“Best Hotel I've Been! For those on TLA = Great bang for your bucks!”

Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I don't even know where to begin! My experience at this hotel have been eeeexcellent!!! The staff (valet, front desk, housekeeping...) get to know you on a first name basis. This hotel is very personal and intimate. It's away from the busyness of the main strip of Waikiki, although it's in very short walking distance. They provide free bicycles to use if you're lazy to walk. Kapiolani Park which is across the street is a good place to work out/run. It is steps away to the beach, aquarium, park, and a great view of the famous Diamond Head landmark.

If you're in the military on TLA, this is the hotel where you want to be! I stayed here for about a month, and it's well worth it. I highly recommend for any travelers or even locals to come experience the great joy I've had staying here. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Lester M

Reviewed April 13, 2012

this hotel gem a few hundred yards east of crowded Waikiki is still within an easy stroll of the action and about 150 feet from one of the best white sand beaches in the area. It is well run, friendly, super quiet and near and eclectic collection of restaurants and shops. You don't need a rental car because there are bus, bike and walking routes to practically anything you might want to do.

There are cultural, farmers market, art and other events nearly every weekend in Kapiolani Park, across the street plus a free fireworks show over Waikiki visible from the nearby beach every Friday evening.

We live in Honolulu, but occasionally "vacation" at the Aqua Lotus

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K
Geoff G, Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Aloha,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review for the Aqua Lotus Honolulu. We are striving to make the Lotus guest experience the best possible and we are pleased to know that we have succeeded during your occassional visits. As a Honolulu resident you already know how important it is to have a sense of place and your comments also captured the Lotus "sense of place" that so many of our repeat guests have discovered, that as a guest at the Lotus you become a part of the Gold Coast community atmosphere... something that savvy Honolulu visitors and as you and others have shown, even local residents, seek out for their visits.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

A Hui Hou!

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hotel’s subtle charm and attention to detail was a pleasant surprise. Although most of the reviews were very positive, I was a little concerned because it was referred to as a “boutique hotel” and not on the main drag of Waikiki. With this being our first trip to HNL I feared I would regret not staying on the strip. We had no regrets at the Aqua Lotus.

On arrival, I suggest you request the highest floor possible. Our first night was on 5th floor. The views from 5th floor are somewhat obstructed by trees. I requested a higher floor at front desk, I was given a key to room on 9th floor to see if I liked it better. The view of Diamondhead and the ocean was tremendous, so we moved to the new room on 9th floor with no fuss.
The rooms are bright, with balconies. Traveling with the family, bathrooms are very important. The bathrooms at the Aqua Lotus are large, tiled sink and shower. They use a rainfall shower head which is great after log day on the beach. All rooms have mini-fridge and free internet. I note these characteristics because on the similarly priced properties along the strip with small bathroom and daily internet charges ranged from $12.00-$23.00. At the Aqua Lotus there were no resort fees, no nickel and diming you to death. When we checked out, the bill was actually $4.00 less than what was estimated on my confirmation! When was the last time that happened?

The staff was so genuine and helpful. They made excellent suggestions for excursions and food. Oh, and the complimentary bikes! What a benefit to be able to cycle around at your leisure and enjoy. Bike comes with helmets and locks. We rose during the day, but noticed that during the evening, all the bikes were checked out, must be something to night time bike riding.

The property is across from the park where many locals seem to go and recreate and walk up to main strip. The Aquarium and Zoo are both within 10minute walk.
Bill was there when we first arrived and greeted us like family. He was consistently very helpful and always greeted us with a smile and made us feel like we were returning home. He gave a very good restaurant suggestion (Lulu’s) and we were very pleased. Ceitte also had superb customer service. He helped us with our bike rental, adjusted our bike seats for us and told us where to find the most amazing scones. Front desk staff is also great, as well as the housekeeping staff (I didn’t catch the guy’s name that was so quick to bring us extra towels, but he was awesome, friendly and always smiling.)

We would definitely stay at the Aqua Lotus again on our next visit to Honolulu.

Room Tip: Request highest room possible for best views of Diamondhead.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Geoff G, Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Aqua Lotus Honolulu. We strive to meet or exceed all of our guests expectations. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of the many extra amenities available at the Lotus, including its great location - being far enough away but still just close enough to Waikiki - to have the best of both worlds! The complimentary bikes are very popular as well as the complimentary morning Yoga in the park, daily wine hour (4-6pm), and more!

We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

A Hui Hou! (until we meet again)

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We live on the Big Island and went to Waikiki to relax for a few days. All of the staff we came in contact with was extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. The rooms are large, clean and well decorated. The bed and pillows are so comfortable and the hotel is small so there aren't a lot of people going up and down the hallway making noise in the night. The bathroom is actually large enough for two people to dress comfortably. There was also a roomy balcony to have tea on and watch the sunrise over Diamond Head. As others have said the cruiser bikes and wine reception are a very nice touch. It is not on the main strip of Waikiki but it's close enough for most people to walk. There are also plenty of taxis or busses if you don't want to drive. There is a beautiful park right across the street and another park on the beach about 5 minute walk on the Waikiki side of the aquarium. The beach is only a few steps away. If you want a clean, comfortable, and relaxing place to stay then this is it! I will not stay anywhere else on Oahu in the future, only the Aqua Lotus!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 12th floor which had a great view of Diamond Head and the Ocean. I'm not s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swimmingeko
Geoff G, Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Aloha,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review for the Aqua Lotus Honolulu. We are striving to make the Lotus guest experience the best possible and we are pleased to know that we succeeded during your visit. As a Big Island resident you already know how improtant it is to have a sense of place and your comments also captured the Lotus "sense of place" that so many of our repeat guests have discovered, that as a guest at the Lotus you become a part of the Gold Coast community atmosphere... something that savvy Honolulu visitors seek out for their visits.

We look forwrd to seeing you again soon!

A Hui Hou!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel is an excellent choice for the traveler who wants to be near Waikiki and is comfortable with a 10 min. walk to the main strip. The hotel is near the beach, has excellent ocean, mountain and city views from it's upper floors and is directly across the street from a large city park. The downtown noise of the typical Waikiki hotel is absent. The rooms are more spacious than the typical mid-range Waikiki hotel and the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Aloha,

Thank your review of the Aqua Lotus Honolulu. We are striving to make the Lotus guest experience the best possible and we are pleased to know that we succeeded during your visit. The complimentary "transitions" wine hour from 4pm to 6pm daily is very popular with our guests and we feel it is the perfect way to transition from an afternoon on the beach into the evening. Your comments also captured the "sense of place" that so many of our repeat guests have discovered, that as a guest at the Lotus you become a part of the Gold Coast community atmosphere... yet remains close to the action of Waikiki... something that savvy Honolulu visitors seek out for their visits.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

For a comfortable stay,this hotel met all our needs.
Upon arrival we were greeted with 'Happy Hour' & shown to our better than expected view room of Diamond Head & large glimpse of the ocean.
Great staff, preferred location a short distance from the tourists of Waikiki. Great walking & seconds to the beach.

Room Tip: Choose upper floors for best views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Aqua Lotus Honolulu. We are striving to make the Lotus guest experience the best possible and we are pleased to know that we succeeded during your visit. Your comments also captured the "sense of place" that so many of our repeat guests have discovered, that as a guest at the Lotus you become a part of the Gold Coast community atmosphere... something that savvy Honolulu visitors seek out for their visits.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel and had billed it as the ‘luxurious’ part of our adventure Hawaii trip. In some ways it met expectations and in others not so much. The location of the hotel was great for us, as we wanted to be close to the Waikiki resort but not in it. It is a full ten min walk to the start of the main strip but this is along the nice park area and there are nice parts of the beach closer than this. It is quite away from the opposite end of the action but there was always a taxi available even late into the night. There was also plenty of free street parking (6pm-10am) along the road so we never had any need for the valet and always got a spot right outside the hotel. The rooms were very nice, large and spotlessly clean with pleasant Hawaiian décor: TV cabinet, desk, sliding blind doors etc. The bathroom was very nice too with marble finish and nice amenities (lethally slippery floor though!). Wi-fi was very useful, plenty of storage space and an in-room safe. I asked for a coffee maker and it was delivered immediately with nice coffee replenished every day. Housekeeping was very good, done thoroughly any time of day. You could hire beach gear from the front desk too. Lobby wasn’t overly inviting though, it felt like an annex of the underground valet area. What was the relentless cheesy dance music all about? Always on in the lobby and on even louder in the elevator, didn’t really seem to fit.

Having two balconies was nice, but I’m afraid this is where my review must slip into the negative… I did a lot of research for this hotel and luckily I knew there was no real ocean view to be had. Being both our birthdays we paid extra for a Diamond Head Premium, so we had a very nice view over Diamond Head and you could also glimpse the ocean in between some buildings across a parking lot. We knew what we were getting, but in the build up we had been tempted to splurge for the Premium Ocean room that offered both views. This hotel is set back from the seafront, has a number of buildings in between and none of the rooms seem to face directly toward the sea. Slightly misleading that you could pay extra for a diagonal view across a car park between some buildings. The Diamond Head views are lovely though, better than a sea view in my opinion. As well as this, I have already mentioned we were celebrating both our birthdays while staying at this hotel, and I had twice mentioned it to the hotel in advance. Now I would never cry foul that a free gift wasn’t waiting for us or similar like we have had in hotels before, but we were maybe hoping that we would get the best room within our budget. Instead we were on the floor 7 of at least 12, so our side balcony looked into trees (the lower rooms must have awful views in all honesty). In fact, it being both our birthdays wasn’t mentioned either in email reply or in person while we were there.

Another thing that irked me was that the wireless internet was lost for over 24 hours on my birthday so I could not Skype or email with family. I can handle technical problems OK, but I got the impression the staff either didn’t believe me or just didn’t care each time I brought it up. I had to file a log with the provider etc myself and hope for the best. I found this a lot with the staff to be honest, a kind of too cool for school attitude and that you should just be appreciative that you’re staying at this hotel. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but they seemed a bit up themselves for want of a better expression (except a helpful girl who was usually on mornings). It was as if everything was an effort and when anything was done they wore an expression as if they’d just made you the best cocktail in the world and you’d better tip for it! There was also no free internet access available to guests without a laptop, you had to pay to use their communal computers. Very annoying, especially when the wi-fi goes down. It was little things like that that just didn’t sit well with us. When you pay a little more you expect a little more…

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BorderRambler
Geoff G, Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Aloha,

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you chose to stay with us at the Aqua Lotus Honolulu for your mutual birthdays. We are also pleased that you found the accomodations (cleanliness, location, room, sleep quality) all at the top of the ratings possibilities. This said we obviously did not meet your expectations, or ours, for value and service. We do strive to make all of our guests feel special and we obviously missed the mark during your visit; please accept my apology. I hope that should you be in Honolulu again that you might give us another opportunity to improve your experience.