“One of the best Open Water Cert deals”

Rainbow Scuba Hawaii
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Beginner Scuba Dive with Turtles
More attraction details
Owner description: Honolulu's scuba diving price leader featuring quality boat diving charters for beginner first time scuba divers or advanced divers! PADI Scuba certification instruction. Experience Hawaii shipwrecks and turtle reefs 7 days a week aboard our catamaran. 100% safety record, Waikiki beach hotel pick up, and Free underwater photos!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just went out to get my open water certification from Rainbow Scuba. I did some online shopping before hand I think this one of the best deals. The $400 (yes, cash) covers all learning and equipment and tax. Many of the other companies also charge for fin/mask rental or for educational materials. I had a good experience with Ken and the 2 other people (so only 3 people) in my open water certification class. I felt safe diving with him. I certainly felt like I received $400 worth of diving education! It is only a 2 day course, but they are very long and tiring days. Keep that in mind if you are on vacation and only have a limited time in Hawaii. But overall I would recommend Rainbow because I think they are a good value and I liked the fact that we didn't have to read every line in the textbook. (But I do feel like the important things were covered). That being said, I would definitely want to do some more guided dives before even thinking about just going out with a buddy

1  Thank jhayroe
in 17 reviews
"dive shop"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The fins are the only thing I didn't like. But I am pretty finicky. These folks are awesome. Tom was a super nice guy, and knew the best places to go. I felt confident in his skills to get us back safely.

1  Thank Jacqueline S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Jeff Chun and Ken Goetz are amazing instructors. Very safety conscious, took excellent care of myself and my wife during training dives. Excellent dive locations with tons of sea life to see. Worth more than what we paid. Definitely will come back in the future.

2  Thank Randy S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I were headed to Honolulu on a business/pleasure trip. I checked TripAdvisor for the top rated dive charters. Of those, I picked Rainbow Scuba based on the ratings and comments and my telephone conversation with one of the staff prior to the trip. They would not let us reserve a spot until we were actually in Hawaii at our hotel. This was a little confusing as many dive operators are only too happy to take your reservation and money as early as possible. When we arrived in Honolulu I called and made our reservation for the day we wanted to dive. We were picked up on time at our hotel. They provided gear based on the height and weight we provided and the gear fit perfectly. All the equipment they provided was in great working order and condition. We boarded the Kahala Kai, a catamaran, for the short ride to the dive site, the YO-257 and San Pedro shipwrecks. The visibility was very good and the wetsuits provided made the temperature comfortable at that depth. We had a great dive and were able to see some turtles and a spotted ray. The wrecks were interesting as these were the first wrecks I had visited that were so much intact. Jeff, our dive master, took lots of great pictures for us. The second dive was at a site called the Kewalo Pipe Reef. Again, the dive was excellent. Jeff took care to point out a lot of things we would have missed had we gone on our own. He found an octopus and we took some pictures with it. We also found a turtle resting beside the pipe and a spotted eel. The dive boat had water and snacks aboard. Jeff explained both dives and great detail prior to the dives. Another thing that was a little bit different was I paid for the dive after the dive. The pictures Jeff took were posted a few days later on their facebook and flickr sites. I had a little trouble accessing them but an email requesting help was answered very quickly and I was able to download the pictures. I rate the whole experience as excellent and would use them again.

1  Thank EscapingtheBurg