“Good value hotel - shame about the area..”

Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Good value hotel - shame about the area..”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is located near the strip of lake, if you get the corner room (like us on the first night) – then you will have real good view from the hotel room. The room itself a standard hotel room – clean, comfortable with usual necessity. It is about 5 mins walk to the shopping area and 10-15 mins walk to Waikiki beach. The one I like the most about this hotel is that it provides beach towel – so we just grab the towels from the laundry place and no need to worry about having no towel for showering at night after a day at the beach since we used the towel from the hotel’s bathroom! Staffs are hit and miss, some staffs are very friendly to us – but some are quite rude as well. So, depend on your luck really.. The “free“ breakfast was rubbish though. At the end we never used our coupons for breakfast – we just ate breakfast out….

And... the area itself quite dodgy. Every time we passed the apartment next to the hotel on our way to the shops, EVERYDAY we smell weed. Plus my partner actually saw a girl sitting outside casually rolling one. Another 2 blocks from the hotel (where the shops/supermarkets are) there are A LOT of prostitutes on the street. My friends got asked couple of times on different nights whether he's "free to play". Mind you, we walked around the area every day for a week – and it was all good, no troubles or anything.. I think it will be ok if you are staying as young couples/with friends, but I wouldn’t recommend this hotel if you are travelling as family. Nothing against the hotel, just area little bit dodge..

Room Tip: Get the room in the corner, it's bigger and better view...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Christie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Had a great time here. Im 19 and I went with my 22 year old bestie.
The staff were friendly and accomodating, the rooms were clean and the food from the bar was brilliant.- The burger being the best

The pool was clean and not to busy.

Am booking to go back again =]

Room Tip: Get a room from 8th floor up- Great views of the mountains and canal
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maegan93
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our stay was for 6 nights I am a 27 year old taking me and my girl to Hawaii (for perspective). I can honestly say I really like Waikiki Sand Villa. I was looking for a cheap trip for (2) to Waikiki and this hotel kept coming up. I kept reading the negative reviews and was concerned but went for it. There are a couple hotels for cheaper right on the beach but you don't get an ocean view for that price. There is absolutely nothing to say negatively about the hotel other than possible noise from outside traffic. Just ask for a room higher in the hotel. The hotel is within a 5 minute walk to the beach. On that walk you pass the two main streets for restaurants and stores. You are right next to everything. The rooms were OK. I don't really like tile floors and the room was pretty plain with no frills. Nice corner balcony with views of the Canal and city. The Bar downstairs has a good happy hour (try a firestone) as well as decent food. If you are trying to go to Hawaii on a budget this is a great choice of hotel. You will not want to hang out at the hotel anyway there is tons of stuff to do.. Go to Hanauma Bay and do a Circle Island tour (Enoa tours)

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors to avoid noise from any traffic.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Johnny H
The Woodlands, Tx
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed here for 3 weeks in Aug. 2011 and loved it. To see the negative reviews saddens me and I must see for myself if things have changed since our stay. Nancy was super to us, as was the rest of the staff...very accomodating! The rooms were always being cleaned, ours was very clean, even our balcony was cleaned daily!!! We were very pleased for the price we paid!!!! We don't require a 5 star hotel, for 3 weeks in Waikiki this was fantastic! I absolutely LOVED the bar area downstairs!!!! Great food and drinks and affordable!!! We shared a huge omelet every morning....for $7!!!! The bar staff was awesome...Tammy always greeted us with a huge smile and wonderful service!!! We got to know them all!! Then a short walk to the beach...heaven!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovethebeach52
Fremont, California
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Checking In
-----------------
A guy at the front desk made us wait because our room wasn't ready although we arrived there around 2:20pm, but when we finally checked in, someone did a lousy job cleaning the room. Our feet were literally dirty after 5 minutes of walking around in the room unpacking. Also, we requested king sized bed, but instead we got 2 double beds because they couldn't make accommodation for us.

BED BUGS
-------------------

My girlfriend and I suffered bites from bed bugs because of the room uncleanliness. My girlfriend got bitten all over her left leg and I was bitten on my chest and thigh. She was really upset so she went down to make a compliant, they moved us up to the higher floor, same type of room. I did not want to take a chance with this hotel so I decided to check out and stay elsewhere. I booked and paid for my our stay at this hotel till Sat 5/5/12, but I DID NOT want to take a chance sleeping in the room full of bed bugs. We check out 3 days earlier, and the hotel manager didn't seem concerned at all when we told her that we got bit. She thought we were lying and told me that they were going to investigate. I requested them to waived the parking fees total of $60 and she said she was unable to do so. I was so furious at them for NOT taking care of their customers. We ended up staying at Modern Honolulu Hotel where my girlfriend and I were treated with utmost respect and valued customers. Thank you Modern Honolulu for saving what's left of our first time vacation at Hawaii.

Room Tip: I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone because my girlfriend and I went through a horrible time...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Brian C

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

canada
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed for 12 days in February--we booked the lowest priced room online,($89--floor 1-5) and got a "premium" room on an upper floor (11th). We were travelling with an infant and 4 year old, so things were a little cramped with a playpen, strollers, etc. We saw a sign at the front desk to upgrade to a suite for $30 extra a night, which we were able to get into after the 4th night. I believe it is the same price as you would pay online. The first room was much cleaner, but the extra space in the suite was nice. As there was a kitchenette, there were some food stains, etc. on the walls and just not as clean as you would like it to be. All of the suites overlook the pool. We were on the third floor (there are only three floors in that building), but there is no elevator for the suites--we left our stroller at the bottom of the stairs out of the way when we had to be upstairs, and it worked very well. Because we booked online we also got free shuttle service to and from the airport, which was great, although we had to pay for the third person ($10 I think). All in all, it was alright. My 4 year old LOVED the pool, although it wasn't heated and he could only stand at the one end by the stairs. The pool area was great--very clean. We only had breakfast once at the hotel, we had read the reviews before, and knew we weren't missing out on anything, but normally we just have toast for breakfast anyhow, so not a major deal. There is an AWESOME noodle house a block or so away--can't remember the name, but for $5.00 you can have a great meal--there is always a line, but it moves very quickly. We ate there three times in three days. Overall, the hotel is a fine deal, but would have liked the cleaners to do a bit better job in the rooms--especially places like walls, etc. Great location. If you aren't a super picky clean-freak person and you like a good deal, it could be for you.

Room Tip: It seems most of the rooms are exactly the same, regardless of floor. Just depends if you want a hi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank flippy2
Jerusalem
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great place!
The 2 main advantages:
-After you check-out, you can still come back and take a shower before going to the airport.
-The desk-staff is VERY friendly and helpful
One thing to improve:
They give a free coffee-bag (for the cofee-machine in the room), just on the day of arrival

Room Tip: The rooms are priced according to floor-level and view, so what you you get is what you paid for
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business