“If you appreciate Customer Service, STAY AWAY from this Hotel.”

Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I came to Hawaii for the first time in January 2013 and made a terrible mistake by booking 3 nights at the Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel.

From the moment we arrived, I noticed the unprofessional and unkind attitude of some of the front desk clerks. I should had followed the advice given by a gentleman waiting to be served who told me that his experience in the hotel was terrible.

In fairness to the Hotel itself, it is clean, the rooms are good enough and the location is perfect.
But I am telling you, if you are someone who likes to be treated well, this is not for you.

I suffered and incident with one of the Valet Parking clerks named ROBERTO DEL RIO. I lost my valet parking ticket the first night and all I got from him was a bunch of insults and patronising behaviour because of that when I wanted to retrieve my car.

The 2nd night I was coming back walking from dinner with a friend and when requested my car to get some luggage out of it, I was insulted again by MR. DEL RIO who even ask us to check out of the Hotel, insulted us in the middle of the lobby and even call us drunk! (Last time I checked it was not illegal to have a glass of wine while dining).

His behaviour and customer service can only be described as primitive and arrogant. He even said he was the Hotel Manager. Clearly that's why he works in the Valet Parking.

By the way, you have to pay $20 daily extra from your room rate, to have your car mandatory in the Valet Parking as the hotel does not have private parking. On top of that, you get treated like this!

To make things worst, the actual Hotel Manager never responded personally to my complaint.
I requested to speak to him (his name is Sheldon Yoshida) and all he did was leaving messages with the front desk for me to write a letter. Last day he was even at the hotel and said he was going to a meeting.

Once I came back to London, I wrote to the board of Directors and Yoshida replied saying he analysed the situation and he couldn’t find any wrongdoings.

I am not going to bother you with more details. But take it from someone who never writes reviews online!

I had to do it this time!

AVOID THIS HOTEL IF YOU APPRECIATE GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

THERE ARE TONS OF BETTER HOTELS AROUND FOR THE SAME VALUE.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank LuisOCastro
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Let me start by saying that the staff was very friendly and the rooms were in reasonable conditioon. That said, the first night, our room never went below 77 degrees. That was fixed, but the second night, the fire alarms went off at 3 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. We were told they would be fixed. The third night the alarms started at about 10:30 p.m. and went off a total of six times. We spent over an hour in the lobby trying to get info when it would be fixed and finally went back to the room at 1:30 a.m. For all this inconvenience, we were given a grand total of 10% off our bill and were told that the manager would contact us. It's been more that a week and we have yet to hear from them. We were so sleep deprived by the time we left, we never wanted to see this motel again!

3  Thank Candace C
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Recently spent two weeks at this hotel in the suites above the pool area. The suites have two double beds, a small kitchen area and a pull out couch. The room was not very clean. I spent some time wiping down spills on the wall around the kitchen area and scrubbing the grout around the kitchen counter and bathroom counter. Very dirty. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable and the sheets don't fit so you wake up each morning with the sheets off the bed. The couch was very dirty with stains all over it so I requested a blanket to cover it before I would sit on it. The shower head was terrible and it was difficult to get a good shower. They have a bar that is open until 4am in the morning and several nights there were loud groups yelling and partying right till 4am. Did not have a good night sleep the entire vacation even with earplugs. There is a complimentary breakfast which was a joke. Cold dry toast, coissant, watered down pineapple juice and coffee. Tried once and that was it. Terrible! Hotel has a restaurant that actually served great food but the waitresses at times were very rude and service was not great but for the price would eat there again. Pool area is very nice, lots of tables, chairs and lounges. Also very nice hot tub. Overall service was good. Staff are helpful and very nice. Hotel is just old and tired and management needs to improve the breakfast, close the bar earlier, replace the old beds and linens, and improve quality control on cleaning service. Still would prefer to spend a bit more and get a nicer room.

Room Tip: If you want a small kitchen then the suites facing the pool are the best choice. Be sure to ask for...
1  Thank john s
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I traded this hotel for Hyatt Regency to save some bucks, but it turned out to be a not so good decision. The hotel is located almost centrally to anything in Waikiki. It is a few blocks away from the beach, restaurants, Waikiki Tram stop and shopping malls. The location is great but the hotel itself needs some upgrading. The hallway carpet looks dirty, the bathroom has that ammoniacal/urine smell even though it was just cleaned. The toilet seat has bidet which is very popular in Japan. The room is clean but needs new painting. The bed is comfy and the linens are clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. The business center (Hospitality suite) has 7 computers ( I've never seen these much in a business center!) and a pay-per-print printer. Should you need a microwave oven, you need to go down to the housekeeping lounge and use the microwave oven there. I was hoping they would have one at least in the lobby. There is free continental breakfast consisting of toasts, butter and jam and canned! pineapple tidbits. They have a swimming pool and a mini spa/whirlpool at the back. If you're looking for a place just to sleep, this is a good enough place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Kanekapolei St. to have a nice view of the golf course but away from the Al...
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We paid about 350 dollars for a two night stay on the 1st January on a standard room with breakfast. For this money we checked in to a tiny worn out room , thanking god we only booked two nights there from a total of 14... Breakfast is served until maximum 09.00, well here is the good part! They offer a tray with a couple of toasted pieces of bread, jam and a small glass of pineapple juice! There was supposed to be a small croissant also , but do not ask after 08.00... Yes, this is the breakfast served... A " light " breakfast as the receptionist described it ! Prison breakfast i would call it ! Then if you ask tp pay for an omellette or something decent to eat, they make you wait until after 9.30 when the snack bar opens to give your order... There also seems a lack of tables and chairs , as there are only a couple of tables available so. you will probably end up holding your precious tray with " delicacies" waiting for somebody to get up and be seated. By then of course the bread is cold and not eatable, so frustrated you go out in search of a decent place serving breakfast... My God what a waste of money that choice of a hotel was.....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank anna_maraki
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is well located near to Waikiki downtown. The hotel is nice and comfortable. I send there 6 night with my wife for our honeymoon and we spend some great time. The attention by the hotel staff is very kind. The breakfast is very good. The hotel have pool but we didn't used it because we prefer the beach. The bar is nice and have good meal choices and drinks too. Th e bedroom are ok and clean (most important thing!)The only thing is the the decoration is not too much modern but that doesn't matter if you only use to sleep, breakfast and get a shower. It's a very recommendable place. The parking fee is expensive in a city where is very difficult to park your car in the street, that is the only con that the hotel have.

Room Tip: Upper floors are more quiet to the street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kubanoba
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I travelled on my own and enjoyed staying at this hotel - especially the friendliness of the staff - everyone was friendly and helpful from the housekeeping staff to the front desk, tour desk (I didn't want a tour but to organize a shuttle back to the airport) and the valet. It was so easy to organize getting back to the airport - no need for me to ring and try and book a pickup - that was done for me. I loved the atmosphere at the restaurant and bar - I usually would not sit and have a drink on my own but the scene was friendly and bar open looking out onto the street, that I did, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Again staff super friendly - prices good.
The rooms were spacious and clean, with a good view (I had a corner room). The bed was very comfortable.
The price is very good and at least there is some breakfast (toast, fruit, juice, tea/coffee - which is all I needed) to start the day off on, and free.
Good comfortable friendly value for money.
Yes there may be noise, but I have stayed at other hotels and there still is traffic noise) but that is Waikiki.
I would stay here again if I visited.

Room Tip: corner room has a great view and sunny - if breezy one side you can go around to the other
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo