“Good location Great price.”

Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location Great price.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great price for Honalulu. Rooms were small but clean and had a balcony. Employees were friendly and very helpful. There is no hair conditioner or body lotion provided so you need to bring your own. Valet parking is available for a small fee.I did really enjoy my stay here and will be back again on my next visit to Honalulu.If you want a nice Hotel in a good location and for a reasonable price, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 35805Margaret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Waikiki is such a bustling place, so it was nice for the hubby and I to come back to a quiet, relaxing part of town just a few blocks away from the crowds. We stayed at the Sand Villa for 7 days, which included free internet and a small continental breakfast, which consisted of: 1 croissant, 2-4 pieces of toast, canned Dole pineapple, pineapple juice, and coffee or tea. For the price well under $100/nt, we had a clean room, AC, a bidet, and friendly service. While we were there in late-July to early-August, they painted and repainted the elevators at least 3 times, so usually only one of them worked. Their happy hour was pretty popular, with friendly servers & bartenders, and we even met some of the locals who stopped by every few days to shmooze and drink. We rented some bicycles for a few days, and the front desk told us we could keep the bikes on our lanai upstairs to be safe, which was a pleasant surprise for us. We did our laundry once during the stay ($2 wash, $1.50 dry), printed our boarding passes downstairs ($0.10/copy), and utilized their free pool towel service many times.

Overall, I was happy with our experience. It's not a luxury hotel, but it was a good location, friendly service, and a great deal.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view, but usually cost more.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank liljudy23
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great value for Waikiki, and centrally located to the beach, Diamond Head, stores, and Ala Wai Canal. They have a wiki wiki breakfast, which is pretty plain, but still free. Their hotel bar had friendly bartenders, and their food wasn't too bad. They also have a pool and hot tub to relax in after a long day at the beach or sight seeing. If you're on a budget, and looking for a clean quiet place to stay, than this place is for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ofes32
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

During my stay I paid just over a $90- a night, the rooms are neat, tidy, air conditioned and mine had a great corner balcony. The foyer area was good and staff were available to help with bookings. The bar had a nice menue and a light breakfast was included in the nightly rate. Free internet with use of a photocopier for a minimal fee as well as a laundary was available to wash your clothes. Under building parking available for under $20- a night.
The hallways are in need of new carpet and a coat of paint though.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, best value !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AAustralia s
Silver Spring
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed at the Sand Villa for one week. We were on the tenth floor with a canal view. The beach was within walking distance: 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the lights at the crosswalks. (Don't jaywalk in Waikiki; if you're caught, it's like a $150 fine.)

The staff was friendly, and everything was clean. The breakfast, as everyone on Tripadvisor mentions, was minimal, but since we knew that going into it, that wasn't a big deal. The beds in our room were definitely harder than we're used to, but not too hard to sleep. The pillows were very, very flat. I have some neck problems, so that was a bit of an issue for me. In the interest of fairness to the hotel, I did not ask the hotel if they had any better pillows. I had read a few reviews saying asking for that sort of thing was fruitless, so I didn't bother.

We had free wifi and had no trouble with connectivity. The valet parking was quick and professional.

Most nights were fairly quiet as far as street noise. A few times we were awoken by sirens or by noise from the bar downstairs. Generally, it wasn't much of an issue.

Because of the value, I would probably stay here again, but I would bring my Tempurpedic pillow.

Room Tip: This hotel does offer smoking rooms on the lower floors. If that bothers you, go for a higher room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Timanda W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at the Sand Villa on 2 occasions during a recent trip. The staff were awesome, helpful, accommodating and treated me like family. If you want a friendly hotel, in a great location, value for money, safe, clean, bar open till 4am, good food, then I recommended the Sand Villa.
I never went down for breakfast (I don't get up for breakfast @ any hotel-I'm on holidays), but ate lunch and dinner at the restaurant numerous times. The staff at the bar were all friendly and provided great service and every item I ate from the menu was well cooked and of great quality.
As a single female traveller I felt safe at this hotel and walked the streets at the early hours.
All the rooms I stayed in were clean and provided all the facilities I required. Great value and I will be staying at the Sand Villa on every return trip to Oahu. The valet parking took the headache out of looking for parking and the valet staff promptly retrieved my car. Recommend this hotel to anyone for a truly ALOHA experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Wendy D
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place is good value for money if you are on a budget but want to be central. Close to the beach and close to lots of shopping and food options. Also very close to bus stops which was very good. Rooms were okay. Clean and tidy. Just the asbestos ceilings that weren't very nice and the sound proofing was a bit lacking. Also the message light on our phone didn't work so we didn't know when our sailing trip had been cancelled and still got up at 5am. Overall though it is a good value option for the location. We didn't really eat the breakfast because it was just toast, we got cereal and milk from a near by Food Pantry instead.

Room Tip: We were high up so had a resonable view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple