“Cheap. Clean. Convenient location.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Waikiki Central Hotel
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 7, 2011

If you're gonna be out enjoying Honolulu/Oahu all day and basically want somewhere cheap just to sleep then Waikiki Prince is perfect.

I stayed here for a week. $450 (inc. taxes) for 7 nights. It is a small hotel with 24 rooms which I think is good. Less or no noise from other guests, no waiting @ reception and for elevator. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was basic. Basic but clean. That's all I needed! Bathroom & shower were fine, as well as the kitchenette. TV, fridge, and Air Con were in good working order. The rooms are cleaned on the 4th or 5th day of your stay.

Past reviews mentioned the garbage trucks that drive by in the morning. It wasn't bad from my because it was facing away from the garbage pick up area. It's a good alarm though - Get up, get out and enjoy Hawai'i!

LOCATION = EXCELLENT.
Waikiki Beach is LITERALLY 30 seconds away! Waikiki Beach @ sunrise is such a peaceful and tranquil place before the (people) storm. Bars,restaurants, take aways, convenient stores, and everything else are about 5-10 minute walks. There is an ABC store around the corner. There's also a Korean BBQ place across the road, big servings, I could only finish half. Bus stops are about about 2mins away on Kuhio avenue.

The only downer for me was the slightly noisy Air Con. At night if you open up your windows it cools the room enough.

Other than that I was very happy staying at the Waikiki Prince this hotel. With the money I saved staying here, I spent more on shopping. Next time I visit Honolulu I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank wehavetogoback
There are newer reviews for Waikiki Central Hotel

Reviewed April 5, 2011

At first I was disappointed but it grew on me. I had thought the room would be a bit bigger but it worked out nonetheless. Our room had a kitchen and 2 beds which we had requested. Just to warn you, this is not a 5 star luxury place, it's discount for families like us who basically use a hotel room to wash up and sleep, and do activities all day outside the hotel. If you're looking for a hotel to provide you with paradise, then you'll probably not want to choose this hotel.

Now what is great about this place : LOCATION! is right across the beach 2 blocks away. That is SO CONVENIENT when traveling with young children. My wife went surfing every morning at 6am and when we were done w/ our kids at Waikiki Beach, we didnt need to spend a lot of time cleaning them since the hotel was so close by. Also the place is CLEAN, no bugs, nothing, they do a great job keeping it up. Another big plus - food and restaurants are only a walk away. We went to the Korean Place across the street and got breakfast for our 3 kids for $4 with big portions! Or you can go down the block the other way and get subway - very easy for parents and kids.

Plus the staff is super nice and very accommodating! HUGE TIP - SAVE YOUR MONEY ON BEACH SUPPLIES, because the front desk will provide you with almost anything you want beach wise. Free beach towels, free beach mats, free chairs, they even let us borrow a boogie board for free (of course you have to give it back once you're done)! I stayed at fancier places in the past that charge a fee for these things.

Noise wise well we have 3 young kids so we were the noise. But didn't have any problems sleeping at night. Only one night the building besides the hotel was playing loud music but didn't really bother us.

One thing about the parking - there are only 5 spots and they are really tiny, and most of the time you'll have to reverse to get out of the parking area. No biggie, my wife spotted for me while pulling out.

Overall very satisfied. I would definitely stay here again. You can get other hotels around the same vicinity but it'll cost you $300-$500 dollars more.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Rodney
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The location is excellent for the price. My room, 601, had a limited view of Waikiki / Kuhio Beach just two short blocks from the hotel, about a three-minute walk. The staff was helpful and friendly. Free wi-fi is available outside the office day or night. There was no phone in my room but the TV worked well, as did the shower and the mini-fridge. The room was clean and pest-free. I would have preferred a fitted sheet for the mattress. The 24-room hotel was built in the early 60's, I think, before height restrictions were removed from the area. There are louvered, screened windows next to the door and beneath the efficient air conditioner. I'm glad I had earplugs because early-morning garbage trucks, delivery truck back-up horns, and a large air conditioning duct from the hotel across the narrow street can easily be heard from the room. My room was accessible by an elevator to the 5th floor and a 14-step walk to the 6th floor. The room price was excellent for this budget traveler: one night free with a 7-day reservation gave me an average room rate of under $59/ night including taxes. My room was closer to the white sand beach than some rooms in the luxury Waikiki resorts where my friends stayed. Blazing Steaks, Roughage (a health-food place with vegetarian offerings), an ABC store and bus stops are located within a 2-minute walk from the hotel. The Food Pantry on Kuhio Ave is about 5-minutes from the hotel. As a budget traveler, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The Waikiki Prince Hotel is smaller, older, nothing fancy, and a little noisy but with a great location, clean rooms and a friendly staff. We have stayed there on several holidays and found the money you save you can put towards excursions, tours, shows, dinners or another vacation back to Hawaii.
On our recent stay, Jenna allowed us to stay in our rooms at no charge until our evening departure since the room was not being used. I doubt this would happen at a larger hotel.
If you expect a 4 or 5 star hotel for the price of a 1 or 2 star this is not the place for you. We hope to be back for another visit soon.
Dennis
Delta B.C.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank deltadennisk
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I had heard stories about cockroaches in Honolulu, and due to the price of this older converted apartment building I fully expected to see them here...but there were none! The hotel was small but clean and our room had a small kitchenette. The appliances were old but all in working order and would have been functional for anyone wanting to make a few quick meals. We were extremely grateful for the air conditioning as it was quite warm when we were there and it also helped to deaden some of the noise of busy Waikiki. The double beds although clean were one of the negative strikes against them, not too comfortable...almost worn out and too small, they would be better off to get rid of the two doubles and replace them with one queen or king. The hotel advertises free Wi-Fi in the lobby, but we never had a problem hooking up in our room which was great as free wi-fi is nearly non-existent in Hawaii. There are no phones in the rooms, which may have made a few calls back home more convenient. The washroom has been updated but our unit only had a shower so if you need a bath tub this is not the place for you.The manager was very friendly and helpful and did her best to address any concerns that we had. Although there are absolutely no views of anything who comes to Hawaii to spend all their time in their rooms...the location is excellent for the price with only two blocks to the beach and shopping galore. All in all not a bad stay and their website pretty much shows it like it is. They also could have used some kleenex in the rooms, ours didn't have any...maybe an oversight...we didn't actually ask.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank canadatrav
Reviewed February 24, 2011

First off, I'll say that based on the reviews on Trip Advisor that we booked this room. I can't complain I knew that it was a budget hotel so not to have great expectations. It was clean and the room was neat and tidy. We were fortunate that we were given a room with two double beds as initially we had only booked for one double bed, as we had forgotten how small double beds really are! Good for kids, not so much for adults (unless you're a small adult). A few things to note, there was only a shower in our room (I don't know about the other rooms but ours only had a shower), and there's no in room telephone.

A couple of good things, we could easily connect with the hotel wifi in our room so this was a great bonus! A few things that I would've liked: thicker pillows, they were really thin, and maybe a bit of extra bedding as it could cool off a lot at night with the a/c on, Kleenex (there wasn't any in the room, I didn't know if this was an oversight or not). We kept the a/c on full blast at night as there were some partying neighbors who would frequently keep the party going at 2 am.

Also the parking is extremely tight and limited, they have around 4 spots to park.

I can't say that this hotel didn't fulfill our expectations because it did, having said that for another trip to Waikiki I think I would maybe try another hotel with a couple of more frills (like a pool) as we have found some other hotels that are marginally more expensive.

Also I do have to give kudos to the front desk clerk, she was very accommodating and very willing to help, so thanks!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nitramds
Reviewed January 30, 2011

The Waikiki Prince is close to the beach (less then a minute depending on the stop light). Close to bus stops on Kuhio that can get you anywhere you need to go. We got to watch the Waikiki fireworks from our Lanai. You won't find a more friendly staff anywhere even at the more expensive places. I wouldn't hesitate at staying here again. But keep in mind this isn't the Hilton.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple