“Look elsewhere!”

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I decided to vacation in Oahu for our anniversary. First of all, I'm going to start with the positive experiences while staying at this hotel. The location is awesome--right across from the most central to the beach life. The appearance of the hotel was okay. Nice exterior look, 2 tall buildings, interior was only nice on the ground level (the check-in area). The aquarium is a sight to see. Other than that, eveything else was as horrible as it can get in a nightmare....

We checked in the first night and were told the the whole hotel was full and didn't have any king or queen size rooms available "in your category". I asked if I can pay extra to upgrade, this question took 10 minutes to be answered. The clerk said "I'm afraid there is nothing available because we have rooms other customers paid to guarantee a certain option"--such as a king size room. The advise I got was to check back again after 11am the next day (and each day after that). We were pretty disappointed to start our romantic vacation in a 2 twin bed room. I can't begin to describe our night sleeping on one of these "twin" beds. The mattress squeaks each time you turn in bed and it's as hard as the floor. My husband and I ended up waking up every 30 minutes to switch positions because our legs or arms kept numbing due to the hard mattress and frequently waking each other up by bumping. Never in my life have I slept so poorly!

The following day, I checked with the front desk again. And once again, waiting 20 + minutes to get nowhere. I was told the same thing... I even asked if we can place the 2 twin beds together and was told "no".

To make a long story short, I took time from our vacation and waited in line 3 times each day for 4 days with nothing more than, "I'm so sorry, there's nothing we can do". I felt like this hotel's customer service is at its worse. Some of the clerks wouldn't even look me in the eye, while at the same time be typing away crazy (still can't figure out what she was typing?) Finally, on our 4th night, we couldn't take it anymore. We accepted the idea of twin beds, but not having any sleep--that just didn't slide (at least not for our bodies). We decided to ask for a cot. This request took about 30 mintues to be approved by the "manager" becuause they charge $50 per night for one of these! At first we requested 2 cots, but were told 2 will not fit in the room. That night, I finally got "some" rest. I wouldn't say the best, but what can I say if I haven't slept the last 3 nights.

Other not so pleasant experiences during this stay:

*There was mold on areas of our ceiling (we reported this and asked if we can switch to another room. Of course the answer was no, "we are booked full"

Overall, there are no words to sum up our experience at this hotel. My advise is to seek a hotel somewhere else. 70 % of this hotel is twin beds. If we were to get a refund the very first night, we would've left. Because our vacation was pre-booked, no refunds were made. Lastly, this hotel charges a resort fee of $20 per night (this is the most crazy part because this hotel sure didn't feel like a resort).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank girlrenewed

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My stay at the Pacific Beach was very enjoyable. The staff were friendly,the rooms were clean and a good size. We were upgraded to an ocean view room, which I truly enjoyed sitting out on the patio and watching the surfers in the morning having a cup of Kona coffee. One negative was the beds are hard. It was fine for me, but my roommate didn't like the bed. However, this was her only complaint. We booked on Priceline with a terrific rate for Waikiki Beach. We found parking at the Banyan for only $12.00 a day. This hotel is only 1 block away. It all worked out well for us.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to an ocean view ahead of time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I needed a place to get work done since my building at work was under construction through Spring Break. After looking over the many Kamaaina specials at various hotels, I decided on the Pacific Beach Hotel and totally made the right choice!

I explained to the front desk that I needed to get some work done and they graciously put me in a quiet high floor. The view brought relaxation, the wireless internet was fast, and I was close to places to eat. I wanted to maximize my time there, so I requested that my room not be made up, but the house keeping staff still made sure that my house keeping needs were met by giving me fresh towels daily and replenishing my coffee and water while giving me words of encouragement.

My plan was to stay only 3 nights, but I extended for 2 more nights since I was getting so much work done. Mahalo for the help with this Angel (Guest Service Manager)!!!

The Pacific Beach Hotel is a great get-away place for locals to take a staycation or to get work, since it brings value and aloha to Kamaainas!

I hope to return to the Pac Beach soon... not to work though (I did enough of that during Spring Break), but for a staycation with my wife and children!

Room Tip: Upper floors on the east side give you both a Diamond Head and ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I found this hotel a good option for Waikiki and would definitely recommend staying here.

For the price, everything was perfectly fine - especially if booked through booking.com or similar as you get a good deal, rather than booking direct.

Rooms are nice size - I had one at side of hotel so could see the ocean from my balcony. I can imagine ocean front rooms would be beautiful! They are slightly dated but all clean and have everything you'll need including toiletries and beach towels.

As mentioned in other reviews, the views and location of this hotel completely outweigh anything else. The location is wonderful - absolutely perfect - and all staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. i was travelling alone and found their advice wonderful.

This hotel achieves a happy medium between the larger resorts (that remove you from the real action) and smaller hotels (that won't have activity booking service, shops etc). As well as a cafe and shops, there is a small pool (although with the ocean opposite, you won't need to use this) and an on-site salon (friendly staff but not best massage - I would only recommend for mani/pedi). It is also interesting to see the oceanarium in the dining area (they have a mermaid swim in this at 5pm and 9pm each day).

As mentioned previously, there is a $20 daily service charge in addition to room charge so just be aware of this. The additional charge means you get two bottles of mineral water each day and free wifi throughout the hotel (this worked fine for me). If you want a nice, reliable hotel for your stay then I would recommend this. It probably is better for a shorter stay (I was there 4 nights) just because the additional charges would mount up over a longer stay.

Room Tip: Don't get room next to the lifts/elevators as they can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My son and I are just finishing up a week long vacation in Honolulu. The first hotel we stayed in jumped in price so he found this one for the last night. Don't stay here. They penny, nickel, dime you for everything. Check out time is 11 am!!!! and it costs an extra $20 per extra hour. The beds were so uncomfortable and hard that his hands fell asleep. The first hotel let us have a late check-out---1 pm---and apologized that they couldn't let us stay longer because they were so full. There is no free internet. No nothing. There are just too many other good choices for the price paid. Just glad it was just one night before flying out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Debra777
PacificBeachHotel, Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Aloha Debra777,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The main purpose of online reviews is to highlight the areas that we can improve on. With your feedback we are able to do that. We sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced and have shared this with our management team. We value your comments and thank you again for reviewing our hotel.

With regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The views from the oceanfront rooms are stunning. You have a balcony to enjoy coffee or a drink with an unobstructed panoramic view of Waikiki Beach and the span of the ocean. The rooms were spacious...fixtures and design slightly dated...but, the views made up for everything. The buffet was pricey but excellent. We got a 15% off coupon at the activities desk in the lobby. Senior citizens are 30% off which made the meal doable. Although the emphasis is on the crab (which was very good too), the prime rib was so good my kids wanted to go back.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating when we needed anything. We decided to cancel our Marriott Resort nights on the other side of the island, because my parents were enjoying the view and liveliness of this location. It is in the middle of things, so walking to restaurants and the International Marketplace is easy.

The beach is right across the street...a few steps, and you're spreading your towel out.

I would definitely recommend the ocean front rooms. The price is the best you can get for this type of view!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to ocean front. You can get the best prices on their own website.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KQJ
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed for 10 days and had a fantastic time, location of hotel was great, staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and neat. A kettle rather than the coffee maker would have been good and milk rather than non-dairy whitener would have been good. Would highly recommend if you are after somewhere handy to restaurants and shopping but not too hectic, directly across from beach, great views!

• Stayed: March 2013