Message from TripAdvisor:

“Would be return visitor”

Aqua Skyline at Island Colony
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Ulladulla, Australia
“Would be return visitor”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a period of 10 days. On arrival it was neat and tidy. It is currently being renovated painted etc. The reception staff were very helpful. Our plan arrived in the early morning. Our room was not yet ready however they kept us informed and sent a request to housekeeping to have the room ready asap. Once allowed into our room we were pleasantly surprised. We had a fantastic view and the room was clean roomy enough for us and all our shopping. The beds were very comfortable, however my bed did not seem to get made properly for our whole ten day stay. They pulled up the linens but did not remake or tidy very well. The pool area was spacious and the spa and sauna were very clean. The apartments are central to everything and only a five minute walk to the beach. The air conditioner was quite noisy and the traffic was surprisingly loud considering we were on the 36th floor. There is a cocktail evening on the roof terrace. It is a must to go to that just to admire the view from all sides of the building. The only major negative I have of our entire stay is the state of the bathroom in the foyer area. It was disgraceful. The whole bathroom was filthy. As this was the first room I encountered on our stay I was very suspicious of what our room would be like. Luckily that was only one area I never went to again. They really need to get some bleach and scrubbing brushes into that room.

Room Tip: The higher your room the better the view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank The_Green_5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was a last minute booking and i would recommend Island Colony to anyone. Very reasonably priced a short walk to the main strip and best of all fantastic customer service. We stayed 10 days in a kitchenette studio which suited us, two twin double beds clean bathroom and kitchenette cooktop for simple cooking. The kids also loved the pool and other facilities.
Well done Island Colony!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank marisa c
atlanta
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The rooms were clean. It seemed just a little dusty to me. We were pleased with service. We needed a service call for the tub and it was fixed soon. We were very happy with checkin. It was quick and our room was on the 34th floor, so the view was awesome. We could see the ocean and diamond head. Our room looked just like the pictures. We didnt have any problem with elevators. We had complimentary wifi. The bathroom is small but clean. The refrigerator and microwave were good for us, but I would never have tried to cook in there. It was way too small for all that. It was very easy to get to the beach from there. I guess the only thing I did like was the smell from the room next door. There are people that live there, so it smelled like their food all the time,rather than a fresh hotel hall way. However,we did not spend much time in the room. We also had no problem with our key either, as others have complained about.

• Stayed April 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The positives of this hotel was the service was excellent, friendly, kind and helpful. We booked a staycation at the Aqua Skyline because our friend told us the hotel was nice and newly renovated, which she was right about. We checked in on a Friday night and service was great and prompt. When we got to out room, the room was absolutely wonderful. We had a kitchen, good amount of living room and bathroom space and the bedroom was beautiful with stunning view of the city, along side the firework that was showing at the HIlton Hawaiian Village. Over all I would stay here again and even recommend family and friends to stay here. The service was great along with everything else. We were a very happy campers!!!!! :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Worst stay I have had in years. Followed the good reviews and booked...boy was I mislead.

Driving up it looked impressive. Do not be fooled. This is not a hotel and only books 100 out of the 1500 rolms for hotel guests.

Pool is closed until after March. Ice machines are out of order. Renovations on all floors means primer paint, patch jobs on the walls, and paint scraping everywhere. Elevators have missing buttons for some floors. Door key worked once out of 10 tries. Shower head for people under six feet. Spring mattress without the box springs. Blue stains on the carpet. And...no WIFI.

Other than that...it wss great.

Felt likeva giant dorm. Dumpy and full of young kids paying rent.

I will never stay at an Aqua property again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mary T
Brian K, Manager at Aqua Skyline at Island Colony, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our property. It's unfortunate that you endured these issues while here. We strive to provide an wonderful experience for all guests and unfortunately yours was sub-par. I would like to know more in detail about your stay, please contact me at bkovaloff@aquaresorts,com.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The positives of this hotel is that it is a good location on the canal and only three blocks from Waikiki Beach. It is in the centre of the shopping district. My room was clean and newly painted. The shower was lovely with lots of pressure (32nd floor). The 'kitchen area' was tiny, and I mean tiny, but equipped with two pans, utensils, dishes etc. My lanai overlooked other rooftops, and on one side I had a good view of the canal and the other a reasonable view of the beach and ocean through the other hi-rises. The front desk staff were courteous and speedy. There was no enthusiasm for their job.

The negatives as I found them are the bed was a mattress on a board (no box spring), but it was not uncomfortable. My room was not at all like their ads claim. Cooking facilities were a sink and two-burner hotplate side by side - it was optimistically 30" wide. No other counter-top or food preparation area. The electric coffee maker stands on the hot plate cooking surface! The bathroom had a stainless steel kitchen sink, not a bathroom wash basin, and was larger than the sink next to the cooking surface. Their housekeeping left a lot to be desired and I had to repeatedly ask for supplies (shampoo etc), I had a footprint on my bed-sheet and the room was not cleaned daily, but the linen and towels were. It is old and tired, and the brown plastic shelving with dusty ornaments for sale didn't help. The area for hanging garments was about 15" wide and incorporated the iron and ironing board. It has a very noisy location because of the proximity to the main road next to the canal.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Rocheshunt
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your Skyline experience with our online viewers. We truly apologize that your expectations were not met while staying with us. Please contact me at bkovaloff@aquaresorts.com as I would like to know more in detail about your experience and hope that one day in the very near future we could serve you again.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

From the pictures online, I thought this place would be amazing. I was surprised the it was only 2 stars, but that should have alerted me to what this place really was. I agree with another reviewer that the renovations looked like a brother in law did it. The renos felt like they were slapped together, and you could still get a sense of this being an older hotel. With a little more effort it could have been beautiful. The hallways are dingy and smelly. It just feels like there is no pride taken in the up keep of this place. The Aqua brand itself to me is not a trusted company. I stayed at another Aqua hotel for one night in Waikiki, and while the lobby was nicely updated and beautiful, the room was not. This is one time where the reviews on trip advisor let me down. I will never stay at an Aqua brand hotel, nor recommend one. The only plus side to this place was the impeccable customer service we received from the front desk staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Maria R
Brian K, Manager at Aqua Skyline at Island Colony, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. We truly apologize that your expectations were not met and take pride in our property and product. Our owners have spent a lot of time and money upgrading the facility and although it did not meet your satisfaction, we would love a chance to serve you again in the very near future. Please contact me directly at bkovaloff@aquaresorts.com so that I may better hear about the experience you had at the property. As always, our team gives excellent service which we preach everyday to all our guests and we thank you for giving them that praise.