“SUPERB experience!!”

Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kaneohe, HI
“SUPERB experience!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

For many years I have been enjoying dining and drinking at this hotel. This year I decided on a "mini-vacation" over the Independence Day holiday, and booked an ocean view room.

At first I was a bit disappointed that I didn't have a view of Diamond Head, as the Sheraton Waikiki took up a huge amount of said view, but outside of that our experience was first rate! The room was large, sunny, and with a stunning view except as noted above. The bathroom was simply out of this world! It included a deep soaking tub, a separate shower with one of those huge rain shower heads, and a separate toilet. All the amenities were included in this bathroom, including a walk in closet through which you could walk into the room and from which you could enjoy the view (which unfortunately was completely the Sheraton Waikiki). The bed was extremely comfortable, comparable to any of the "heavenly beds" of other hotel brands. As I said, the room was very large, and you felt completely at ease with all that space. There was a big high-definition TV with loads of channels, phones all over the place (the bathroom, the toilet, by the bed, at the desk, etc.) and you felt that you always had lots of communication. There was free WiFi access, although we ended up not using it, not having brought the computer. There was a spacious lanai outside, where you would have plenty of room to eat, laze, enjoy the view, etc. In short, there was nothing lacking in this room.

Room service was quick and easy, and the servers went out of their way to tell you that service and gratuity were included. We ordered an early morning breakfast to be served at 6:00 a.m., and it was served ON THE DOT! The service ware was elegant and of the best quality.

The same elegance is found in the restaurants at the Halekulani. We ate at Orchids, which is their first-floor dining room, and it's excellent. The food, the service, the ambiance just couldn't be improved upon, except possibly at their La Mer restaurant on the second floor which is their top of the line dining room.

If I were forced to make any criticism, I would say that the walls seemed a bit thin, as we heard the next door neighbors shouting and screaming because of the holiday. Luckily, though, they didn't go on too late, and with the use of an earplug the noise was minimal.

The Halekulani spa is just what you'd imagine an elegant, first class spa to be. I went for a deep tissue massage, and it was given in a beautiful, well equipped room with soft music, lovely fragrances and a very expert masseur. I definitely recommend this place. It made my day and was just perfect. If you go to this facility, I would suggest you request Brian Ikeda as your massage therapist. He did his best to make me feel pampered and well taken care of. Superior in every way!

I know this is not a cheap place to stay, but it's certainly worth it. My highest recommendation!

Room Tip: Splurge and get one of their ocean view or ocean front rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Whitsiepoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have just had our first stay at the heavenly Halekulani hotel. Our teenage boys loved the location and beach aspect while my husband and i loved the green space and interior style.It was an amazing experience from the first day we arrived until the last . After going to Four Seasons at Maui for five nights we returned to the Halekulani and felt like we were at home again. Congratulations to all that work there you have truly created a wonderful space. We will be back again next year for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dominique B
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We came here for our anniversary and this trip topped our honeymoon. The service in the hotel was wonderful. Rooms were clean and well-appointed. This hotel is an oasis in the middle of a busy city. The hotel restaurants and breakfasts were wonderful. Our every need was met. I have no complaints and would be happy to come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cougmonst
Boulder, CO
Reviewed June 29, 2012

There is no getting around it that this place ain't cheap! Spent three nights here after checking out early from the Royal Hawaiian early (small, dark rooms and 3 star-not 5 star service- at 5 star price). It was worth every penny and was definitely the way to end our trip. We loved it so much we paid the half day rate so that we could stay in our room until our red eye left on the last night. The Diamond Head view room was incredible. Quite frankly we didn't want to leave the room. Our first night we had drinks and dinner on our Lanai and listened to the music below and if it weren't for my foodie instincts to get out there and try other restaurants we could have been very happy doing that each night. What a unique room service experience. Better view than any restaurant can provide you on the whole island. If you are looking to take that special trip with your wife/husband and you can stretch your dollars a stay here and at the Kahala will leave you with memories that are hard to beat. We just did that for our 15th wedding anniversary and I am already thinking of doing the same trip again for our 20th!

Room Tip: Diamond Head view room is worth every penny. Best view from a hotel lanai that I have ever experienc...
3 Thank Scott B
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed in one of the diamond head ocean view rooms for a weeklong honeymoon, and we couldnt have been any happier. Upon check in, we were given a personal tour of the grounds by our reception clerk. She pointed out the restaurants, lounge bar, pool and access to the beach. The high point of the tour was when she opened the door of our room and we saw our view. Truly amazing! 180 degree view of the water and diamond head. We spent most nights with the slider door open so we could hear the waves crash as we slept. The rooms are very tastefully, and luxuriously, appointed but without going overboard. They all have a very nice lanai where you can sit and enjoy the view. The staff were all fantastic, and even knew our names after a couple of days. Sitting in the pool area, we were treated to complimentary ice cream bars and ice cold towels every afternoon.

The only issues we had, and they are nitpicky, are the following: Wish we could see the ocean from the pool area, they need a jacuzzi/hot tub, and the furniture layout of the rooms should be reversed so you can enjoy the ocean views from the bed. The grounds are so beautiful, quiet, and peaceful that you really dont feel that you are in Waikiki at all! I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in Waikiki for the nightlife, but still wants a quiet place to stay! If I could afford it, I would live at the Halekulani!

6 Thank brutale04
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Thanks to the recentl renovation, the hotel looks like 5 star again. When I stayed there 2 years ago, I was a bit concerned about the tired look. It would be a shame to lose the 5 star status despite the great food and service. I am glad it came out so beautiful.

Room Tip: Rooms with the view of Diamond Head are highly recommended.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank kck0104
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed for our 25th wedding anniversary. Room had ocean view, good size. Food and service excellent but be.prepared to pay !

2 Thank mrbean69