“Sunsets and cocktails on the balcony every night.”

Pacific Beach Hotel
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Sunsets and cocktails on the balcony every night.”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

When looking for a Hotel to stay at in Waikiki to celebrate a very special occasion, we spotted the Pacific Beach Hotel on Trip Advisor and weighed up the price and location vs other hotels. We booked an Ocean Front room and it was perfect for what we wanted: the corner room was big, had sensational views of the beach and the friends we were travelling with all ended up on our balcony at the end of each day for sunset cocktails.
The rooms were clean, the pillows were great and the service from the majority of the staff was very good, particularly Jocelyn, who's determination to ensure we enjoyed our stay was excellent...thank you!
We also had dinner in the Oceanarium to celebrate the reason for being in Hawaii - the atmosphere and Mermaid Show was unique and the food was very good.
Overall, I would certainly recommend the hotel, but would only stay in the Ocean Front rooms...it's very special to wake up to watching the surf of Waikiki and end each day with a perfect sunset...and dinner in the many options available within close walking distance to the property. Mahalo!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Aloha Michael B,

Mahalo for your five star rating! I would also like to thank you for reaching out to me personally through email. I am very pleased to hear you & your wife enjoyed our accommodations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again for another exceptional vacation trip!

Jocelyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were a little concerned after reading some reviews but we have found this hotel to be just fine. We has water on the bathroom floor and called the desk. Someone came to fix it in 5 minutes and cleaned up the water. The service is great and the restaurant is very good. It is a bargain compared to some of the other properties on the beach but it is not lacking in amenities.

Room Tip: Ocean view is better than expected.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PJBLTB
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Aloha PJBLTB,

Thank you for your review and sharing your impressions regarding your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your kind comments about our efficient staff and room accommodations. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your time here in Hawaii. I understand that there are a number of hotels in the area, so I sincerely hope when your travels bring you back to Pacific Beach, you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Dingley, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at Pacific Beach in Sept 2013. Our room was lovely and clean, bed comfy and surprisingly quiet considering its location. If you are considering staying there and you are not a smoker make sure you request a non smoking room. We did not even realise these were available for a few days after check in and would have asked had we known. We had a partial ocean view room which was spacious and had a balcony overlooking other hotels and the water. This was fine for us as really you don't spend a lot of time in the room gazing out the windows anyway. We did not eat in the main restaurant but did have breakfast etc in the cafe. We found the staff very friendly at all times. The wifi was good most of the time, however connection did appear less reliable when there were lots more guests staying at the hotel. Overall,I think Pacific Beach was reasonably priced, I would definitely recommend it and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view, higher floors, non smoking available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret K
Aloha Margaret K,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. We are happy to know you enjoyed your overall experience here at Pacific Beach. I want to thank you for your loyalty to us & we definitely look forward to serving you again!

Mahalo A Hui Hou,
Wharton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Nice Hotel; clean and well kept and perfect location. Walking distance to the beach (1/2 a block) and a lot of other turist-y things. On my first day I decided to walk around to explore and ended up at a little shoping area a couple blocks down and it was great. Ended up buying all my souveniers there. They had a lot of local, hand made jewelry and more.
The hotel rooms arn't super fancy but if you are looking for a great location without spending a lot of $,, this is it. Besides, who goes to HI to stay in their hotel room all day?!?!?!?!
I have no complains.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Aloha Carodr01,

An excellent experience is important to all of us at Pacific Beach. Thank you for choosing our hotel & we are happy to hear your overall accommodations was great. We look forward to having you back!

Mahalo A Hui Hou,
Pittsburg, California
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is so close to the beach and international market. It also has breakfast for only $5.oo each morning while you enjoy the atmosphere outside. I would like to mention Crenscia the housekeeper on the 10th floor kept the room immaculant. I definately would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank donnadavis2013
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Aloha DonnaDavis2013,

Thank you very much for your five star rating! We greatly appreciate your kind comment regarding one of our housekeeper. Please be assured that your kind praises will be shared with this exemplary employee. Again, thank you for your valuable feedback and it would be an absolute pleasure to serve you again soon!

Chandler, AZ
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The location of this hotel was perfect. Directly across the street from the beach and within easy walking distance of virtually everything. Cheeseburger in Paradise is on the opposite corner so you have a good casual restaurant a few steps away. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly. We had an oceanfront room on the 11th floor and the view was fantastic. The room was clean and comfortable. Furnishings were simple but were in good condition. My only CON on the furnishings was there was only one relatively small dresser so storage space for clothing was rather limited and we kept a bunch in the suitcases (there were three of us packed for a two week vacation). The beds were comfortable and we loved listening to the surf at night as we slept. The Oceanarium in the center of the hotel was amazing. Do not miss the free mermaid show, particularly if you are there with kids.Their restaurant runs alongside the three story tall tank. It is a buffet type restaurant and the menu seemed heavy on the seafood side. Neither myself. my wife nor my son eat seafood or very little of it so we never tried it but the restuarant was always busy so I am assuming the food was good but I can't fairly rate it. It looked really nice though. All in all a great experience. I saw some negative reviews but I have only my own experience to go on and I can say that my room was cleaned spotless each and every day. Also, if you fly Hawaiian Airlines sign up for their free miles program and you get a GREAT rate at this hotel. We did. Tip: If you are going there for a special occasion let them know. We were there for our 10 year anniversary and filled that out in the comment section on-line when we made our reservatiion. A bottle of champagne on ice along with 2 Pacific Beach Hotel champagne flutes were waiting on the table when we entered our room. Was awesome to sit out on the balcony that night sipping champagne in the moonlight listening to the waves. One other tip, if driving to it you turn left on the one way street right after the McDonalds on the corner and the entrance is on the right after the outdoor cafe. I circled the place 3 times my first time there before I figured out how to get in. I would have no issues staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms at the higher levels will offer you a better view and a bit of a buffer from the s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JandAinAZ
Aloha JandAinAZ,

I am very pleased to know you and your family enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled to hear how much our hotel accommodations exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you all back to Pacific Beach very soon! Again, Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!

Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

If your idea of a 4 star hotel, is plastic shower curtains and beat up furniture, then by all means book at the Pacific Beach. We just returned from a weeks holidays. We were very disappointed in the accommodations. When you look at the pictures on the website for the Pacific Beach, the rooms look very nice. However the pictures are very deceiving. The rooms are really old and the furniture has long since outlived it purpose. The mattress was so worn out that you could feel the springs through it. There was still hair in the bathroom from the previous guest. The plug in in the bathroom only worked for the first day. We read the reviews before we booked and thought that sometimes people exaggerate about their experience, but we were wrong. The bad reviews are correct. The hotel does not disserve a 4 star rating. I would give it a 2 at best. There are only 2 positive things that I have to say about this hotel; 1. location is fabulous, directly across from Waikiki Beach 2. the concierge desk, particularly Kailey, was terrific. Other than that, my advice for my fellow Canadians and other travelers, spend the extra could of dollars and stay at the Sheraton. T&S Rhyno

Room Tip: The hotel down the street has a great view. Stay there.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sharmane R
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Aloha T&S Rhyno,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I apologize that you felt our guest room presentation and accommodation fell below your expectation. I assure you that we will utilize your feedback to improve on all areas. Your feedback is incredibly valuable to us and we will take your comments on our housekeeping standards and amenities into consideration. Please know we are in the stages of refreshing our hotel to improve guest experience. Should you need to address your concerns directly, don't hesitate to reach out to me via email at jnemoto@pacificbeachhotel.com. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you.

Mahalo Nui Loa,