“House Befitting Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Auburn, ME
“House Befitting Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Halekulani translates to "House Befitting Heaven" and never a truer word was spoken! We arrived here after a 5.5 hours overnight flight and were warmly greeted. We were able to get into our room right as we arrived at about 7:30 am. We were escorted to our room and also given a tour of the property by a very friendly and efficient employee. Upon arriving into our room, we immediately smelled cigarette smoke. The employee did not even skip a beat and called the front desk to change our room immediately. We weren't given the usual excuses. We were escorted to a lovely multiply upgraded room. The Ocean Junior Suite was just perfect with a lanai on one side and French patio(not a real Patio) on the other directly facing the ocean.It had a very comfortable king-sized bed, a bay window, free wifi, was quiet,and two bathroom sinks. Our initial room(the least expensive) was lovely too but wasn't as large, had a lanai facing the ocean at an angle but still an ample view. You would have to stand up on the lanai to see the ocean however but we had expected a garden/ctyd view so if the initial room had not been smoky, we would have found it acceptable.
This hotel is right on Waikiki Beach and has all the ambience that you would expect at this location. It has a very good view of Diamond Head. It has a nightly show of Hawaiian dance and music which can be very crowded but the service is still very good for drinks or a light dinner.The hotel has the famous pool with a tiled orchid designed into the bottom of the pool. I thought I was going to be annoyed by the way the pool policy of basically not "saving" your beach chairs was going to be administered but it turned out to be just fine. .I thought I was going to have to basically ask for permission to leave my chaise lounge for a few minutes but that didn't turn out to be true. The hotel has a big-city feel so if you like a quaint, quiet, cottagey little place, this is not the accommodation for you.
This hotel is accustomed to dealing with a fussy clientele. The quick service for taxis, questions, checking out, etc. is excellent.
WE ate at Orchids,one of their restaurants, and were impressed by the food and service. WE had a table right by the water.
We also had a breakfast buffet at the House Without Keys on two mornings. My husband and I hate buffets so it's hard for me to be totally fair but the food selection was very good. Here is where the hotel falters a bit in accommodating a big crowd. The service was very good but not excellent and the crowded buffet was annoying. Birds will also eat your food if you are not careful. I believe we could have eaten off the menu in Orchids.
The hotel is in easy walking distance to the new Waikiki Beach Walk, a mega-shopping area, with high end stores.
I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again in a heartbeat. Read House Without a Key, a Charlie Chan mystery novel, to get into the mood before your arrival.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions if the view is superbly important to you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JoanneLebel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I spent our 40th anniversary in Hawaii last Sept. I believe the Halekulani Hotel is the best hotel in Oahu. We were treated like royalty, fresh fruit in room along with chocolates. Beautiful ocean front room with a great view, what more can one ask for. Enjoyed our breakfast on the beautiful patio grounds. Found the waitresses to be very friendly and accommodating. I have no complaints about the Halekulani at all. Would love to come back for my 45th anniversary.
Bette

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bette H
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I cannot fault this residence. The service is exceptional and the accommodation is worthy of the five-stars that it has been allocated. With great restaurants on site and a view which is magnificent, there really is no need to leave the property ... but, being Waikiki, you would be mad not to go wandering.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve S
Edgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I have visited the Halekulani a number of times in the past few years. We have always thought that it was the best hotel in Waikiki. Not so much any more. Maybe it was the time of year (October) but it was just too busy and it seemed that the staff was overwhelmed. We counted 10 weddings over the weekend.
Upon check in we arrived at 1:30 and they told us our room was not ready yet and that they would call our cell when the room was ready. We said fine and proceeded to change into our swim suits which we had packed in our carry on knowing this may happen. We had to change in a poolside bathroom, they did not even offer us a place to change. We sat by the pool and never received a call. At 4PM I decided to check on our room. They said Oh yes, oops, they forgot to call. In my opinion when you are paying a premium rate for a hotel you should at least get the room on time.
We got to our room and the view was great but the room seemed tired and dirty.
The bedspread had stains on it as well as the rug.
Oh well.
I will say that even being as overwhelmed as they were the service, besides the front desk, was great. Very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: You want a room with a view of Diamond Head. If you can get an ocean front room you will get to see...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Lawrence O
Potomac, Md. USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were disappointed during our 3 day stay. The hotel is living off its reputation of old.We should have realized things had changed when we saw the receptionists dressed in sterile office garb. Where's the aloha spirit? Room was medium-sized, average appointment, light on communication and electronic connections, missing curtains for privacy (looks right on to other balconies). The shower knobs are too high-tech, we miss the simplicity of the good ole off and on knob. However, there are lots of little pluses, like shoe buffers and lots of hangers and cosmetic goodies. No ironing board. I guess the bottom line is that it's overpriced because of its location. At $32 a person for the breakfast buffet, we were surprised that the selections were not larger.

Room Tip: A garden view room would be just as good . We had an ocean view but it really was a partial ocean vi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank RoxiePotomac
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for four nights. The rooms were nice, although just standard for hotel of this caliber (nothing special or surprising). Pool is not child-friendly, the water is freezing and there is not hot tub for warming up. The hotel otherwise is fine with kids. Breakfast buffet is great, served where drinks and late afternoon/early evening hula dancers are located, looking out over the ocean. Not a place to go if looking for a quiet getaway as the hustle/bustle of Waikiki is all around. We were with our children so we did not get to sample the fancier restaurants or the spa. Higher priced than other hotels in the area, but also probably nicer accommodations. Our hotel of choice when in Honolulu.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank timo123123
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I spent my first time in Hawaii for a week as my birthday celebration. Apart from many variety of delicious food I could get, what I can think about Hawaii is Halekulani hotel--the hi-end nice and clean resort that comes with numbers of complimentary activities and friendly staff. I would love to give a five stars rating, however, it's a little bit pricey. I wish they offer a good deal to an existing customer :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family