“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed here for 1.5 weeks in July, 2014 and was massively impressed. It was significantly cheaper than any other hotel I could find in the area and it's location was better. It takes about 2 mins to walk to Waikiki Beach, it's less than a 5mins walk to multiple bus stops and many of the island or experience tours leave from just around the corner. (If you are using a Go O'ahu card, this hotel is in the ideal location) I never had to walk more than 500m for any activity pickup.

My room was old but it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I definitely didn't see any of the bugs some reviews mention. It had more than everything I needed and I was in their "very small room, no kitchenette". This still included an en suite, bedside table, wardrobe, several drawers for storage, a mini fridge, a microwave, a TV, toaster, coffee maker, alarm clock, plenty of power outlets (in good locations) and free wifi. The only thing not in the room was a phone but it was clearly explained that the one downstairs could be used and given that I had a mobile phone anyway it didn't concern me. The hotel also had washing facilities ($3.50 does a wash and dry and they sell soap powder for $1.00). I did a huge load with no problems. There is also a safe in the office which can be used. I was a little nervous to stay alone but the area felt safe, there were lots of great street performers nearby and the security of the hotel meant I wasn't at all ever worried about my safety.

Some of the reviews complain about the noise but other than a few sirens during the night or an occasional loud guest at the restaurant across the road, I didn't find there to be any significant noise issues. Keeping in mind that you're in Waikiki, some noise is to be expected! It definitely didn't hinder sleep at all.

All staff encountered went above and beyond as far as customer service goes. Borrowing beach towels or beach equipment downstairs (for free!) was convenient and never too much trouble. The manager is on site and guests are given contact information for him upon arrival. They were more than happy to hold my bags when I arrived early and also held them after I'd checked out, for the remainder of my day until airport pick up. After meeting lots of people staying in much more expensive places, I'm extremely happy with my choice, especially given a number of them were needing to catch a bus to get to anywhere.

I have already started recommending this hotel to friends and family.

Mahalo Waikiki Prince!

Room Tip: I stayed in 506 and you could glimpse the water of Waikiki beach from the balcony. The elevator only...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank 3arual_laura3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Waikiki Prince Hotel on our first arrival to Waikiki and subsequently when we came back from Big Island. Chardonnay the reception staff was very helpful and friendly. She is always cheerful and went above and beyond her duties to help us find out info we needed. Mahalo Chardonnay.
The rooms were clean and have everything we needed. Wifi worked perfectly in both rooms we stayed in. It's 2 mins away from the beach and nearby little eateries. Very convenient to everything. It's not a luxury hotel but definitely value for money. Will recommend this place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alleycat789
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I generally have some very basic qualifiers for any hotel; it should be clean, comfortable, convenient and have a staff that seems to care to some degree about its customers. Coming from an area with a lot of high end luxury resorts, there is always the danger of using these as the litmus test. Its not always a fair comparison, especially when you are trying to save a few bucks and balance budget with an enjoyable stay. The Waikiki Prince worked out great in this regard. It is one of those properties where you need to forget the first impression, and instead, scrutinize everything around you. Our room had a full size bed and a twin size bed for our son. The walls in the room looked like they had fairly fresh paint. It had a kitchenette with a medium sized fridge, stove/oven, microwave and plates/silverware. No sign of bed bugs anywhere. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. One real high point was the very friendly and accommodating staff. There was no doubt that they had that spirit of service that you would hope for everywhere you stay. From the resident manager to all the folks in the front office, they were helpful and friendly and willing to make sure we were taken care of. From providing directions to giving suggestions to save on souvenirs to providing beach towels, beach chairs and even helping with online check-in for our flight out, every interaction was positive. Does this property offer a beautiful view of the ocean or a pool or an impressive lobby; no. But, what it does offer is a very short walk to Waikiki beach, a very reasonable rate, friendly staff, a clean room, Wi-Fi, security measures and cool air conditioning. If you are ready to visit Hawaii and deal with credit card bills for a long time, then go for the very expensive luxury properties that can be found in the Honolulu area. If you plan to stay in a clean place to sleep, maybe a place to prepare a few meals and save money and someplace convenient to the beach, then this hotel will work for you. I would return. If they will put a hook on the back of the bathroom door, I would be completely pleased, but as it stands, the people who work there and the location and clean room are enough.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking a rental lot. I would choose a floor, if available, that is a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank TheWriter2014
Macedon, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

After booking this hotel, we advised them that our flight would not arrive until later in the evening, so we would require a late check-in. We arrived approximately 8:25 pm to find the door locked and a sign saying that office hours were 8 am to 8 pm. Another sign listed our name as a late check-in, and instructed us to ring the intercom or the cell phone number that was provided. We repeatedly tried the intercom and the cell number, but could not get any answer.

At 9 pm, we gave up and were lucky enough to get another room at a nearby hotel for that night. We left another message on the cell number provided by the Waikiki Prince telling them that we had to go to another hotel. At least it appears that the Waikiki Prince did not charge our credit card after failing to let us in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Colleen017
waikikiprincehotel, General Manager at Waikiki Prince, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Aloha Colleen017,
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Our intercom system generally works well, calling several different numbers to different people. The cell phone backup also should have worked just in case the intercom did not work. It would really help if you could send me your date of check in and your real name. I will check the cameras and call records to see what went wrong. You can respond to me directly at waikikiprincehotelgm@gmail.com
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short visit to Honolulu! They were very accommodating extending our check out time a few hours so we could enjoy the beach! Thanks Chardonnay!! She even went out of her way to verify our shuttle to the pier! Clean, safe budget hotel with a great location to Waikiki Beach!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Vernnie
Aloha Vernnie,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will let Chardonnay know she did a great job. Some shuttle companies don't know where we are, or don't think people know where they want to go. We are happy to have assist you on your way to your next adventure.
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The location was excellent, next to the Waikiki Beach, bus stops, shops, restaurants etc. The rooms were clean and the area is very safe. Ours was a twin room, the second bed was not confortable. There was also a small kitchen.
The wifi was not working at all and this is an issue for me. The staff was very helpful but they could not do much.
Compared to other properties in the area, this hotel is quite cheap. If you want more services (better view, better room interior, reliable internet) look for something else.

Room Tip: Avoid the last flour.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank e m
Aloha Dawgette ,
Thank you for your review. We were trying to upgrade the system during your stay. The new system did not work to expectation and we went back to our old system. The previous system was working for the past 7 months without much problems. I will look into the bed issue. We changed out the majority of our beds in the past 6 months. The other beds are roughly 2-3 years old.
Mahalo,
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

When we first walked into our room, I thought, "Oh, no!" It was very dated and small. However, we decided to give it a chance. I'm glad we did because we had a great stay. It was very clean and there were no bugs any where. The room had AC, microwave, stove, sink, and a good size "small" refrig. The bathroom only had 1 sink and a small (but not too small) shower (no tub, but I didn't care). Free WiFi in the room. The area the hotel was in was perfect. It was a very safe and well lit area. We were very comfortable walking around. A key card had to be used to get on the elevator from the ground floor and the elevator was in sight of the front desk. The hotel was 2 short blocks from Waikiki Beach (beach chairs, noodles, boogie boards and beach towels were in the lobby) and 1/2 block from a shopping area with restaurants. Every other day that area had several veggie/fruit stands that sold fresh items. We bought fruit there frequently and with our room refrig, we had fruit every day. If you stay more than 5 days, housekeeping will clean the room. We found that she actually came about every 3 days. There was also a laundry area outside the parking area. There were only 5 parking spots, but by reserving one when we made our reservations, we were never without a spot. Every member of the staff couldn't have been friendlier. We were always greeted with a smile and a wave. Any questions or small issues were dealt with quickly and with a smile. When you needed to print your Boarding Pass, it could be done from the front office. If you want budget and don't mind small and dated, this is a great place to stay. We were very happy there.

Room Tip: The area isn't too noisy, but the higher up (there are 6 floors....the 6th you take the elevator...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
5 Thank Dawgette
Aloha Dawgette,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Yes our hotel is quite dated. We are slowly getting up to speed on upgrading our hotel. Major projects that you noticed like free high speed wifi and the key card system were done in the past year. We are working on upgrading the cable on the tv before we get new tvs. Hopefully we get it done before the end of the year. Furniture is not a priority right now so our rooms will probably still look dated if you decide to visit us in the next year.
The farmers market is great. I like the spring rolls and whatever fruit is in season. Our hotel doesn’t provide breakfast because we cannot anticipate everyone’s taste or lack of taste for breakfast. We pass the savings onto our customer with our low rates and lack of “amenity or resort fees”. Use that extra money to buy some fruit or go on a tour.