“Absolutely misleading”

Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Henderson, Nevada
“Absolutely misleading”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

First the good. The valet attendants were very helpful. The location is good for shopping and the beach is reachable via a mile or so walk.

The bad. I have been traveling for more than 20 years 40+ weeks a year. In the past I have worked in Hawaii more than 25 times. This was by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. I was led to believe based on the website that the 2bed suite had two bedrooms. If you check the picture of the 2bed suite it is NOTHING like the room I stayed in. Needless to say the room didn't meet the size requirements for 2 adults and 2 older children. When I complained to the front desk I was told "yeah, I guess the website is sort of misleading". The picture is nothing like the room I received.

The really sad part of this is I spent ~250,000 Hilton Honors points for this place. I guess my $25,000 spent at Hilton just isn't worth much to them. Now I get to rebook the next five months of my current project somewhere else.

The breakfast was overpriced. Take a walk to Eggs n Things or iHop for better quality.

Just stay clear of this hotel. The low price just doesn't justify the end results of a poor experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Brett T
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Aloha Brett T,

Thank you for staying with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. We apologize if the wording on our website was misleading in any way. The photo posted on the website is of the suite so it shows the approximate size of the suite from opposite the door entrance. New perspectives about our hotel and guest room appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If we gave you the impression that you did not matter to our hotel, we sincerely apologize for not providing the caring and rewarding service that you deserved. Once again we want to apologize for not meeting your expectations. We also want to thank you for your honest feedback and hope that you’ll give us another chance to make things right.

The Doubletree by Hilton Alana Ohana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stay at this hotel for 3 weeks every month. I feel like I am at home. The staff is great. The hotel is in the middle of Waikiki. Rooms are clean,nice and comfortable. Each time I spend time in this hotel is very enjoyable for me and I would definitely recommend others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Derya-Hawaii
Aloha Derya-Hawaii!

First of all, thank you for your continued patronage to our hotel! We are always happy to have you with us and are just so happy to know that you feel at home here with our team. Thank you for sharing your recommendation and we hope that each time you stay with us, we are able to make each stay better than the last!

Pasco, Washington
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Very nice hotel right in the heart of Waikiki. Hotel check in was poor as I offered a smoking room which I declined and then was told that there were no other rooms available. I got sold an upgraded room ($30 extra per day) for a non-smoking room.

Rooms are nice, well appointed and comfortable. All of the amenities you'd expect.. Internet for a fee of 9.95 per day and parking at $30 per day (!)

The gym is nice and overlooks the outside pool.

Getting to the beach required walking about 5 minutes across the street and through the Hilton village. Shopping (including the ala moana mall) and dining options abound within walking distance.

Recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Aloha Scrutineer44,

Thank you for your recommendation! We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We make our best effort to provide the room type desired by our guests and want to apologize that we weren’t able to place you in a non-smoking room during your stay. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. We hope to see you again the next time you’re in town!

Kinglake, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed one night as a rest point on our way to Maui. Our room wasn't quite ready as we were too early for check in. We were politely told that we could go and come back again if we wished. We declined as we were beat from a 10 hr flight over and so sat in the lobby quietly. Musta been the thing that spooked em cos our room was quickly ready! Ta-dah!
I quite liked our superior room. It wasn't big but it did the trick.But it did look clean & fairly newly remodelled. Nice colours of browns & teal.
I cant comment about traffic noise as we hit the hay hard but woke refreshed. Abundant pillows & a big king bed.
Breakfast was..well...a little uninspiring. $16US got a cold breakfast but $22 would get you a fresh, made to order omelet by the chef right in front of you. Quick frankly, we could've found a better breakfast. I love that there was vit D in my milk! You guys are smart!!!
But we loved the location. We walked to Ala Moana shopping centre in about 15 minutes. Theres plenty to see along the way.
PS: We adored the cookies (biscuits here!!) they were slightly warm too! mmmmm

Room Tip: If you aren't a natural breakfast eater, dont worry so much about getting breakfast with your ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AuntyMoo
AlanaGuestServices, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Aloha AuntyMoo,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay this past August. We’re happy to have had you with us even if just for a day. We’re so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you also enjoyed your time in Maui. We look forward to having you back again in the future – we promise we’ll still have our warm and delicious Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies waiting here for you!

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Spent five nights here on business. It's a nice hotel with OK interior. Rooms are not the largest but adequate. Bathroom was nice. $30/day for parking is maybe a little much. Wi-Fi is pretty good, but will sporadically drop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Aloha Viktr,

Thank you for staying with us on your business trip. And thank you for your feedback about our price of parking. Parking in the Waikiki area can be a bit on the higher side, so we try to offer the lowest prices here at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel. Our apologies on the Wi-Fi connection sporadically dropping while in use. We will be sure to address that issue with our internet provider. Once again, mahalo for your comments and we look forward to another chance to have you back at our hotel the next time you’re in town.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was in oahu for just 3 nights, was in Kauai for a wedding before and figured I would extend my vacation a few extra days.

Some of the good things about the Doubltree-nicely remodeled rooms. The gym is available 24 hrs. Location is great, walked everywhere I wanted to go.

Some of the negatives- since I have gold hilton honors status i receive free continental breakfast. The free breakfast at Hapmton Inns are MUCH better than at this Doubletree. You have the option of spending $9 extra to get the hot buffet items, which were all cold, the only thing hot was the omlete that was made to order. Very disappointing. Also frustrating, the internet connection was SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Also not sure when the hotel was built but the pool location is not very good. By 2pm there is no sun left on the pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Aloha snf8track,

We’re very sorry that the food quality did not meet you expectations. Here at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel, we work continually to improve our menu offerings so your feedack will be kept in mind while we work on our improvements. We are also sorry that our Wi-Fi connection was a concern during your time with us. Thank you for helping us improve by sharing your experience with us. We hope you’ll stay with us the next time you’re in the area and let us know how we’re doing

Makawao, Hawaii
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Spent three nights here on a business trip and was looking forward to yet another stay at a DoubleTree Hotel.

Positives:
-Bathroom was attractive and well set up
-Room was cleaned well-
-Pool was heated and very comfortable
-Fitness room adequately fitted
-Express checkout made leaving quick and easy
-Complimentary newspaper
-Ice machine very accessible
-Very comfortable bed

Negatives:
-Outside noise (bus, sirens, people yelling) can be heard into the room and I was on the 16th floor. Hotel is located in Waikiki which is not known to be a quiet zone.
-Internet access is charged per device
-No self parking
-Had to talk to the front desk staff several times, however, there was only one occasion where I was acknowledged (I'll be right with you) I really appreciated hearing it that one time. Another time, I was trying to explain a situation to a Chinese front desk person seemed to be getting frustrated with not understanding a situation I was trying to explain. It was never resolved (she said she would check with the person I spoke with) and I ended up paying for something I was promised would be waived. Obviously she never checked nor got back to me about what I spoke to her about.

Despite that, I had an enjoyable stay again and would definitely recommend others to do so as well.

Room Tip: -Parking is $30/night. -If you're a light sleeper, bring something to help muffle the sound as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aloha MauiRanger,

Mahalo for your response with the pros and cons of your stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel. We’re glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and thank you so much for your recommendation! As for the negatives, we’re very sorry about your experience at the front desk. If you have time, please feel free to send an explanation of what should have been waived to HNLKA.DS@HILTON.COM so that we can get your situation resolved. Thank you again for your feedback regarding our hotel and we look forward to having you at our hotel in the future!