“I mostly blame myself, but....”

Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
New York City, New York
“I mostly blame myself, but....”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

there is something seriously wrong either with Honolulu or with the reliability of reviews here, if the Lotus is rated #4 of 83 hotels in Honolulu. Seriously people?

I have written very favorable reviews of other places (see prior). And in fairness, the Lotus is an OK place. But the disconnect between the rave reviews of others and what you actually get is stunning. Given its rank, and its reviews, I can only blame myself for not looking more closely and reading the Lotus web site with the same skepticism that one would use when reading real estate listings in New York City.

Let me start with the good: The Staff is truly wonderful, kind, helpful and deserve to work at a better hotel. This review is in no way a criticism of them. They could not have done anything more to improve our stay, which is why we did not complain to them. The issues with the hotel are beyond their correction. Also good: Free bicycles to borrow; attractive quiet lobby.

The disappointing:
1. "steps from" the beach is NOT on the beach; there is a row of buildings between the Lotus and the ocean, blocking what otherwise would be a great view
2. No pool! I blame myself for not picking this up; but it never occurred to me that a top ranked hotel in a vacation destination would not have one. So if you are looking for a comfy place to lounge in paradise, keep looking...
3. No room service
4. No hotel bar
5. No vibe
6. Views of parking lots from the rooms
7. No headboards on the beds
8. Beds are double sized, not queen sized

You can borrow small beach chairs and towels from the front desk to pad over to the beach. This is actually pleasant enough. It helped us get over our disappointment in our mistake.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank NYSmith
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Aloha NYSmith,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. First, let me start by saying that your kind words regarding the staff are truly appreciated and I will be sure to pass them along. We appreciate your business and take all forms of constructive criticism seriously. If you find your way back to Honolulu in the future, please contact me if you need any assistance.

jgray@lotushawaii.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

5 stars for decor
The rooms are updated and beautiful: white linens with brown accents (no nursing home decor like most hotels in Waikiki), hardwood floors, and modern bathrooms. The lobby is modern and chic with colorful pillows and lots of comfy couches.

5 stars for customer service
We were greeted immediately by the gentleman at guest services, PT. He was inviting and knowledgable. We were an hour early for check in, but our room was ready and we were allowed to get in earlier than check in time. PT remembered us and our room # the whole time without us having to constantly remind him of who we were. On the last day he asked about the wedding we attended, which meant he remembered our brief conversation upon our arrival 5 days later.
Travis helped us with bike rentals and was always friendly and accommodating. He gave us complimentary bottles of water and not only explained the bike laws, but gave recommendations for food!

4 stars for experience
Upon our arrival we were checked into a room with 2 double beds. I had reserved a king, but they had none left. If you read the fine print it says 2 doubles or king even if you click the button for the king online. We were informed that bed type could not be guaranteed, but we would be switched to a king the next day when one was available. Then the next morning we were awakened to construction on our patio. This was dreadful after staying out late our first night. We immediately called the front desk and were told there was nothing to be done about the construction, but were met with profuse apologies. My boyfriend called down a bit later since we were unable to keep sleeping and after speaking with the manager we were comped our first night. After that episode our experience was flawless. We were moved to the new room, never again woke up to construction and continued on to have a great experience at aqua lotus.

3 stars for view
You have a view of diamond head and the ocean, but it's obstructed by a parking garage and many other buildings. From the lanai it's hard to block those things out of your view. From the bed it's gorgeous bc you can't see those obstructions as much.

4 stars for convenience
The hotel is off the Waikiki strip, which can be a bonus if you want to be away from the congestion and noise. It's a bit more difficult to get places than if you were just staying downtown. It's about a 20 min walk to Waikiki proper and a 5 min bike ride. The hotel gives you bikes to rent for free which is fantastic. There's no "resort" fee, which you have to pay regardless of whether or not you take advantage at many of the hotels. And guest services will call you a taxi whenever and they were always right on time.

4 stars for hotel bar
The bar staff is very welcoming, accommodating and knowledgable. When my boyfriend asked for a shot f a specific gin they had 3 types from that maker. She let him taste all 3 to see which he liked best. A lot of their specialty cocktails came with vodka, which I don't like. Melissa was happy to make me my own special cocktail with a little extra love. One night they had live music. And they even let you take bottles of wine to your room. The only sad thing is they're only open till 11pm.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gasingangsta
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Aloha gasingangsta,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. From reading your review, I can tell you took the time to really enjoy our property. As we all know, sometimes "issues" happen and how you deal with them really determines how you will be judged. I am proud of my staff for handling your "issues" with such care and my sincere apologizes. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to PT and Travis. We hope you have found a home away from home here at Lotus Honolulu!

Riverside, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had an excellent time at the Lotus. The staff is amazing and made us feel at home. We had an awesome corner room on the 11th floor that looked right at Diamond Head and had good views of the ocean. We could even see the lights of Waikiki if we looked out the door of our room. The restaurant is new-ish and they are still working out the menu. I give the food an average rating.

Room Tip: Corner room on a high floor looking at Diamond Head.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michaellcherry
Aloha michaellcherry,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. Excellent times are being had by all! I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff. I am happy to let you know that we are currently in the process of changing our menu. More local ingredients will be used and I encourage you to try it out on your next visit.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Loved our stay. The staff were nice at all levels. The views were great and it was a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. The price was very affordable compared to other comparable hotels. Great location. Close to everything.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BreaTravels
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Aloha BreaTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. The views, the staff and the location of our hotel are all wonderful attributes about this place. We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing again.

Los Angeles
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the end of September to the Lotus Hotel . We had a corner room and it was very spacious with a patio. Hotel was right off the water and we had a Great view of Diamond-Head. The hotel is near shops and restaurants. Hotels provide free bicycle and beach chairs.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RoomRaters
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Aloha RoomRaters,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. We are delighted that you chose Lotus to be your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Chicago
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my first trip to Hawaii and I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor prior to going.

This hotel was FABULOUS, exactly what I wanted... but it's important to know what you want: I was looking for a smaller, quieter, boutique-style hotel where I could get a great room with fantastic views and high quality service at a reasonable price. I wanted to be right on the ocean (not across the street from it), away from the crowded bustle of Waikiki (yet within easy walking distance of it). This hotel was all that and more: view of the ocean and Diamond Head, Triple A staff, right across from Kapiolani Regional Park (lots of fitness activities going on there), within in walking distance of zoo, aquarium and plenty of bus stops (bus system is pretty easy to navigate and inexpensive, but no problem getting a cab any time if you prefer - I did both).

The hotel offers complimentary WIFI and wine between 3-5 PM, there is now a restaurant open on the premises (dinner only). There is complimentary coffee/tea service in the morning on the 2nd floor where you can also purchase. simple continental style breakfast items. My room (8th floor corner) had 2 balconies, complimentary water, refrigerator and a Starbucks Verissimo coffee maker that produced first rate lattes! Room service was twice/day. The decor was lovely,the room/bathroom was large,and the beds were extremely comfortable.

There is an ATM in the hotel's spacious, serene and tastefully decorated lobby, a nearby convenience store and the award-winning Michel's Restaurant (French Haute Cuisine with an amazing view... you will not regret ordering Cherries Jubilee).

I would re-book or recommend this hotel in a heartbeat, unless you ABSOLUTELY want a large, noisy, cookie-cutter, crowded hotel within the high end shopping district where you have to cross a heavily trafficked street in order to be at an over-populated beach.

Room Tip: If within your budget, get best possible room, higher up, away from elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jschur11
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Aloha Jschur11,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. I do not think I could have written a better review myself. The importance of knowing what you want is key, when choosing a boutique hotel. There are so many "little" things that we offer that sets us apart from other hotels. I believe you found a lot of them! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Walkerton, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very comfortable and everyone was super friendly and accommodating. I love the Breakfast Room, particularly the granola, the Dining Room, and the wine list. The view was marvelous and I could watch the sun rise over Diamond Head. I appreciated the tone of the hotel which was not as commercial as many hotels.

Room Tip: Explain exactly what kind of room you would like.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Aloha Anne-Louise G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lotus Honolulu. The next time you come, you will have to watch the moon rise over Diamond Head. It is a spectacular site! Hope to see you soon and keep warm during the winter.