“Not a bad choice for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Quebec, Canada
“Not a bad choice for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The location of this hotel is great, and I'd say that if you can get a room there for about $100 or less per night and cannot find anything else in this price range, it is probably a decent choice. The two main drawbacks I experienced are: 1- the poor sound insulation- inside your room, you can hear pretty much everything that is going on outside; and 2- a bathroom that had not been properly cleaned, which to me is one of the cardinal sins that reputable hotels must avoid at all costs. I must admit, however, that based on my experience, noise complaints are dealt with swiftly by hotel staff. Kudos for that! That being said, I would likely not stay here again, unless the price for the night was well under $100.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Wolverine, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

The staff was very helpful. Any questions we had were answered & they were polite! The wiki-wiki (light) breakfast was great. You got diced pineapple, juice, coffee, toast & jelly (a couple mornings we got a croissant too). Parking is valet only. The valets were all helpful & courteous. The rooms have no carpeting which at first is a little strange but not altogether bad. The rooms were spacious & the wifi was great. The shower has a very touchy knob. We had a hard time getting the temperature to stay in one spot. It is in a very nice spot for shopping & the beach. There are plenty of places to eat within a few blocks. There are also a lot of ABC Stores right around the hotel.They are stores that have any of the basics that you would need. Hot tub was at a nice hot temperature which was nice. It was clean & clear & so was the pool! The laundry area was nice also. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel twice & it was a good meal both times. They do need more help in the restaurant because the waitress was also the help at the bar so refills on pop & coffee were neglected.

Room Tip: Do not take room 1201! It does have a double balcony which is nice but if there is any wind at all...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is situated 5mins walk to convenience stores, restaurants and bus stops that takes you to the airport and KCC Farmers Market. A 10mins walk will take you to Waikiki Beach.

The front desk personnel was less than friendly. Wasn't able to check in before 3pm. However, they are able to store your luggage at a secure room behind the front desk. Great hospitality room with computers and free internet access. Breakfast the same everyday, toast with butter and jam, a croissant, canned pineapple, diluted tea/coffee. Nice swimming pool.

Room pro's:
Adequate in size
Balcony
Large fridge
Strong A/C

Room Con's:
not 100% clean (corners and under the bed)
no carpet in room. wooden flooring.
bed are squeaky
Free in-room Wifi!

Overall, a great basic hotel to sleep and shower and to sleep off jet-lag. Great for budget traveler.

Will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I visit Honolulu every six weeks for work. I stay here every time. I found this hotel as it fits my budget...I mean really for $99 a day, 4 blocks away from Waikiki...cant' beat it right? BUT, I am thinking I may look for another place to stay...why? Coffee. I'm not a big coffee drinker but I do like to drink it on occasion and think that it's pretty much a staple in hotels. Apparently not in this one. You get 1, yes ONE, coffee packet thingy for YOUR ENTIRE STAY!!!! You may buy more for $1 per 4 serving packet. It's the principle of the thing...Motel 6 will replenish your coffee, and this hotel is on par with Motel 6...it gives you a clean bed and bathroom.....but little else, including coffee. On my other couple of stays I figured it was just a housekeeper who forgot, but I went down to the front desk and found out that was not the case. The management should be ashamed. Bad hospitality is worth a TERRIBLE rating. Really Management, pay the $0.25 and give us some coffee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TexasRogue

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

South West Rocks, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was out first trip to Hawaii and just needed a place to sleep off the jet lag for one night before our stay in North Shore. This was the cheapest place we could find in Waikiki that seemed reasonably nice. We were extremely disappointed with this hotel. Firstly, we thought we booked a room in the Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel, but our room was in a completely different hotel altogether across the road and it didn't seem very nice.. Talk about shady. The guy at check-in was rude and arrogant as well. The room wasn't very nice and we felt dirty being in it. But we were tired and had no other choice. The only positive thing about this hotel is the location and the girl behind the bar was nice. I'd never stay at this place again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid this place like the plague
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pacey306
Zirl, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed there for a few nights on my current Hawaii-Trip.

Let me say: There's not much bad I can say about this hotel!

I stayed in room 1104 on the 11th floor in the main tower, view towards the canal. Room was very clean and nice. Bathroom was ok too, even had one of those geeky japanese toilets with buttons and all.

Free WiFi was available!

Location was PERFECT, you are in 5min walking distance to Waikiki-Beach and 3 minutes walking distance to Kalakau, the main street in Waikiki! Hotel is directly at the Canal, so NOT in frontline beachside ... but I thinks that's one more advantage, not that much noise and tourists. But as I said: 5min by foot and your right at the Duke statue at the Beach.

ABC-Store (where you can get ANYTHING) is 1 minute away!

The even had a pool, which I didn't use ... because I'm on Hawaii, I use the ocean.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was a little "basic" (you had to choose between 2, 3 or 4 slices of toastbread, a croissant and that was it), additionally you could get yourself free coffee and OJ.

If you're planning to do a budget-trip to Waikiki and wanna be near the center and in walking distance: Choose Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel!

I give it 5 stars because: if I ever will be back in Honolulu, I will choose this hotel again, without ever thinking about it! That, and the perfect location, the free WiFi and the friendly staff makes the perfect rating!

Room Tip: I liked the tower, been on 1104!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo