“Great Italian food at Waikiki”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #259 of 2,511 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Inspired by Italian trattoria cuisine, culture, and conversation, Romano's Macaroni Grill has been proudly serving unforgettable meals that leave a lasting impression to our deserving guests since 1988 - with knowledge, care and Italian charisma infused in everything we do. At Romano's Macaroni Grill, we know that for our guests any night out is a big night out - and it is our responsibility and privilege to treat it as such. That's why we start every meal off right: With a bottle of wine at the center of the table, while you explore our menu of expertly handcrafted rustic dishes and Italian classics. Warm distinctive touches, like our signature honor system wine and bustling open kitchen, create a memorable, sensory experience that you'll remember long after you leave the table.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

There is the huge Ala Moana Shopping Center in Waikiki. Up on the fourth floor is Romano's Macaroni Grill. I know we're in Paradise, but sometimes, when you want really GOOD Italian food that, in my opinion, closely resembles REAL Italian food (one must have gone to Italy and eaten there to understand that 99% of "Italian" food in restaurants in America is NOT the same Italian food of Italy). We dropped in for lunch. The restaurant was cool, shady and quiet...and I like quiet restaurants because I want to be able to speak in a general tone of voice and be heard by my partner. Nowadays, so many restaurants are blaring music you can't even hear yourself think. I like to find restaurants that are quiet, elegant and have ambience conducive to relaxation and this is one of 'em. I ordered the Bibb and Blue salad with shrimp. I had Estancia Pino Gris glass of wine as well. The Bibb lettuce was fresh. The bleu cheese dressing divine. The shrimp grilled and well cooked. The service was excellent and timely. My husband had the chicken parmesan and he scarfed about 70% of it. The portions are large and a carry out is a real possibility. For dessert, we had their Lemon Cake. We had Lemon Cake in downtown Rome, Italy at a lovely trattoria and I died when I ate it -- it was THAT divine. Well, I wondered what Macaroni's would hold up to it. Darned if it wasn't almost as good! I would rate the Lemon Cake in Rome at a 10 and Macaroni's lemon cake at a 9...it truly was to die for. The presentation of the food is top drawer. This is a place for a serious gourmet who insists upon plate presentation, excellent tasting food and an serious and outstanding wine selection. But if you don't have a gourmet pallet and just love Italian food, I really can't find another restaurant in the USA that rivals Italian authenticity like Romano's. Aloha.
Romano’s Macaroni Grill
500 Ala Moana Boulevard #6c
Honolulu, Hawaii

1  Thank Lindsay M

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Some menu items are mediocre. However the eggplant parm was really good. Lasagne not so good. Service was decent. I think if you did a little research on TA you could find better italian

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a birthday dinner for my family. It's pricey but the food tasted great to me and my family.
My kids are pickey eaters but found the macaroni and cheese and pepperoni pizza to their liking. Since it was the a birthday dinner they brought out a slice of chocolate cake which was delicious (on the house cost about 8 bucks). The gelato was expensive for 6 dollars you get 3 scoops of gelato, doesn't sound bad until you see that the scoops are as big as big gumball.

The menu discrepancies explained - my wife bought a dish something like called salad with scallops for about 16 dollars and then it stated with shrimp add 2 dollars. So my wife assumed that it was 18 dollars for the salad with scallops with shrimp, but bill turn out to be 22 dollars because it is supposed to be 2 dollars extra if we get the salad with shrimp in place of scallops.
The waiter acknowledge the mistake, but still charged the difference.

Another discrepancy is that the kids meal states free refills for all drinks, but the waiter later said the refills is only for soda, not milk or juice. luckily, he gave us refills in soda.

The ambience is nice, the wait to get a table was 30 minutes on a Sunday at 5:30pm. They doesn't take reservations before 6:30pm

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Although the menu seemed very Italian, I are with an Italian companion who assured me that the food was average at best. I had a shrimp pasta, ate the shrimp left the pasta as it was tasteless. Warm bread brought to the table on arrival was ok, oil was very poor quality, again rather tasteless. This was American fast food at its most mediocre. Only good thing was the atmosphere was reasonable, music not too loud, plenty of space between tables, booths fairly spacious.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

After shopping 'til we dropped at the wonderful outdoor AlaMoana Mall we finished with a great meal at Macaroni Grill. After a busy afternoon it was so nice to sit at a restaurant and be waited on. Our waiter was attentive and everyone's food was magnifico! The portions are large, so you may want to share. We even had fun being artistic as we drew Hawaiian theme pics and playing tic-tac-toe on the large paper table covers (tables are set with crayons).