“A little overpriced for what is included”

DoubleTree by Hilton Alana - Waikiki Beach
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I think this hotel would be better if either the breakfast, wifi, or parking were included in the fee. The DT Alana charges like it's a fancy place but the interior and amenities don't really justify the prices.

The front desk staff was just so-so, they didn't really bend over backwards to help us.
The valets were really good. They had lots of helpful suggestions.
The guy working the hot breakfast buffet was good too.

The rooms had old worn out carpet and really tiny bathrooms. The kitchenette area was decent - big sink, small fridge, coffeemaker.
The living room had comfortable furniture but it didn't look very nice.
The beds were comfortable. We had a weird room divider separating the living room from the bedroom. It looked like it was constructed from leftover closet doors and they made a big commotion when you closed them

The patios were a nice feature but they had crappy views and the views would even be okay if they updated the balcony railing and furniture.

We had an issue with our air conditioner that maintenance fixed very quickly - that was nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,613)

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for 10 days and there were good and not so good aspects to it.
I travel to Honolulu yearly for work and have stayed in a variety of hotels.

The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. They were in the top 3% of hotel staffs that I have encountered in Waikiki. When I had to move rooms due to excessive noise from roadwork below my room at 10pm at night, the night manager Alan was exceptionally courteous. Grade = A++.

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows soft. I had to switch out my pillows after the first night because they smelled moldy. Grade = B+

Proximity to major roads in/out of Waikiki (Ala Moana and Kalakula) was good. It was nice not having to drive down from east Waikiki through the troves of tourists on Kuhio. Grade = B+

Cleanliness: Grade = B+

Noise from street: Grade = C this is a problem due to the location, depending upon the room I suppose

Access to shops/restaurants etc.: Grade = C+ you'll have to walk to get to decent shops/eateries

Laundry services: there is no laundromat for hotel guests. To get your clothes cleaned in the hotel you'll have to dish out exorbitant prices (e.g. $6 for one pair of pants). There is a laundromat across kalakula next to a drug store. It's across a busy street and puts you into the local environment, which is not as safe or convenient as being in a hotel. Grade = D

Fitness center - small but very nice for a hotel fitness center. very clean and free to hotel guests Grade = A

Pool - small swimming pool next to fitness center. Not for young children as shallowest part is 3 feet. But it is heated. Grade = B+

Internet - You'll have to pay a ridiculous $10+ fee per 24 hour period. Internet service is important to me and in my mind there is no excuse why any hotel charges for internet use. Grade = D

Overall, a nice hotel that is still a work in progress.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe M
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed two nights before heading off to new Disney resort. Staff was very friendly, it was an easy walk to beach. Room was very comfortable, and as always, the cookies were great. Location worked out well for us since we like to walk, but nothing was too far. We were using Hilton points so it was a bargain for us.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Alan Waikiki for 5 days in September. The location is centrally located near the Hilton Hawaiian Village (walking distance). You are a 10minute walk to the beach (walking through the Hilton Hawaiian Village), which is pretty convenient. For the price (and avoiding the resort fees), it's a great alternative.

We enjoyed our room, which was very spacious (1 king bed, oversized arm char, patio area, desk area). The bathroom was one of the smaller bathrooms, which was only a shower (no tub), but it was more than adequate for our needs.

Staff were helpful and very accommodating. the few cons included a small pool (smaller than expected at least), and spotty internet, expensive (but comparable to all of waikiki) valet parking.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ace_Coco
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I agree with many of the reviews that this hotel has a great location and is a cheaper option than being right on the beach. I've stayed here twice and each time I was upgraded to a suite because of my status with Hilton Honors. The one thing I don't like about their suites is that they are situated around the elevator shafts. In fact they wrap around them, so in the living room there is elevator noise. The bedroom can be closed off though and it's quiet. The service here is great and they seem to value your patronage. Beware that there is only valet parking and it's $29/day which is typical of Waikiki. If you don't have a car, you probably don't need one there if you only want to see Waikiki and Ala Moana because they are both very close walking distance.

1  Thank Dr_Drew2
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Double Tree by Hilton Alana Waikiki is centrally located between Ala Moana shopping centre and the the up market area of Honolulu. The service was great. When we arrived we were promptly looked after and given choc cookies as a welcome! After a 10 hour flight from Sydney it was nice to check in and put our feet up in a clean and friendly hotel.

The hotel has a gym and pool, but we used the beaches on the northern part of the island. There is a bar in the hotel but it closes at 10pm. There are tea and coffee facilities in the room and wired internet access. Wireless internet is available on the 1st 3 floors for free, which was great for Skype calls. nb.they charge if you use the internet service in the rooms.

Whilst the hotel was clean and friendly, I did find that the shower design a bit of a problem- you had to make sure you sealed the glass doors tightly or water would end up all over the floor. There was no need to add cold water to your shower as the hot water was just right.

1  Thank ItsTimetoRelaxNow
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The overall feeling that I got from the hotel was that it was just average. On the plus side, it was relatively inexpensive, but these people who posted that it was an "easy walk to the beach" are being generous, in my opinion. The beach is at least 3 blocks away. There are some restaurants nearby, and better ones within about half a mile. The outrageous charge for valet parking ($28 a night) deterred me from renting a car, so I was relegated to the city bus for the duration of my stay. As a gold member in HHonors, I was upgraded to a suite, but the "suite" was nothing special. I was stuck with a view of numerous other surrounding buildings. The pool is fine, again, nothing special. Perhaps the best part of the stay was the housekeeper, who, upon seeing me leave my room in swim trunks literally RAN to me to offer me towels -- now THAT is service. I guess you get what you pay for; an inexpensive hotel, but overall just okay. Next time, I think I'll pay a bit more to stay somewhere better.

Room Tip: Get a room with a "partial ocean view."