“Halekulani needs a renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
A TripAdvisor Member
“Halekulani needs a renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Halekulani for the last week of our Honeymoon. After coming from a week at the Four Seasons in Maui, this place was a total let down. The setting is lovely -- a meal at Orchids is relaxing and beautiful, but the food was only OK. The breakfast buffet was a little on the gross side -- not the most sanitary.
The rooms are on the small side, and the decor feels very dated. The showers are EXTREMELY small. At a very slim 5'6" I barely had enough room to turn around, and my poor husband had to squat to get under the showerhead (he's 6'). The hotel seems to cater to Japanese tourists -- perhaps that's why the bathrooms are on the small side? Also -- there is no hot tub! We were very disappointed by that.
The service was great, and the touches like chocolates in the room are thoughtful, but the place was disapointing. It seems it's the nicest on Waikiki -- but I would never rank this as a world class hotel.

• Stayed December 2004
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

My family recently returned from a stay at this hotel. We took grandma, parents and 11 year olds. Was put off by the policy of no more than 3 to a room. Its quite a racket because you can't sleep more than 2 in a room--they only provide 1 King bed or 2 twins. They say one child under 17 stays free in parents' room, but you actually have to pay $50.00 for a roll-away to accomodate that child. Nevertheless, the hotel was absolutely gorgeous. We had wonderful ocean views from the balconies. Took advantage of the spa and was generally pleased with the service. The pool attendants took care of drinks and cool towels, but forgot about my elderly mother lounging under a plumeria tree off the beaten path. They failed to attend to her needs even after I requested they remember her.

The construction across the strees is horrendous. Our hired car could not get close to the hotel because the street was closed. My mother (who has trouble walking) had to schlep a long block in the heat to get to the hotel. I understand the hotel has no control over this, and I certainly don't hold it against them, but if you are traveling there in the next 6-8 months with a similarly infirmed individual, you may want to reconsider.

Overall, the experience was marvelous. The special touchs likes notes and goodies were appreciated and added to the experience.

• Stayed June 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norwich, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2005

This is a first class hotel but expensive - we paid nearly $2500 for four nights room only. The rooms and the hotel generally is excellent HOWEVER there are several noisy demolition sites immediately opposite the hotel, literally a stone's throw across the road. Work started at 6.00am whilst we were there (1st. to 5th. June) and included Saturday working. Road and pedestrian access were seriously compromised.
I asked the hotel management if they advised clients about this work but they said that as it wasn't actually on their property they had no responsibility in this matter.
In this country (Enland) booking agents are obliged to tell clients about such things when they book accomodation. No-one told us so I have an argument to take. I photographed and videoed the work and disruption.
I suggest visiting after 2007.

• Stayed June 2005
46 Thank John36
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2005

We recently stayed at the Halekulani for our honeymoon- all I can say is, "wow!" After seeing it featured on The Travel Channel, I knew it was worthy of a splurge for a few days. Not being millionaires, my husband and I reserved a garden view room, but were instantly upgraded to an ocean-view room. The room, clean and serene in white linens, was just what we needed after spending 6 hours on a plane. We were thrilled with the complimentary champagne, chocolates, fresh papaya, etc.... We decided not to rent a car, but wanted to go to Pearl Harbor and the North Shore one day - the concierge instantly got us a car for the day - no effort exerted by us! Yes, the beach is almost non-existant, but the pool is fabulous, and so clean! Plus, the beaches flanking the hotel are bigger and only a stroll away.

• Stayed May 2005
13 Thank LeenaB
Eastcoast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2005

This hotel is fabulous.......The service is excellent, the rooms are excellent, the hotel is excellent. The pictures on the site does not do this hotel any justice.........THIS HOTEL IS WONDERFUL..........

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank Hawaiioahu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2005

My family and I had planned to stay at the Halekulani for a nice weekedn getaway. My parents would have their own room while my best friend and I would have our own room right besides my parents'. My parents decided to leave the reservation making up to me and when I did I specifically requested a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, the reservationists were a bit hostile towarsd us. They refused to except my father's credit card without having the manager double check his credit card even though the cedit card was authorized without a problem. Even then, they founf it necessary to call the credit card company to make sure it was a valid credit card. As if that weren't offensive enough, once we headed up to our rooms we were disgusted to find that our reservations were on a smoking- rooms floor. My entire family be avidly drug-free found the lingering smell of stale tabacco most obnoxious and nauseating. Unfortunately, we had an event in the city that weekedn and would be far too occupied to try and book another hotel so last-minute, so we were obliged to stay at teh Halekulani. his truly is an unfortunate event as the hotel truly was a beautiful one but with service like that, I could dfintely live without ever going there again.

• Stayed February 2004
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2005

We stayed at the Halekulani for 2 nights, April 27 and 28, 2005. We used a travel consultant and were told about the work being done around the pool, so we had no surprises. Getting to the beach was not difficult and by April 29 the pool work was completed and the access to the beach from the hotel was reopened. We found the service to be excellent and the room was serene and beautiful. The old Ohana hotels on Lewers are being torn down, but we didn't hear any construction noise while at the hotel. The House Without a Key is a favorite of ours and even when we have stayed at other hotels, we have had many meals there while watching the sunset and listening to the evening entertainment. The only thing I would add to the room would be an iron. Everything else is provided. We enjoyed having a CD player and used it often. It had been 20 years since our last stay at the Halekulani and we will not let that many years go by again without another visit.

• Stayed April 2005