“Best Wakiki hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Leominster, MA
“Best Wakiki hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

They are the best not just because of the location: the service and attention to detail is unsurpassed in this area. If we had our kids with us on this trip, we'd stay at the Hilton. But for a couples trip it's hard to beat the food, service and decor.

Amex customers- we booked through Amex, and were upgraded upon arrival to a Diamond Head suite- I have included a couple photos. I didn't think the $500 upgrade was worth it when I looked online, but the views are awesome.

Room Tip: Check the pics of the Diamond Head suite view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ejfmaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The most recent incident of racial discrimination that has been in the news has brought back bad memories of my own terrible experience at the Halekulani Hotel. A while back we stayed at this hotel for a seven day holiday and paid thousands of dollars for a prime Diamond Head view room. We enjoyed their restaurants and views very much but I was appalled by the security guards acts of racial discrimination. Whenever I walked back to my room, I was watched with a look of suspicion and on one occasion even followed up to my floor by a security guard. He watched me until I walked into my room! I was hurt by the inference that I didn't belong and I was a committing a crime. I am part Hawaiian and I have darker skin. If I were a Japanese national or white, I would not have been treated this way. I will never stay there again. I recently stayed at the Kahala Resort and was treated like royalty there! If you are a person of color, I highly suggest you stay at another hotel. The Halekulani security guards WILL ABSOLUTELY ruin your vacation. Don't give your hard earned money to a company that condones racial prejudice. Get your act together Halekulani! Show some respect to the people of Hawaii.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
78 Thank Kamaaina M
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Two thumbs up for this perfect luxury complex.
Probably the best design rooms.
Attention to details and service's delivery perfect.
Ideal ambiance for every hour of the day.
Best experience at all the three hotel restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south to the pool courtyard are sunny.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ROBERTO G
Poipu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Honolulu is a nice place to escape for the weekend when you live on Kauai. This property is a good escape from reality.
The service was fantastic, as always. from the moment we arrived until we sadly departed, the Halekulani went above and beyond.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jon-Jon J
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

So, this is a great hotel. The ambiance is essentially perfect for a luxury vacation, or, say, a honeymoon. I stayed in a Diamond Head view room and it was wonderful. There are a couple of things which you should be aware of, particularly if you are here on business.

1) This is not a business hotel. The amenities you expect, pressing, even a coffee maker in the room (!) are missing. Again, if you are here on business, this would probably be a strange choice anyway.

2) The room was crazy expensive for what the size and amenities. The room was around $900 per night. This is not the high season. I expected it to be much larger than it was. It was quite small - well appointed and very well located, but extremely expensive for what it is.

The concierge was awesome and recommendations were perfect. Again, great execution and premium price all around.

Room Tip: The Diamond Head view room was spectacular. The view really makes the entire thing worthwhile.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SFTraveler009
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel is the ONLY place to stay in Hawaii if you value good 5 star accommodation. Recently refurbished, the hotel exudes class in every way. I always enjoyed returning to my hotel after days out touring. The hotel and its position is like a calm oasis that allows you to escape the noise and chaos of Waikiki whilst still being the action. Wonderful service where nothing is a problem, I will be booking my next vacation at Halekulani should I ever visit Hawaii again. Simply stunning.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank mlmgl
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I hadn't been to Honolulu in many years, and was somewhat reluctant to spend precious vacation time to go there, but when the opportunity came up recently, we decided to take the chance. I was really pleased with our decision, and the Halekulani was a big part of that reason. The hotel is not "drop dead" fabulous as you go in, but the quiet elegance and quality become apparent quite shortly.

Our Diamond Head view room was not large for three persons, but it was very high quality, with a very comfortable bathroom. What made it quite bearable, however, was the fabulous balcony and killer view. We were lucky enough to have a balcony that had a high degree of privacy because the hotel jutted out a little further on the right side, which gave us the ability to be out there without anyone really overlooking us. I would definitely inquire as to whether one of these types of rooms was available should I check in again. And I loved sitting out there day or night and watching the passing scene on Waikiki. Our housekeeping service was flawless and prompt, which is another big plus for this hotel.

The restaurants at this property are top notch. I could have been happy eating only at the hotel. The House Without a Key was a great casual venue. We had a good lunch and dinner there, and their drinks are great. Only downside is that the evening entertainment only lasted until 9 p.m., and I would have been happy to sit out there listening to Hawaiian music much later.

The Orchids restaurant is a step up in quality and atmosphere. Such a pleasant patio. Very reminiscent, for us, of some great Asian hotel. Absolutely cannot recommend the breakfast here highly enough. The madacamia nut pancakes with coconut sauce were so good, and didn't drown you in sugar. All the baked goods were super high quality, and the service was wonderful. We were here on an American Express Platinum rate, and could have had the all-you-can-eat breakfast at House WIthout a Key as well, but Orchids was just too wonderful. The building in which Orchids is located is just a lovely venue, with a gorgeous lounge area and La Mer restaurant is located upstairs. We didn't eat there, but it looked beautiful.

I actually loved the whole relaxed and elegant pace at the Halekulani. It definitely insulates you from the masses at Waikiki, and that is welcome! The only other place I would consider staying in this area is the Royal Hawaiian, as that is so unique, but it would be hard to pass up the Halekulani should we return. Definitely a relaxing and wonderful way to reacquaint myself with Honolulu. Now if United hadn't made us 4 hours late on our return, the trip would have been perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family