“Honolulu Stay @ Double Tree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Colorado Springs, United States
“Honolulu Stay @ Double Tree”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Staff made all the difference, but would recommend taking pictures of the car sides before turning over to valets and then comparing everyday you picked up the car and making sure that the sliding door did not bleed air, because it makes the room noisy and warm. The staff kept resetting the AC everyday, so the room was always a little too warm upon return everyday.

1 Thank Jules G
AlanaGuestServices, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Aloha Jules G,

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you connected with our staff. They are truly a joy to work with and I am personally proud to be part of this team. Our housekeeping team was notified about the a/c resetting and we have made sure our team understands to keep the temperature the same each day.

Mahalo (thank you) again for your kind review and we hope to see you again soon!

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel was great aside from the fact that I had a pair of expensive sunglasses stolen from my room. The beds and room were very comfortable and the front staff were very friendly. The view I had though from my window was not the greatest as all I could see were roof tops and car garages.

1 Thank jzs5335
AlanaGuestServices, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Aloha!

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all feedback and truly appreciate yours. We are aware of this situation - I believe our security officer spoke with you while you waited for your taxi as you reported the missing sunglasses upon checkout. We attempted to reach out to you after your departure, but only have a Japan number on file. We would love to resolve this for you! Please contact us at (808) 941-7275 and ask for our Director of Security. He is hoping to hear from you!

Waialua, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The young waiter who served us dinner found my expensive sweater on the back of my chair in the restaurant and delivered it to my room! I was very grateful that he went through the trouble of finding out my room # since we did not charge the dinner to our room. I might have driven all the way home the following day without realizing that I forgot the sweater.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Elaine H
Aloha Elaine H,

"Mahalo" for your kind review! I often receive compliment from guests dining in our restaurant in regards to the personalized and warm service of our guests. We truly care about our guests and this instance was an example of the Aloha our guests can expect when visiting our property.

We do hope you visit us again and thank you again for your review!

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I should preface this by saying I am a Hilton diamond member (I spend over 60 nights/ year at Hilton brands) and have stayed at many similar properties. This is probably one of the few Hilton properties I wouldn't go back to, for two reasons.
1. The air conditioning didn't work consistently. The AC would somehow periodically reset itself to a higher temperature throughout my stay. i.e., I would go to bed with the temp at 68 and awake a few hours later with the room at 74. This meant I kept having to get up in the middle of the night and set the thermostat back to 68. I called the front desk to see if they could fix it. They sent a manager up who did an override to let my thermostat go down to 62; he said it would last for 3 days. During the second night at that setting, however, I woke up with the temperature back in the mid-high 70's and had to reset the temp back to 62. This was really disruptive to my sleep cycle. I travel Hilton for business, and the poor quality of sleep was a definite deal-breaker.
2. The hotel restaurant was seriously understaffed. I ate a few breakfasts and dinners here. At one point in time the continental breakfast, which is mostly cereal and fruit, was out of bowls (they told me they were washing them but it would be a 10 minute wait). On another occasion they were out of cereal. The buffet always looked destroyed. The staff was running around trying to keep up, but with so few staff, they could only do so much. The same thing could be said for dinner. I waited over 20 minutes for my waiter to even notice I needed a check because that single waiter was working the whole dinning room.

1 Thank Meghan S
Aloha Meghan S,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience. We sincerely apologize for not providing the level of service you deserved during your recent stay. We will work to improve on the areas you suggested in your review. Our team here continuously strives to improve all areas of customer service and your review and we take all concerns very seriously. We hope you can give us another chance to show our improvement.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Like many of you, I’m a heavy business executive who doesn’t have a “low set bar” related to service. In my industry - healthcare, high levels of service are to be expected – no tips, no awards, no pat on the back. You and your family’s health and livelihood are vital to us. I travel to Honolulu quite often to work in one of our facilities there. I’m a very loyal Hilton member and will stay at a property up to sometimes 15 miles further, if I have to. If you’re in Honolulu, you don’t have to do that. Most people (including myself at times) will stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is a great property. It has everything a vacation traveler would want in a small village atmosphere. But few people know or realize that just 150 yard away is one of Hilton’s best kept secrets in a property – The Doubletree Alana. Whether you’re staying for business or pleasure, this place is great. It’s great first and foremost because of its service offering. Beginning with their welcome team, you’re made to feel very welcomed and secure. From there, the front desk, restaurant and even cleaning personnel are top notch. I’ve been to the island more than 70 times in the past 6 years and The Doubletree Alana is the perfect place for business traveler who require and deserve a higher level of responsiveness, follow through and attention to detail – Starting with getting the type of room you requested (I hate it when hotels screw that up, how simple). I can hit the same shops at the village, run the same running paths and even shop Waikiki faster than when staying at the village. Some don’t remember that Doubletree is now part of Hilton. Some want to stay in a place that reminds them of Disney. Others would like great surrounding with high-touch service and does what they promise they will. If that’s the case, the next time you’re in Honolulu, hit the Doubletree Alana. You won’t be sorry. Marcus Williamson

1 Thank Marcus W
Aloha Marcus W,

Thank you so much for your review! Our team truly appreciates the time you took to share your experience and have all enjoyed getting to know you during your stays here. We look forward to many more years welcoming you back to our family.

Safe travels and see you soon!

CA
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is quaint and perfect and a great value for what we paid, very competitive for the area. It's within walking distance of the beaches, shopping and dining. The rooms are spacious though the gym is pretty small. The staff is exceptional and they have a car rental kiosk in the lobby- you can rent green cars by the hour. That's genius as we only needed a car for 2 days out of 5. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha CALI29,

Our sincerest thank you for your recent review! We look forward to welcoming y ou back soon. You are so right - the Green Car rental is absolute genius! I was blown away the first time I saw it...conveniently located in our hotel and good for the environment.

Mahalo (thank you) again for your kind note and we hope to see you soon!

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Between good and very good but not great. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, the neighborhood isn't the best with some shady types around: homeless and hookers late night / early morning. You can walk to the beach (10 minutes) but not on the water. Bathrooms have counter space BEHIND the sink not on a vanity. No vent or fan in the bathroom, keep the thermostat on 68 or it will get muggy. Maid staff didn't always replenish our soap, etc. free cookies are great, I am HH Gold so I had free wifi which was pretty fast and breakfast vouchers. The breakfast staff will freak if you don't eat in the restaurant and attempt to take your food to your room! Valet parking is the only option and you need to tip the valet guy. You can walk to anywhere in Waikiki...so that makes the properly ideal. The pool is small, the exercise room is decent. I would recommend the property overall but frankly we chose it due to our HH point level as the trip was covered by points.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bamabbc
Aloha Bamabbc,

Many thanks for your feedback! We truly appreciate the time to share your experience as we do share all reviews with our team to celebrate compliments and also to elevate our current service levels.

We have several different room formats that feature both rooms with and without vanities. As you mentioned, our location does make it ideal to walk to the beach as well as great shopping! Our Security Team monitors our hotel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and our one main entrance is monitored by security cameras a numerous team members. The safety and security of our property is definitely one of our strengths.

We hope to see you soon and thank you again for your review!