“Better and better each time”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Better and better each time”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member and my last visit here was June 2012 and from what I have seen recently done to the property was GREAT IMPROVEMENTS. I felt obilgated to write a review as I was very pleased with my stay. This is my 8 stay here at the Doubletree Alana and each time I return it seems to be getting better and better. They now have "Grab and Go" food items (which is fantastic idea for those on a tight schedule), The Bistro has improved with more delicious food /choices (I ordered dinner room service and that blew my mind - 200% improvement with service, taste, and plating - thank you).

I am very happy to return as I am always greeted by name form the front office staff - Thank You Elsa, Danny, Ewa, Kristen and Manager - Jessica for continueing to provide that 5-Star service I am used to.

Pros:
Valet staff very quick and prompt
Front Office Staff very accomodating
Location (not in the hustle and buslte of Waikiki)
Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie +++++
Free Upgrade (as a Gold HH) to Oceanview

Cons:
No longer pet friendly
Counter space in bathroom a little tight (especially if more than 1 person is staying)
AC unit can only be lowered by Maintenance staff

I have already booked my next 3 overnight business trips in December here - and will continue to use Doubletree Alana here on Oahu.

Room Tip: There is no self-parking here - VALET only
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank EzekielStone
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Aloha EzekielStone,

Thank you so much for your review of your most current stay with us. We're so glad to hear your comments regarding our service and improvements, as well as our signature chocolate chip cookies! Anytime you're in the area, we're more than happy to keep providing you with a great stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel. We'll keep your list of pros and cons in mind when thinking of what works and what needs improvement at our location.

We look forward to having you back with us soon!

The Doubletree by Hilton Alana Ohana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
British Columbia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We moved to this hotel after not getting any sleep at a previous noisy hotel. I slept like a baby. We had a room on the 12th floor and a view of the ocean. It was my first Hilton hotel and we were greeted with fresh warm cookies which is apparently routine for Hilton hotels. Our room was a typical sized hotel room and the bathroom was very nice. We did receive free wifi in the room as they are having a free trial(not sure why but it was free so I wasn't complaining). This hotel is about as far away as I would want to be from downtown Waikiki but given how much I ate it was probably a good thing! The staff were very friendly especially the valet staff. They were happy to give advice and were fast at their job. We didn't have a problem with paying for valet parking using a credit card so I'm not sure why a previous person had a problem unless she was not a guest and was only there as a daytime guest. I would stay here again if the price is right.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Caro281
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Aloha Caro281,

Mahalo for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our compilmentary wifi amenity, the service provided by our staff, our comfortable beds, and especially the signature DoubleTree by Hilton chocolate chip cookie that most of our guests remember us by.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay the next time you're in town.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Staff:
-The directions to find the conference room were written in acronyms that only the staff would understood “PB Communication Seminar” is what the sign stated
-When I asked the staff at the front desk where is the Communication Seminar, it was rudely stated to me, “it’s written on the sign” and then she gave me very vague instructions, stating only “Take the elevator to the next floor up”
-After getting lost a few times, I found out it was actually: take the elevator one floor up, go to the left down a long hallway, go all the way to the end - past the administration offices of Doubletree, go through a double door, take a left through an outside tunnel where there were apartment buildings to the left and right and then go through another set of double doors – where there was another hallway and the conference room was to the left (this was multiple buildings away from the initial building and elevator)

Valet Parking:
-There is ONLY valet parking, no other parking is available so folks are forced to pay any fee they set
-Even though they do accept credit cards for hotel stays, they do not accept CC’s for their valet parking at the front desk, like all other hotels I’ve ever seen do
-It can only be paid in cash, at the front desk, you can’t pay the valet guys…and that required me (and most the other seminar folks also complained) to use their ATM for a $3 total fee that of course, the hotel receives – plus a $2 fee that my bank charged me
-When I arrived the 2nd day, I waited in line for valet parking (with only two cars ahead of me) for over 10 minutes, just idling in my car…that was actually sticking out in the road, because there is so little space available to wait
-When I picked my car up at the end of the first day, I had to wait about 15 minutes for it to be brought to me

Conference Room Amenities:
-There were no pens/paper/water supplied at the tables like there usually are at other hotel seminars…just one jug of water in the back of the room on a table
-The bathrooms were always extremely smelly, like super gross smelly – the entire time I was there the smell never changed, it was very stomach turning
-The bathroom trash was overflowing from the beginning of the day to the end, to the point that if you wanted a clean paper towel, you literally had to touch the dirty ones because the trash and the clean paper towels met…so folks had to just wipe their wet hands on their clothing
-The air conditioning was so old and loud that it was a distraction from the speaker and made it difficult for the folks in the back of the classroom to hear him

Room Tip: If you're going here for a conference, put on your hiking boots and pull out your compass...you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Rose Z
Aloha Rose Z,

Thank you for your honest review of your recent experience as a seminar attendee of an event held on property. We have the main building, which houses our hotel rooms and another connecting business building that houses our offices and meeting/events spaces. Our directional signage are made at the instructions of the seminar planners, but your feedback regarding the level of service and instruction provided when attempting to find these common areas will also be addressed.

The city of Honolulu is pressed for space and because of such, our parking facilities are in-door. For the safety of our guests, as well as to control and ease the flow of traffic, our management team decided that valet parking was the best option for our hotel. We apologize if the $8 one-day seminar parking did not fit your needs. We try our best to keep our prices as low and reasonable as possible for our guests. Regarding the cash-only option, that will be brought up to the appropriate departments for review.

As for the water station set up, we follow the instructions of the seminar planner as far as whether to place water pitchers on every table or to have a designated water station towards the back of the room. We apologize for the issues with our common areas and we’re working with our housekeeping team to ensure these areas are cleaner and have the amenities guests’ desire.

Once again, we apologize for the negative experience you had as an attendee of a seminar held on property. Thank you for allowing us to improve by letting us know of your experience. We hope that if you do have an opportunity to attend another seminar on property, that you’ll give us another chance.

Mahalo and have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Anoka, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for business. Very good location. Walking distance to restaurants, shopping, and Waikiki Beach. Valet parking only, no self park. $30 per day with in/out priveledges. Staff was friendly, valet quick. Very expensive and after all the fees and extra charges it cn add up quickly.

Overall a good place to stay as long as you keep in mind it comes with a price.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Tolson70
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Aloha Tolson70,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear that the service provided during your stay met your expectations as a guest. We wish you a happy holiday season and hope to have you back again the next time you're in town.

East Freetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great hotel! I can tell it's been recently renovated, which is always nice. A little pricey but it's expected. Here on business...staff was very nice, and helpful with helping me pick places to eat dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Samantha S
Aloha Samantha S,

Mahalo for your lovely post. We're humbled to know that you want to live here and we hope to welcome you back for another stay in the future. Have a happy holiday season!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's a short walk to the beach and very centrally located. The pool is almost always in the shade because of the location of the pool among the high rises but that's usually okay. Nice staff. Good business location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pwilmo
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Aloha pwilmo,

Thank you so much for your time in posting about your stay with us! We're glad you enjoyed the area and our hotel and we hope to have you back again the next time you're in town.

San Diego, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

When we first checked in at Alana, we were tired & exhausted. All we wanted was a comfy bed & a cookie! The staff here did much more than that thanks to a warm & wonderful person named June. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary & my husband is awaiting a heart transplant! So getting here was exhausting as you can imagine. She checked on us daily to see if we needed anything!!! She sent a gorgeouse fruit tray & a card signed by all of them wishing us congratulations!! It was exactly what we had hoped for. We 'd already stayed at the busy & noisy beach hotels many times, we needed peace with a view. All the staff are so eager to assist you from the valet to the front desk!! Mahalo to you all, we will definitely be back!!!!! Mary Bordman

Room Tip: Choose the penthouse. It is so worth the extra price! It's huge inside & 2 tv's, no argu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Aloha Mary!

Thank you so much for sharing about your experience here at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel. June, our Front Desk Supervisor, has always had guests as her number one priority and it’s so great to see when guests recognize her thoughtfulness and caring nature. She’ll beyond thrilled to know that she was able to assist with creating a wonderful travel experience for your husband and yourself. Congratulations on reaching your 35th anniversary and we wish your husband a successful heart transplant in the near future and a speedy recovery! We look forward to having you both with us the next time you travel to Waikiki again.