“Fun and Safe Certification!!”

Rainbow Scuba Hawaii
More attraction details
Owner description: Honolulu's scuba diving price leader featuring quality boat diving charters for beginner first time scuba divers or advanced divers! PADI Scuba certification instruction. Experience Hawaii shipwrecks and turtle reefs 7 days a week aboard our catamaran. 100% safety record, Waikiki beach hotel pick up, and Free underwater photos!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 13, 2013

After doing a Discover Scuba course in Thailand, I was hooked on scuba diving. I decided to finish my certification on my trip to Hawaii July 25-July 26. I found Rainbow Scuba via TripAdvisor, and I am so glad I did!

Though it took a while to get a hold of Ken, once I met him I realized why... he is a very busy man, dedicated to ensuring his customers have a safe and wonderful experience! I signed up alone, and ended up in a class with only one other girl. The small class size was a plus.

The boat was medium sized, and was used by both Rainbow Scuba and another company, which helps both companies save money and is normal. The water wasn't rough, I sometimes get sea-sick and was fine. Though, if you do get very sea-sick sitting on the boat when it is not moving is the worst so take a bonine night before and one in the morning. One girl did get very sea-sick. They do provide some snacks and water. Bring your own towel.

For the certification we did a discover scuba first, which for many people is to ensure that you want to continue with the course and allows you to get comfortable in the water with the equipment. Then we did another dive before heading to a shallower area where Ken taught us the skills required for the certification. This was probably the most unpleasant part, but Ken was patient. He then sent us home with a booklet to read with a couple quizzes to fill out.

The next day is three dives. Two short 20 min dives with skill sets in between. And a longer, deeper 40 min dive.

Following this, we headed to a restaurant where Ken ordered some beers in preparation for our exam and to celebrate our almost certification!

Note: doing the quizzes really does help make the exam portion go a lot faster. However, you don't need to go crazy. If you're in Hawaii, Ken realizes you are probably on vacation... which means you probably don't want to sit inside reading a textbook. Ken really helps you get through the exam, and will first go over any questions or concerns you may have. For us, he even went through ever single answer on the quizzes in the booklet before we took the final exam. For me, he even modified the exam because I had a previously scheduled engagement and the review took longer than anticipated. I truly appreciated his flexibility, though it should be noted he did so only because he believed we had a good grasp of the material following our thorough review.

Overall, my experience with Ken and Rainbow Scuba was an awesome one. I felt safe at all times and Ken made it as fun as he possibly could despite needing to go through the often less pleasant certification requirements. He's upbeat and passionate about diving. He may talk fast at times, but always keeps things simple. I will definitely use this company for future dives and I would without hesitation recommend him if you are looking to be certified! Not to mention, after lots of research he is also one of the less expensive options.

Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, another great part about Rainbow Scuba is they take AMAZING pictures for you while diving. For me, this was important because it would be difficult taking pictures while learning how to comfortably operate equipment and keep tabs on my breathing techniques. He put them up on facebook later on, and I was able to share them with family and friends. Ken even made sure to find us a ton of sea turtles, some white tip sharks, and even an octopus to play with, which made for some pretty cool photos and videos.

1  Thank Kimberly S

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a wonderful experience with Rainbow Scuba. They bring a camera and take pictures of you while you dive. I have INCREDIBLE pictures with turtles!!!! It is nice to have your own camera but you never get a shot of yourself. They send you a link to the pictures and you have access to them for FREE!!!!!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went diving with my wife and had an awesome time with Rainbow Scuba! Jeff is an awesome guide, and he will find everything there is to show.

2  Thank Juan C
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just went out to get my open water certification from Rainbow Scuba. I did some online shopping before hand I think this one of the best deals. The $400 (yes, cash) covers all learning and equipment and tax. Many of the other companies also charge for fin/mask rental or for educational materials. I had a good experience with Ken and the 2 other people (so only 3 people) in my open water certification class. I felt safe diving with him. I certainly felt like I received $400 worth of diving education! It is only a 2 day course, but they are very long and tiring days. Keep that in mind if you are on vacation and only have a limited time in Hawaii. But overall I would recommend Rainbow because I think they are a good value and I liked the fact that we didn't have to read every line in the textbook. (But I do feel like the important things were covered). That being said, I would definitely want to do some more guided dives before even thinking about just going out with a buddy

1  Thank jhayroe
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The fins are the only thing I didn't like. But I am pretty finicky. These folks are awesome. Tom was a super nice guy, and knew the best places to go. I felt confident in his skills to get us back safely.

1  Thank Jacqueline S