“The only problem was...”

Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 20, 2013

...that this hotel didn't have a restaurant. It had a little area on the second floor that was more like a cafe, and they served breakfast (complimentary coffee/tea, bagels, pastries, fresh cut fruit, etc.), but considering the Lotus was a bit of a walk away from the Waikiki hotels (and that the New Otani hotel next door required reservations for their restaurant), I would have had a much more convenient stay during June 2013 if they operated their own restaurant.

I also had a bad experience the first time ordering breakfast here: I walked into the second floor and asked the employee there (a man with short black hair) if this was their restaurant, and he gave me an attitude saying, "This is it!" I already felt put off while ordering a bagel with cream cheese and lox, and when I brought it back to my room, the capers that came along with it was sloppily plopped all over the container. My bagel was wet and soggy. However, a few days later during my stay, I reluctantly entered the second floor again and a nice lady with blonde hair greeted me with a more welcoming attitude and prepared my breakfast much more neatly. I wish I could've met her the first time rather than the other employee.

However, some earlier reviewers mentioned that this hotel is planning to add a restaurant to their facilities, so that will certainly be advantageous to future guests.

Other than that, my stay here was great. I liked that it was away from the main part of Waikiki so that I can enjoy some peace and quiet during the daytime. The staff was always friendly to me and always tried to make conversation like asking me where I've been visiting while I've been in Hawaii, my future plans, and giving me sightseeing suggestions. My room was always clean when I returned to it. Although they don't have any on-site spas or restaurants like the other hotels, I think that they networked very well with an outside massage service called Infinity, and a local food delivery service that provided a dine-out menu to guests. I think these are what have kept costs low for hotel guests; low overhead costs for the hotel. On top of that, the refreshing ice water they provide in the lobby and the complimentary wine between 4pm-6pm are great perks.

One more critical word: the lobby has these lovely sofas that look adorable, but do need a bit of cleaning. I saw a couple of stains on them during my stay. Other than that, the floor is always swept and the facilities look clean.

Room Tip: I recommend always getting at least the ocean view room on a higher floor. The view is really worth...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Vivian H
There are newer reviews for Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Lotus! Our room was much larger than we expected and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and courteous. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make us comfortable. I cannot recommend this hotel enough! I wouldn't think of staying at any other hotel in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Our room had a fabulous view of Diamond Head and two balconies!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were very impressed with the Lotus hotel. The rooms were well-appointed, lovely and spacious and had the most beautiful views of Diamond head and the ocean. The staff could not have been more helpful and were quick to advise of all the great services the hotel had to offer including free iced water in the lobby, bikes and towels available to use for free and Wine-o'clock in the lobby. The Lotus is located a short 15-20min walk from Waikiki beach which means it is away from all the busy streets but also means you are not in the centre of the action and may need to walk/bike/taxi to where you want to go each day. A beautiful, small hotel with wonderfully helpful staff.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, ask for a corner room on Diamond Head side - you should then get a full v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlohaLeah
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I travel a lot and the in word for the last few years seems to be Boutique. I'd like someone to define what criteria makes that a fact for a hotel. I stayed here for 4 nights in July 2012, so the restaurant was still not open. So a thermoses of free coffee in the morning or glass of house wine in the evening are the only beverages on offer. There is also no uninterrupted view of the beach or ocean, which can be seen in the distance or a partial view between the condos Which for a beach front category hotel is a bit of a letdown. The rooms are nice and minimal furnished, which is a good thing, coffee, free wifi, so the usual list, but you don’t come to Hawaii to stay in your room all the time. They offer bikes and free yoga on the beach, but I cannot rave about this like others. I stayed at the hotel next door recently and the difference in amazing Pacific ocean view rooms and a good service makes me rank the Lotus as 3 ½ stars, I’ve stayed in over 5 hotels in Wakiki in the last couple of years, so I think this ranking is realistic. All other reviews about great location away from the crowds are true. Excellent location, but this is not the only hotel in this area, so pay your money and take your choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Club_Lounge_Guest
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great hotel. Great staff. Great everything.

Arrived at Aqua Lotus on June 9, 2013 and was immediately impressed with the hotel and staff. They were friendly and helpful from the valet to the front desk clerk. After hearing it was our first time in Hawaii, he gave us tons of recommendations ranging from food to activities to where we could find the best beaches. As an added surprise, he upgraded us to the corner suites, which are VERY much worth it. The mountain and beach view is simply breathtaking. Everyday from 4-6 there is complimentary wine served in the lobby. Some wine, the view from our balcony, and the perfect Hawaii weather made for one of the best experiences I have ever had in a hotel.

I won't bore you with the details of the rest of our trip but I will highly recommend you try this place out! You will not be disappointed at all!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I would give the Aqua Lotus 6 stars if I could. We are residents of Hawaii and have stayed at all the big, expensive hotels in Waikiki and Kahala. Without exception, the Lotus offered us the best hotel experience we have had since Kona Village closed its doors! My top priorities are always a really quiet room, a good bed, a lanai door that allows one not to use the A/C, which was actually pretty decent, compared to other properties. The thoughtful amenities: fresh ice water, crisp apples, daily newspaper, afternoon wine in the lobby may seem like tiny details, but they are appreciated. The room was spotless and cleaned on time every morning. Everyone from the valet boys, front desk, and housekeeping should be given a raise..they are all wonderful and seem to take real pride in their jobs.Every employee we came in contact with is from Hawaii and exuded aloha spirit at its best. I am not a high maintenance hotel guest, but I do require really good basics, and the Lotus delivered! With the best ocean in the world just a minute's stroll away and beautiful, green Kapiolani Park at our front door, the Lotus was perfect for us. Mahalo nui loa.

Room Tip: Request a south-facing upper floor with ocean view. I asked to be "as far away from Kalakaua Av...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed June 5, 2013

If your looking for quality lodging close to the action then lotus aqua is a very good option.
Premium rooms are excellent. Good bathrooms, good beds, wifi included.

Beach small and not crowded. 10 mins walk to Waikiki prime along the park/beach front. Perfect At the end of the day! Small walk home!

Room cost is moderate. But you always expect to pay a premium for this position.

I recommend you consider this as an option for your stay.

Staff very helpfull. Wes and others are always willing to assist.

Room Tip: No need to get the room with two balconies. Get a premium room! High floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo