“Close to Beach But Needs Refurbishing”

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here one night before cruise. The price was right and it was on Wakiki Beach. Arrived late afternoon, entered the lobby and noticed an odor of mildew mixed with the smell of smoke. It felt dirty. After waiting in life 30 mins., we went up to our 10th floor partial oceanview room with a balcony that had a view of the small pool on a patio on the sidestreet.

The room was basic, clean and didn't smell except for the carpets. Rooms need refurbishing. There was a king bed, two night tables and a table with two chairs. A large screen TV, refrig.and coffee maker included the ammenites. All was clean. The bath was older, but very clean. You can see the pictures I include. We had a nice view from the balcony from the side of the building, but if the door was open, the construction on the street was loud as was the traffic and smell of cars.

The fish tank in the restaurant was nothing great!! I was disappointed. The whole lobby just felt ickly. The beach across the road was filled with homeless during the night and even the day, where the matresses and carts were still in place. There was no place to sit in the shade and there was strong police presence. The beach itself was a letdown. Maybe it was just that area of Wakiki.

Glad we stayed just one night. But got a good nith sleep.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better to not hear construction noise and city noise. We were not on the si...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sarleo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,481)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

It all starts with the check in. The line to check was at least 20 min due to the "Island time" style staff. Nothing in this hotel is efficient. First off the elevator you will sense the pungent aroma similar to a leaky 1800s abandoned home. Step into the room, although a great view, please notice a different but similar moldy smell. The shower drain plug had to be removed and placed on the black mold edge for keeping to keep the water from getting high enough to reach your ankles. We ventured down to eat at the cafe which was closed due to a new AC unit being installed. No problem, as a sign stated we could eat in the Oceanarium Restaurant. We were excited for a brief moment only to have the rude staff, that we obviously interupted, point at a table that had tightly wrapped 7/11 style sandwiches. There were no drinks and we could not sit in the restaurant because they were closed. When you book, please note there will be more fees at check in. Checking out, if you want the receipt, you have to stand in the long check in line. Needless to say, we left and moved on to a better place, relax, and not get sick from all the mold.

Room Tip: The view was great. But that's it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Scottstravelin
Charles Y, Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Pacific Beach Hotel. We take all our guest feedback very seriously and have shared your comments with the team at the hotel. Your feedback provides information that is valuable and assists us in our improvement. We strive for total and copmplete guest satisfaction and apologise that you experience was less than perfect.
We are very excited for what the future holds for the Pacific Beach Hotel we are consistently enhancing the guest service and are in the planning stages of a multi million dollar complete property renovation.
If your future plans bring you to the Waikiki area we would ask you to give us another opportnity to provide memorable caring attentive guest service.

Mahalo,

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but we had the seafood buffet at the Oceanarium Restaurant. Reservations are highly recommended (may be required--not sure as our daughter had taken care of the arrangements prior to our arrival to Oahu). The featured dish on the buffet was Alaskan King Crab. At $49 per person, you can bet there was a LOT of crab put away at our table! I am not a big seafood person but there was plenty of other non-seafood items to choose from such as prime rib, made-to-order pasta bar, salads galore, breads of various kinds, and several desserts (including a soft-serve 'ice cream' machine and a chocolate fountain). The best part of the experience is the beautiful "oceanarium"--a HUGE semi-circular water feature that has numerous types of salt-water fish. Our daughter had requested a table next to the oceanarium so we could enjoy the fish swimming right next to our table. For an extra fee, you can have a "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary" sign made and a SCUBA diver dives down and waves it around for all to see and for photo-taking opportunities. The SCUBA diver also feeds the inhabitants (not sure if that is on a specific schedule or not or we just got lucky!) which creates quite a stir in the tank to get to the food. She fed the "little fish" some what appeared to be leaf-lettuce by attaching it to a clip on the bottom edge of the glass so the fish would have an eating frenzy right next to our table while the larger fish ate something else she fed them from above. The wait staff did an ok job--nothing exceptional but not bad either. The restrooms were a little musty smelling and the carpet had seen better days. Otherwise, the experience was great. It was just a block away from Waikiki Beach so after dinner we walked over to it to experience a beautiful sunset, walking in the water and sand.

Room Tip: Don't go by the photos online for hotel rooms but the photo of the Oceanarium is pretty accurate...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn H

Dear Guest,
I am pleased that you had a good experience at the Oceanarium Restaurant. It is spectacular and many people love to dine with us.
I appreicate you taking the time to tell us about your complete dining experience and I have shared you comments with the Food and Beverage team. Your comments help us to continue our growth and improvement in our service delivery and the ambience of the restaurant.
We look forward to your continued patronage in the future and once again appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your dining experience.
Mahalo

Reviewed May 12, 2013

If you have no other choice and have to book here, try not to get stuck with a room over the 24-hr fitness centre (at least two fitness sessions a day were broadcast over the loudspeaker and reverberated up into the rooms of this hotel). And if you have concerns about your stay, be sure they are dealt with ASAP, as they don't take customer service seriously here.

I've been to Honolulu four times in the last two years and this was by far the worst hotel I've stayed at. I booked on-line and paid for an oceanfront room ... there are 17 floors of ocean front rooms and when I checked in (at 3:00pm), I was given a room on the 6th floor. A 6th floor oceanfront room at this hotel also means obstructed view and hey, look at all the peeling paint on the rooftop and pigeon poop. I had asked, four different times, to move to a new room. I was told to pack my luggage and they would move my things to a better room while I was out during the day, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED! I even wasted time in line at the front desk, waiting for keys to this "imaginary" new room I was told I'd be moved to. I'd finally gotten frustrated with the poor service (each time I spoke with someone, I was told a different story) and asked for the manager to call me ... well, I spent two more days in this hotel and NEVER heard from them. Horrible hotel (service, staff, decore, rooms). And the comments you've read about the dated decor are very true ... the clock radio in the room was from the 1980s, so be sure to bring your chargers :(

The location is good but that's the only plus about this place.
I would recommend the Aston Waikiki Beach, Modern Honolulu and Sheraton Princess over the P/B/H.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Sheri-Alberta
Charles Y, Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. I sincerely apologize for our lack of caring attentive guest service and for the lack of follow through during your most recent stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel.
Your comments have been shared with all the managers at the hotel and this will serve as a great learning experience and tool for us to improve and be better.
We do realize our hotel is older and we will be investing a lot of money into improvements in the next few years.
Our guest service is an ongoing and daily training exercise and we are always striving to improve and be better.
Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that you will try the hotel again when you return to the Waikiki area and experience true caring attentive service in action.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

A decent start as the desk agent gave me a upgraded room a couple hours before the official check in time, but went downhill quckly. The room was in rough condition and not clean (leftover dirty washcloth from prior occupant hanging on the shower rod). Worse however was the lack of service follow-through from management/security. The neighboring room had loud/late parties both nights I was there (including banging on the door and yelling for the obviously passed-out occupants to open the door well past 4:00 am), and neither mgmt nor security ever came despite multiple calls.

Room Tip: I am very familiar with the market as I go to Oahu frequently and formerly lived on island. If you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RM_LiveAloha

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your most recent experience at the Pacific Beach Hotel. I have shared your comments with my Director of Housekeeping regarding the cleanliness of your room. My Director of Security was also informed of the challenges you had in the evening and late morning regardng noise and the disruption of your sleep.
This lack of attention and follow through is not normal at the Pacific Beach Hotel where we pride ourselves on our service and the positive guest experiences.
We would love another opportunity to serve you again should your travel plans bring you back to Waikiki.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel is situated a block from Waikiki Beach. It has a huge oceanarium restaurant that serves good seafood. Not all the front desk clerks were friendly. One in particular was abrupt and not very helpful. Check-out line was super long and it wasn't well organized. The room was huge and two king-size beds could have fit in the room. The king size bed I had was very comfortable. The room, including the bathroom, was clean and comfortable. This is a busy hotel and the lobby was noisy.

Room Tip: Check-out early to avoid long line. Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid noise from lobby and s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about you most recent experience at the Pacific Beach Hotel. Guest Feedback is always welcome and it is a wonderful resource to help us to improve. I have shared you comments with the managment team at the hotel. We pride ourselves on providing attentive, friendly guest service. I apologize we fell short with your experience. We are working hard to improve the hotel service experience.
I am pleased you liked the Oceanarium Restaurant and the size of the room and cleanliness of the hotel.
If your travel plans bring you back to Waikiki we would love another opportunity to provide caring attentive guest service. We have a lot of renovation and enhancement plans for the near future and are very excited about the plans for the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed 8 nights. Had a partial view. That was great cause we had a church beside us. We were on the 14th floor above the church roof.Sat out on the Balcony every morning for coffee The room, bathroom was a good size, renovated. TV was a good size. We loved the location and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The pool side get the late afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Charles Y, Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent review; we strive to ensure everyones stay is memorable. We are very fortunate to have a great associates and a great location with accessibility to Waikiki Beach.
I am pleased that you had a nice time and we appreciate your business and look forward to a return visit if returning to the Waikiki area.

Mahalo,