Our family of 6 (four kids ages 15, 13, 11 and 8) spent last week, 7 nights, and had the best spring break ever.The service is impeccable from arrival at valet, check in where the staff escorts you to the room and explains everything, pool valets, dining staff and housekeeping who even picked up our kids clothes and folded neatly and placed on the bench at the foot of the bed. They were a little late for the evening turn down which came around 8-8:30 after we were already back from dinner and our younger two kids in bed.
We had two adjoining ocean front rooms which fronted the pool with the beach behind it. Set back in the base of the U shaped main building. The two rooms shared a common foyer which has a locking door so we were able to keep the interior doors for each room open permanently. Large spacious rooms with sitting area and a big lanai (chaise, table and two chairs). Well furnished with large flat screen, HDTV service and a blu-ray DVD player. Updated lighting/HVAC controls beside and outlets on desk and on dresser. Bathroom doors are just louvered french doors so if you value privacy, not the best. Also, no mini bar; instead the mini fridge has complimentary water bottles which is even better. Fine service on the wifi which also worked well pool side.
The overall property was immaculate with large pool big enough for a swimming workout in the mornings. No issue with finding chaise loungers at any time during the day. Since the sun goes across the property all areas get sun at some point of day so no one preferred spot spreading the demand across all poolside areas. They have a great setup with the valets putting fitted covers over the cushions for every user each day and provide complimentary snacks and water.
Since this is the high end hotel in Waikiki, not as many kids but very kid friendly. One benefit is that the pool itself is rarely used so not crowded at all for the kids. Peak afternoon there would be only 4-5 kids and few adults. Very small beach though, if you are a die hard lie in the sand person, not the hotel for you. At high tide the beach practically disappears.
I think it has the perfect location in Waikiki as you are at end of a spur road on western portion of Waikiki off the main road (Kalakaua) so not crowded at all but you have the new Waikiki Beach Walk and the shops at the Royal Hawaiian a block away providing all the retail and dining options you need off site. No real sundry shop but an ABC store is right across the street. No water sport concession either but adjacent hotels on both sides have them so they are easily available. If you want to surf, a surf school is right across the street which uses the beach in front of hotel and the hotel can store surf boards in the pool area overnight if you want to surf more.
Some reviews were critical about the number of weddings which is correct but impact was negiligible. Only once did we ever see the wedding party outside of the lobby. Complaint about the pool temp was also mentioned which was not correct. Pool temp is around 82, ocean was 80 and my kids found the temps perfect. Overall, the most satisfied with a hotel I've been on a family vacation I've ever been. Can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halekulani has been hosting visitors to Waikiki Beach for nearly 100 years. Today its reputation for gracious hospitality, impeccable service and magnificent cuisine is unequaled on Oahu and renowned, throughout the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Hotwire, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Halekulani Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halekulani Hotel Honolulu
- Halekulani Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu