval, we were greeted with whales and dolphins on the surface. Very memorable.

On the second dive we saw turtles, octopus, eels and a few other cool things. Oh did I mention it was still raining and getting really really cold?

after the 2nd dive we headed back to the harbour to get the second batch of divers for the day. As I was doing 4 dives, I remained on the boat. I was surprised to see that the next batch of 9 divers were all uncertified "discover-scuba" divers. As a certified DM I knew that I would not enjoy this environment, but was happy to give a hand and help where I could.

I was assigned to a lovely instructor who was our dive leader. She then mentioned that while we will be down, she has to certify a diver to Open Water. So this instructor had a group of non-certified divers, and a OW student in the same group. I was thinking "Whose going to be looking after your discover divers while you play instructor with your student?"

Dives 2,3 and 4 were all at the same location. Very disappointing, and even though I had enough by the 3rd dive (of that site), I went down as it was extremely cold on the boat.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this dive centre. Maybe next time I will ensure that a) I have a full wetsuit and b) the dive centre confirms 4 different locations. I will also not go if there are more than 2 or 3 discover divers.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank ASteyn
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Overall, good experiences”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My son and I dived twice with Waikiki Diving. Both of us are certified, but we hadn't dived in awhile so we joined the afternoon group for the first dives. Everything was fine, except they included an uncertified diver with us. He got nervous and had to get go to the boat, but it took at least 10-15 minutes for the whole event. Meanwhile, we are waiting about 15 feet from the surface. But the water was clear, lots of turtles and a cool octopus. Second time we visited the Corsair Wreck. It is almost 100 feet but the water was clear enough that it was visible from the surface. A really good dive. In both cases, especially after the deep dive, the instructor and skipper were concerned for our safety, ensuring adequate surface interval before the second dive. We felt quite safe.
I will probably dive with this company on my next trip to Oahu.
I think the company could supply water at small cost to them.

Visited December 2012
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“it varies”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you are and experienced dive only do the morning dive trip.

I did two trip one in the afternoon (leave 10:15 am) lots of waiting as this include introductory divers, my wife came as a snorkeler they are not the best equipped for this.

A couple of days later i did the morning dive and have a great dive experience.

Bob and Marco are fun to dive with.

Visited December 2012