Most visitors to Waikiki know about the Waikiki Aquarium, up the Diamond Head end of Kalakaua Avenue just a ten minute stroll from all the shops and hotels (open 9am to 4pm, entry $9). But very few visitors know about the huge Oceanarium in the Pacific Beach Hotel on Kalakaua Avenue, not far from the centre of all the shops and hotels, and right opposite Waikiki Beach itself.
I think it's one of the hidden 'sights' of Waikiki.
The Oceanarium is actually the restaurant of the Pacific Beach Hotel. From the hotel's Front Desk, you walk down the curved stairway to the restaurant, and take a table beside an enormous two-storey aquarium, Its huge plate-class windows allow you to stare at sharks and rays and turtles and schools of fish swimming past. Twice a day, divers feed the fish as well.
It's one of the most interesting views of any restaurant in Hawaii. The Oceanarium Restaurant serves a buffet Brunch from 8am to 3pm, and a buffet dinner from 4pm to 10pm. It costs $46.95 (or $20 for kids under 11).
But you don't have to eat there if you just want to call by and see the Oceanarium. I never knew this place existed, until my partner Kathie (who once stayed at this hotel and enjoyed its location across the road from Waikiki Beach) took me in there for a look. I stood on the curved stairway and, I admit, I was amazed. The Oceanarium is BIG. And it's unique. There are a few other hotels around the world with a restaurant in or beside a huge fish-tank. They usually make a big fuss about having such an attraction in their hotel. The Pacific Beach Hotel in Waikiki doesn't make a big fuss about it, but they should. It's an unusual experience.
Next time you're in Waikiki, make sure you call into the Pacific Beach Hotel, and at least see the Oceanarium Restaurant. It's definitely worth a look!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located across Waikiki Beach with views of the Pacific Ocean, Waikiki City Lights, and Diamond Head landmark. Full service hotel with 839 guestrooms, island-style family dining, flexible meeting space, 24-hour fitness center, self or valet parking, business center and gift shops. Please note: Oceanarium Aquarium currently undergoing refurbishments through Summer 2017. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Pacific Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pacific Beach Honolulu
- Hotel Pacific Beach
- Pacific Beach Hotel At Waikiki
- Pacific Beach Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu