“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Melbourne, Australia
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have just returned from ten nights at the Waikiki Prince and we would be recommending this place to all our family and friends in Melbourne for all the right reasons. From the first step in our hotel room we were very pleased, especially for the price we were paying. The beds were comfy the tv was a good size lanai was a good place to chill after a busy day - shower was a good size and so much storage space for our little family (two children husband and I) also the bar size fridge and cooking utensils plates cups cutlery etc. I found the staff very helpful asking if everything was okay and suggesting activities for us and even following up a late shuttle pick up for up to the outlets. Our room was serviced on the 4th day however on the 8th day my daughter was unwell I asked if she could return anouther time. That same day I asked the guy at reception (I have forgotten his name) if someone could come and service our room and he said that as the room service attendants were gone for the day he will organise it for the next morning. Our room was serviced the next day as promised and you could change your towels at reception. Wifi was also really good in our room which let us keep in contact with family back home. My family thoroughly enjoyed our time at Waikiki Prince and this will be my only place I will be staying at when returning back to this beautiful island. Also a note to book a carspace at the Waikiki Prince well in advance as if there is no spaces available there is a public carspace at Pacific Monarch ($20 for 24 hours) across the road however you are unable to go and come as you please as you will not be guaranteed your spot. We planned a late night trip to Walmart so it we would miss the crowds and we were told by the Pacific Monarch staff we couldnt take our rental car out because we wouldnt be guaranteed a carspot on our return although we paid the $20 fee. Thanks Ashley and staff at Waikiki Prince

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jewelztts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed for 10 nights in Waikiki Prince.
Pros:
The location is very good, close to waikiki beach.
Cons:
1) Size of the room. On the website they indicated difference between economy/standard but in reality the standard room we booked was the same size as economy. On photos the size of the room allows to put 2 beds. It was no way of putting 2 beds in our small standard room. They explaned that the difference is the kitchennete unit they are coming with (economy - 2 burner / standard - 4 burner). I assume if they put 6 burner they will call it premium or luxe.
2) Room service. We checked in on Friday and the first room service was done on thursday (6 days after). When I checked with the reception on Thu they said that in the system the room was done on Wed which was not true. Again 5 days later no room service is done, stuff says that it will be done tomorrow. I am attaching a photo showing how good the room service is.
3) Noise. Air conditioning / ventilation unit at ABS store next door creates constant noise. but from about 7.30am-4-5pm car rental place start their generator (they dont have a source of power) and its extremely loud so you wont be able to relax and enjoy you stay, i am not talking about sleeping, its impossible.
4) Appliances. The hairdryer was broken. Advised stuff, no action. The coffee machine was leaking.
5) Customer service. In general very poor, they only exception is returning customers who come to the hotel every year, but all others - dont expect much. No attention to details, we clearly stated that its 2 adults staying in the room, the second key was not provided. My wife was not able to get in the room while I was away and had the key with me. Both front desk ladies were not cooperative/helpful at all (maybe after 2 room service reminders that we had to do).
If you are a first time visitor I do not recommend this place considering all above. Its better to pay a bit more and come home rested not tired of constant noise and poor service.

Thank you all, enjoy your stay in Honolulu !

Room Tip: Always ask for 2 bed configuration. This way you well get a proper room. Dont pay extra for standard...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Andrey C
Jason J, General Manager at Waikiki Central Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
The Waikiki Prince Hotel is a small hotel for budget minded travelers. We pride ourselves in making our guests and their families feel welcomed showing our Aloha Spirit and love for our island home. We do our best to provide guests with a happy and safe stay when vacationing in Hawaii.

We apologize for the miscommunication on the part of our house keeping staff.

The Standard Room with Kitchenette is larger than the Economy and does come with a stove and four burners. It does show on our website that the Standard room has 3 different types of beds. A room with 2 Double Beds, 1 Double and 1 Twin bed, and 1 Double bed. Higher floors have less space and therefore less beds can fit.

After reviewing the surveillance cameras and talking with my staff; I did see that your wife came into our office. She asked the front desk for a key. Our front office worker explained that she is not on the registration. It is our hotel policy to only give the registered guest and/or the people authorized by the registered guest a key. She did not possess any identification for herself. On check in, upon request two keys can be provided. We tried calling the mobile number given to us but no one answered. We told her there is no way of confirming your identity or your relationship with the registered guest and welcomed her to wait in the lobby. She proceeded to cause multiple commotions and upset other guests. We had management oversee the situation. They made the decision to refund the remaining balance and ask you to leave.
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Read with this in mind: The rating is for this property against other similar properties. This is a budget hotel, not the Four Seasons so if you're trying to compare it with that, you're going to misunderstand my rating as well as others and think this place is a dump. But if you compare it with other similar hotels, this place is a winnah!

The location can't be beat! it's less than 2 blocks to the beach. A 7 minute walk at the most if you're super slow or too drunk. They let you borrow bodyboards, beach mats, and beach towels for free! There isn't an iron in the room but we requested one and it was available. Parking does cost extra and there are only 5 spaces in a reeeeeallllly tight weird parking space area. If you spread your fingers out in front of you, your fingers will be where the parking spaces are and you hand is the driveway.

The room is basic and kind of old. Almost reminds me of Motel 6. The shower curtains are opaque cheap plastic. They do have rooms with kitchenettes with stove and items such as a rice cooker, pots, pans, dishware and utensils so it's great for saving money on eating out. They have mini fridges in the room. The bed is kind of springy and worn.

But hey, for about $60-70 bucks a night, this is a great deal especially for those who just want a place to crash that's safe and close to everything.

Rooms also have lanais which are great for sipping cocktails and people watching or just enjoying the warm air. In some rooms, especially the corner rooms, you can see a partial ocean view from your lanai. C'mon for $60 bucks, you're getting practically the same view as some of the overpriced rooms at the Hyatt next door!

If you're on your honeymoon or a romantic getaway, I'd probably spring for something nicer. If you're on a budget vacation then this place is great! To check if you'd be ok staying here, ask yourself if you're ok with staying at a Motel 6 for your trip. If you're fine with that, then you'll have no problems with this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the street to get a partial ocean view. They're the same price as o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank csamcharlie
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a great 3 night stay here. I came to do some hiking & just needed a bed & shower & refused to pay $250+ for stuff I didnt need/wouldnt utilize. Out-dated yes, but my room was very clean & comfy. There were no stains on the towels or sheets. I was a little worried the bed would be old saggy but it wasnt. It was a good, firm bed. The only sketchy thing was the shower head but I was so grimy & gross every shower was the best shower ever. Water got good & hot & had solid water pressure. Ocean view from patio. Its one block away from the beach, they have FREE towels, chairs, boogie boards, umbrellas, rafts. The mini fridge kept my beers nice & cold. There was a mini coffee pot, rice cooker, toaster over, stove/oven, pots/pans, utensils & wine opener. Yes the motorcycle/car rental place was loud as sin. I was out the door before they opened but I did catch some of it around 10am. The vacuum/generator is very loud but I closed the windows & turned on ac & felt like I couldve taken a nap. I was on the 6th floor so I'm sure that was in my favor. They only have 9 parking spots but there is a parking garage across the street, I paid $20 for 24hrs. Everybody at the front desk were so nice & friendly. I was traveling solo & felt safe here. If you're looking for a bare bones, no frills, budget friendly place, this is it. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Request a 6th floor room for less noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Samara R
Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our one week stay at this hotel was exceptional. Our late arrival was handled in a very professional and efficient manner. The accommodations we had were satisfactory for the price we paid. The friendly disposition of the staff was much more than our expectations. Several guests we met were regulars and the staff knew them all by name. No request we made was ignored, and there seemed to be a genuine concern that we were satisfied with our stay. The hotels close proximity to the beach and shopping areas/restaurants is the best reason for staying here. The walk to Waikiki Beach was less than 5 minutes. When I return to Honolulu, I will certainly consider this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank TeacherDavid
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Good price very close to the beach, nice clean rooms, friendly staff as well as free beach towel rental which was brilliant.
Stayed in a twin room with huge twin beds which were almost the size of doubles. The room was more like a bedsit as there was a fully stocked kitchen with toaster, fridge, cooker and a little portable oven and plates and everything you need to make a meal along with a table to sit and eat at. Room came with air con at no extra cost, although it was a little noisy outside sometimes as our balcony overlooked a car rental place where you would sometimes hear bikes and hoovering but only during the day.
The hotel it's self is well located in the centre of Waikiki with beach on one side and Kuhio avenue on the other where lots of shops and restaurants are including some supermarkets for shopping where you can buy food for cooking in your room. It's right next to a hostel in a side street so it's not on a busy main street and there s a bar across the road aswell as surf rental.
The hotel also has a lift which is good for luggage, it is a small hotel only 4 floors and behind a larger hotel which obscures the beach view quiet a bit but it's nice and not part of any huge chain. I would recommend this place because of the price, cleanliness and the friendly staff, me and my friend really enjoyed our stay there and is perfect for the budget concious traveller especially as Waikiki is quite expensive so save your money for the touristy stuff if your not too bothered about a huge sea view and being in a high rise hotel which personally make me ill I don't like being in high buildings.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Fizzpop66
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Only stayed here one night to rest before heading off to check out the rest of Oahu. Check-in and parking was all very easy, as was finding the hotel from the airport. The room is a little out-dated and we found it weird that there was a coffee pot with filters but no coffee or sugar...

Its really close to the beach and a great Mexican bar which claims to make the best margaritas in town (they are pretty good!). Street is a little noisy but we were tired from flying so didn't effect us at all. If you're a light sleeper use ear plugs. Perfect location and even better value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple