there is something seriously wrong either with Honolulu or with the reliability of reviews here, if the Lotus is rated #4 of 83 hotels in Honolulu. Seriously people?
I have written very favorable reviews of other places (see prior). And in fairness, the Lotus is an OK place. But the disconnect between the rave reviews of others and what you actually get is stunning. Given its rank, and its reviews, I can only blame myself for not looking more closely and reading the Lotus web site with the same skepticism that one would use when reading real estate listings in New York City.
Let me start with the good: The Staff is truly wonderful, kind, helpful and deserve to work at a better hotel. This review is in no way a criticism of them. They could not have done anything more to improve our stay, which is why we did not complain to them. The issues with the hotel are beyond their correction. Also good: Free bicycles to borrow; attractive quiet lobby.
1. "steps from" the beach is NOT on the beach; there is a row of buildings between the Lotus and the ocean, blocking what otherwise would be a great view
2. No pool! I blame myself for not picking this up; but it never occurred to me that a top ranked hotel in a vacation destination would not have one. So if you are looking for a comfy place to lounge in paradise, keep looking...
3. No room service
4. No hotel bar
5. No vibe
6. Views of parking lots from the rooms
7. No headboards on the beds
8. Beds are double sized, not queen sized
You can borrow small beach chairs and towels from the front desk to pad over to the beach. This is actually pleasant enough. It helped us get over our disappointment in our mistake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sophisticated enclave located on the famed Gold Coast of Waikiki, the Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head is a fusion of Asian inspired decor and warm Hawaiian hospitality. Rent beach cruiser bikes and explore Waikiki. Enjoy daily happy hour specials and delicious island cuisine at Wisp Restaurant & Lounge located on-site. Nestled between Kapiolani Park and a spectacular white sand beach shared with Outrigger Canoe Club, this hotel offers a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki with remarkable views of majestic Diamond Head and the Pacific ocean. With our boutique fee of $25 per-room, per-day, guests will enjoy amenities including: Free valet parking (normally $20 per day), Coffee & tea service, served daily in the lobby from 6am to 10am, Wi-Fi internet throughout the hotel, Hawaiian bottled water available daily (in your room and car), Illy coffee system and coffee pods in guest rooms, In-room safe, Daily local newspaper, Local and toll-free calls, Wine served daily in the lobby from 4pm to 5:30pm, Beach chairs, towels, mats and other beach accessories (based on availability). See a guest service agent for assistance., Use of bicycles available for a ride around the park., Take a picnic excursion or more! (Tandem bicycle also available)., See our bell/valet agent for assistance., Waikiki shuttle available daily: Let your feet rest up while taking in all Waikiki has to offer aboard our exclusive Waikiki Shuttle service between participating Aqua properties to Ala Moana Center. See a guest services agent for assistance, visit mywaikikishuttle or download the RideSystem app on your smart phone for shuttle tracking., DVDNow Kiosk: Feel like staying in? Use your DVDNow card to enjoy complimentary movie or game rentals. Kiosk available on the 2nd floor., CastNow: Stream videos and live digital feeds to your TV from your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Instructions are located in your room., Yoga! Enjoy complimentary morning yoga sessions in the park offered daily at 7:30 am. Meet in the lobby to take advantage of this great opportunity to start your morning off with the many health benefits of yoga. Yoga mats are provided., Admission for two (2) to the Honolulu Museum of Arts (Use LOTUS room card for proof of stay.), Fruit Infused Water Station in the Lobby., Zumba & Tai Chi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Prestigia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Lotus Honolulu Hotel Honolulu
- Lotus At Diamond Head Honolulu
- Lotus At Diamond Head Hotel
- Lotus Honolulu At Diamond Head Hawaii