“Heaven on Earth!”
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my first trip to Hawaii and my first stay on Honolulu!

I can't say that this wasn't a taste of Heaven above! We had a ocean front deluxe room and it was absolutely fantastic! The views, the in-room amenities, the outlay of the guest room, the attention to detail were all perfect.

We were told this was a 5 star hotel and we were indeed treated as if it were a 5 star hotel. We were not disappointed at all!

The way the service staff treated you, the way you were treated in the dining room, the attention to every detail, the housekeeping staff keeping your room immaculate, from refreshing the sheets daily, to providing extra towels each day, the way the staff remembered your names in the restaurants were all wonderful.

Definitely try out the "House Without the Key Lounge." It is not to be missed. You will enjoy one of the most exciting and intimate bars in all of of the islands. The drinks are the best in the islands. It has the bet Mai Tai of anywhere I have ever tasted.

Of all the hotels on Waikiki this one is the very best. You couldn't pick a better location. If you get anxious and need to get out and do some shopping you can leave room and walk two blocks and be in the center of the shopping district. Once again the location is perfect.

I have stayed in other "on the beach hotels" in Hawaii and compared to the Halekulani, the others are noisy, overrun with spoiled and bratty children. You will NOT find that at the Halekuliani.

For a peaceful, quiet relaxed vacation, definitely head to the Halekulani! It is a wonderful 5 star hotel with a 5 star service and the most detailed personal service anywhere!

Thank you Halekulani for a perfect introduction to Hawaii1

Room Tip: Get an Ocean Front Deluxe Room with a Lanai with a Bed and Breakfast Package Plan.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank andrewjv1955

Reviewed July 31, 2013

It has been a while since I've been back to the Halekulani - havestayed here in the past but the past 4 trips I opted for another hotel.. MISTAKE.. Why did I wait so long to return?!

ALOOOOOHA! From the time I drove up to the valet service, I was greeted local style and felt welcome - SOOOOOO unlike the "other" hotel I went to . EVERY single staff person I encountered (valet, concierge, waitress, bus boy, bell hop) was polite, friendly, cordial, happy, smiling! Way to go, Halekulani! IMUA!!

P.S. The valet was exceptional - got a cab for my friends right away...and while I was waiting for my car, he got me a chilled bottled water! What service!! So very impressed and happy that the Halekulani is full of the aloha spirit!

"Other" hotels should take a lesson or two from the awesome staff at the Halekulani!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Costanza1975
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 10 days. Upon arrival my flight was delayed 8 hours so it was 1am. The second I pulled into valet I was whisked into another world. My room was gorgeous and had a great view even though i had only been expecting a "courtyard view". The staff was quick to adjust the name the room was under to just mine as it originally was under another name. I was traveling alone and felt safe at the hotel the entire time there is a lot of security on the grounds. I was always greeted by my name and housekeeping was so kind. The pool staff was attentive but not overly attentive to where you felt bothered. Concierge helped me book several excursions and all of them were fabulous, the hotel seems to be well known by the tourist companies they recommended and they ensured I was the last picked up for expeditions and first dropped back off at the end. The hotel is close to great shopping and reataurants but you dont feel as if you are smack dab in the middle of it all as the hotel is so quiet and relaxing. Everything about this hotel is top notch and I would never consider staying anywhere else on Oahu. I hope to return soon to be whisked away again. The hotel is pricey but in this case you definitely get what you pay for and I feel it is money well spent. This is not a hotel for children but for couples or single individuals looking to be pampered 24/7. Every hotel needs to take a lesson from the Halekulani. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Brittany S
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great place to hang by the pool with the ocean steps away, partial Ocean View rooms are fantastic for balcony lounging & views of surfers in the ocean. Staff was wonderful, food great. You don't need a car if you are staying for a short while, unless you want to explore the island.

Room Tip: We were on 3rd floor, partial view room and the view, quiet was good. Make sure you don't get a...
3  Thank Tanya F
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We picked the Halekulani because it was as close to boutique as we could find in Hawaii, and by American standards it was.
Whilst it was certainly a large hotel you didn't feel like you shared it with hundreds of others. There was always a space to relax which wasn't too crowded and the service was always at tentative.
The rooms were really well appointed and the twice daily fresh water and ice service was a welcome and elegant touch. It was always a pleasure to come back to the room after dinner in the hotel to find the beds turned down and water refreshed, ready for a refreshing nights sleep on truly good mattresses with probably the best pillows I've ever slept on.
The formality of the hotel meant one didn't see too many children at dinner at night. Dinner in one of the 3 restaurants, all of which catered to one's individual needs, from relaxed to formal. A very nice touch. The food was certainly better than other hotels I've stayed in.
One particular pleasure was Terry, the bar man, in l'Aperatif a la Mer, who night after night was a delight with his stories of his experiences of 30 years having worked there.
This is not a cheap hotel, let's be clear, but you certainly get what you pay for and I can't wait to get back. All staff is friendly without being intrusive, incredibly helpful, and very knowledgeable. one would always be acknowledged when encountering staff in halls or other public places.
The hotel is perfectly located for walks to nearby restaurants and a 20 minute walk to Alamoana Mall. It has all day sun and should you wish, you wouldn't need to leave the hotel at all. Just hang by the pool and indulge in excellent food and cocktails!

6  Thank RvanD
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The world's greatest properties enhance your travel experience and become a key part of wonderful memories-- In Hawaii, there are two such choices, each reflecting the true spirit of a generous native heart, lush vegetation and memorable cuisine: in Oahu, the Halekulani; and on the Big Island - Kona Village.

The Halekulani benefits first from the most desirable location on Waikiki Beach, with many rooms offering an unobstructed view of Diamond Head. Sunsets beckon you downstairs to the Room Without A Key, where drinks, appetizers and lugubrious music soothe away any lingering stress of your stay. The staff is expertly attenuated to your every need, anticipating as much as responding with courtesy.

As others have mentioned, the housekeeping is without flaw, as are the amenities.. Every detail of the property invites appreciation from the well-traveled and from those for whom first class is a way of life as much as an expectation in luxury travel.

I cannot wait to return, and neither will you.

Room Tip: Higher rooms on the wing with Diamond Head Suites provide a memory-maker
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank LuxurySpeaks
Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the moment you arrive the Halekulani just welcomes you with open arms. All the staff from the management to the boys who open the cab doors smile at you and greet you warmly. Why can't other hotels learn to do that? it does not cost anything and it just means so much. Its all down to staff training or maybe picking the right staff. My wife and I stayed there for 8 days in July and I could not find fault, and I am hard to please. Housekeeping come round twice a day and nothing is to much trouble. Even round the pool the attendants come round with iced water ,chilled fruit and ice-creams. The problem with the Halekulani is it spoils you staying at other hotels as you use the Halekulani as the yard -stick. The food& service in the restaurants is very good and one morning we had breakfast in the room, the waiter even had our own toaster to make sure our toast was hot and as we wanted it.Our stay was perfect and we did not want to leave our Waikiki Paradise.Just one question ,why do Japanese tourists take photos of their food before they eat it?

Room Tip: Pick a high floor and if possible over looking Diamond Head
2  Thank gary t