“$25 for buffet breakfast”

Pacific Beach Hotel
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“$25 for buffet breakfast”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Just thought I'd release that information to the internet, as I couldn't find the cost anywhere. Not even in the hotel info folder in the room, so I rang down. If I thought there was the remotest chance of the cost actually being $25, I might have tried it. But no doubt there'd be sales tax and service charge on top (although buffet should mean "help yourself" - no need to trouble any waiting staff - you'd think). McDonald's breakfast next door, available about 3 am till 1030, will be many guests' choice, I suspect! Another thrifty tip (to avoid taxi fares) is turn right exiting hotel and at end of road are bus stops to airport, downtown and Diamond Head, all $2.50. There's a 24/7 convenience store there too (no beer sales 00-06 though, "it's the law" - alcohol & smoking have tight regulations in Hawaii).

Great hotel for views, location, general feelgood factor. Large room (smoking) on 32nd floor, with balcony and views to south of beach and Diamond Head crater. Only room criticisms: no power socket by bed, and fridge didn't work.

$815 for 3 nights, room only, so it all comes at a price. That includes $20 a night for room wifi (basic package worked fairly well, you can buy faster connections) and a few extra fripperies which I didn't use.

So my rating 3 stars, could so easily be 5 if only the prices were a little lower.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank CottonZ
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Aloha CottonZ,

Your review was full of great advice! Thank you so much for sharing. My apologies for the lack of information regarding the price of our breakfast buffet. Thanks for the feedback! You know we always have a room for you here anytime you need to get another dose of paradise! We hope to see you again soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner at the buffet different types of crabs the seafood collection was very good the large fish tank with the different fish and the mermaids was nice entertainment I really enjoyed the dinner. The on site chief was ok he didn't do fried rice I thought was kinda odd but overall I had a great time

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha richhack2013,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and review of the Pacific Beach Hotel and our Oceanarium Restaurant! We very much appreciate your loyalty to us and we are eager to welcome you on your next visit. We'll see you soon!

Fort Morgan, Colorado
Reviewed February 10, 2014

While staying in this hotel my friend & I had numerous bed bug bites all over our bodies. My friend found a bed bug in her bed after turning on the light & immediately pulling back the sheets. One of the maintenance men saw the dead bed bug my friend had killed & stated that there were definitely bed bugs & that they get worse every year. The manager was cold & offered us no compensation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
16 Thank 792brandyl
PacBeach H, Director of Rooms at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Aloha Brandy L,

We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your recent visit and please accept my apologies for the issues that you encountered. Our goal is to leave a very positive lasting impression on all of our guests and create wonderful memories that can be shared for years to come. We are very saddened to hear that your experience with us was far from wonderful.

I can assure you that we have a very aggressive and strict protocol that we follow in the event that one of our guests have a concern regarding any type of bug or pest in our hotel. We utilize a third party pest control company that specializes in hotel preventative pest control measures and all of our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff have been thoroughly trained on our protocols. Unfortunately, regardless of training and preventative measures and coupled with being located in a tropical international destination, bugs and pests are inevitable. Our preventative efforts certainly minimize the occurances.

As for your particular room, after a thorough inspection, the pest control company determined that there was no evidence of bed bug activity. Nontheless, you did notice a bug in your room and for that I apologize as I can imagine how unsettling that must have felt. I also apologize for the response that you received from one of our managers. We certainly never intend to seem cold or unhelpful in any way. We are always looking for ways to improve so I very much appreciate your feedback for improvement.

On a more positive note, after reviewing your account, I am happy to see that you extended your vacation with us. We were certainly happy to help with the extension. Hawaii tends to have that affect on visitors. Usually everyone wants to stay for at least another day if not longer. I hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to Waikiki!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Found it on expedia, needed one night and it works. Close to the beach, great oceanarium in the lobby. Best deal I could find on waikiki, $137/ night. Plus taxes and amenity charge, for nothing I used, out the door around 176. Do it for the price. I'm now having a better experience elsewhere though.

• Stayed February 2014
Aloha Scottinillinois,

Thanks for taking a moment to review your recent experience at the Pacific Beach Hotel. I am happy to hear that you found us to be a great value and overall you enjoyed your experience, but it does look like we have some room to improve. Thank you for letting us know and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We booked a partial ocean view room for a 2 night stay & were upgraded on arrival to a Penthouse Suite which was amazing! With our own lounge room, spa, four poster bed & beautiful views of Waikiki beach this was heaven. Great location at in my opinion the better end of the Waikiki strip & beach. The oceanarium in the restaurant is also quite a novelty worth visiting. A little dated but perfect value for money in a great location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Lauren W,

It's always nice when you get to take adavantage of those complimentary upgrades! We always enjoy being able to do that from time to time. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Also, thanks for the shout out regarding the Oceanarium Restaurant. It is definitely fun to watch the mermaids and divers in the 280,000 gallon oceanarium! Come see us again soon!

Westfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Great location. Rooms are very dated and have been well used. Had a lot of problems with the air conditioning was very old and hard to set. It is average for the price. Was not happy that our rooms were not next to each other, but they were on the same floor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank zeta4u
Aloha zeta4u,

We were so happy to see that you rated our service and cleanliness 5-stars! Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and ratings. My apologies for the frustrations that you encountered with the air conditioner in your room. As part of our upcoming renovation, we will be replacing all of our air conditioners with more advanced and energy efficient units. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Pacific Beach Hotel again on your next visit to Honolulu!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The Pacific Beach Hotel was wonderful!! The hotel is very clean, they had great service, and the hotel is right across from the beach and next to all of the shops and restaurants. What more could anyone ask for!?

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Whitefitch1
Aloha Whitefitch1,

Mahalo nui loa for the very positive 5-star review! Come back and see us again soon!