“Great Stay for Families”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 12 and 8) stayed here for Spring Break of 2013 for 8 nights. I did quite a bit of research before this trip in selecting our hotel and I was NOT disappointed. The location of this hotel is ideal. We didn't rent a car our entire trip. Any excursions (Pearl Harbor, snorkeling, Germaine's Luau), we booked through the hotel and transportation was provided. We had an ocean view room with queen beds that overlooked the children's pool (as opposed to the infinity pool). This was perfect because I could send my children down to the pool and watch them while my husband and I got finished getting our stuff together. I was also able to get great aerial views of the Waikiki Beach. We are Starwood members and so we enjoyed a night at the lounge. I had accidentally forgotten my camera there (huge heart stopping moment) and the next day, security returned it to me. We also had a day where we forgot to lock the safe (hey, it happens) and were VERY lucky to find that our room had been cleaned and nothing had been taken. The staff was friendly and phenomenal. I could go on and on about that! The adult infinity pool was crowded, but there were chairs available and everyone was respectful and it was the perfect getaway from the kids for a drink or two. The children's pool was excellent and my son went on the waterslide a million times! We would stay here again in a heartbeat. We had one issue where we wanted to see the fireworks at the HIlton. My husband had mentioned this to Scott, the surf instructor who works for Sheraton, and Scott told us to park ourselves right outside our hotel and not go down to the Hilton because it would be too crowded and we'd be able to see. As it turns out, Scott was incorrect and we ended up missing most of the show because we could not see them from the Sheraton. We were pretty upset about this because we had initially planned to head down to the Hilton and we felt like we should not have been given this bum advice. My husband went to a manager of the Sheraton (I'm so sorry, but he doesn't remember her name) and she was excellent. She comped us a movie, but really would have done more. She actually said to my husband, "Tell me what you want. What can I do to make this better?" We were very impressed by this. This was a great family vacation and the Sheraton Waikiki is a huge part of the reason why it was so amazing.

2  Thank Kathleen W

Reviewed March 23, 2013

location: perfect
room: excellent
beach: superb
pool: 1 kiddy pool and 2 large pools; 2 slides; 1 adult infinity pool
restaurants: plenty
overall: hard to beat
perks: club level 30 unbeatable view of Waikiki beach

traveled with 2 kids 3.5 and 7

20-30 min from the airport; we rented a car and find the way with GPS easy; however right by the hotel the streets are somewhat tangled given the proximity of Royal Hawaian hotel and mall

the hotel is very nice with clean grounds

rooms are large; full bath with windows which opens toward the room; we had frontal view of the ocean and the infinity pool which was incredible; the other rooms have view toward diamond head and Waikiki beach which is impressive but also toward the kids pool; both choices are quit however at night

the beach is excellent; there is small one on the right side of the hotel; there is a large hibiscus tree perfect for climbing in which my kids spent at least 30 min every day; hard to describe but very nice; on the left side of the hotel is the Waikiki beach where you can rent lounge and umbrella; sand excellent and water shallow a long way into the ocean

pools are large with 2 lounges; free and for rent; the rent is 45 a day and have shades which is very nice; otherwise if you wake up by 8-9 there are plenty free;

there are 3 restaurants one which is a bar also- rum fire; all good food; outside places that we tried and all had kids menu Roy's, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake factory, Sheraton marketplace

right behind the hotel is the main shopping district of waikiki with lots of restaurants and shops mainly designer shops

at the level 30 the Sheraton club has afternoon snacks 4-8 with superb Waikiki beach views; one free day for SPG members or 100/ day for morning and afternoon snacks

lots of shops on the ground level

overall Sheraton is hard to beat given the large size pool plus the kiddy pool, beach, room and location; we had an excellent time in Waikiki

Room Tip: ocean front can still see the Dimond Head from the middle toward the Halekulani hotel
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Extremely disappointed when my partner and I arrived home to discover that brand new items of clothing and an expensive handbag that we had bought were stolen from our bags. We reported this to the hotel as soon as we noticed that they were missing, and they claimed that none of their staff had stolen anything. We realised that it is a huge accusation however, our luggage was always locked and we never had issues with customs within the US and when we returned home to Australia. Absolutely disappointing and upsetting! Will never stay again as I would not feel comfortable!

Room Tip: Rooms are outdated and what is seen in the pictures is not how the room looks!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diana984
SheratonWaikiki, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Aloha, you are correct this is a huge accusation and we would appreciate you contacting us directly so we can perform a full investigation. We do not tolerate theft and take these accusations very seriously. Mahalo in advance for contacting us at the email address below.
Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team
377GuestExperienceTeam@Sheraton.com

Reviewed March 22, 2013

What an awesome experience we had here compared to the Royal Hawaiian a few days later! The staff here gave us a very warm welcome and honored our Platinum status with Starwood. The view from the room was spectacular! The view from the Starwood lounge was also amazing and we appreciated the convenience of this additional perk. The pools are much better than the Royal Hawaiian and it is possible to utilize the beach in front of the RH as there is not one in front of the Sheraton. The bellmen and car parking staff were jovial and helpful. They even bailed us out of a parking challenge that we had at the Royal Hawaiian because of the Sultan of Brunei staying there and blocking everything up with Cadillac Escalades, Lincoln Navigators, Merecedes not to mention the Honolulu police cars. How disruptive! We were graciously offered a late check-out at time of registration. All in all I was very impressed with the service, services and overall attitude and vibe of this well located hotel. I will definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirbowla
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel location is perfect, steps to everything in Waikiki and equal distance to both ends of Kalakaua Ave. All of my encounters with the staff were pleasant and helpful. Everything was just so convenient at this hotel, I didn't find myself stressing about anything. The parking was convenient, wifi was fast, and being able to come back and use the hospitality lounge to freshen up before my late flight home was amazing(this was offered to me at checkout, I didn't even know about it).

I've been to Honolulu many times and have stayed at 3 star hotels, the Sheraton is much cleaner which is why I rated it very good. Most of the hotels in Hawaii are quite old, just that the Sheraton Waikiki aged a little better than others. I would say that the hotel rating for the hotels in Hawaii are half a point below the mainland, if that makes sense. If I compared this Sheraton to the Sheraton in Seattle, the one in Seattle is a true 4 star.

I read a lot of reviews here and was hesitant when I booked, but I have no regrets. A lot of people don't like how the hotel is busy, this is true, but I like that lively feeling. The elevators are not as slow as everyone says it is, there are over 10 of them running the same time!!! The challenge was figuring out which one you were supposed to hop into before the door closes because there are so many of them. Soundproofing is indeed not that great, you can hear everything from the hallway inside your room and vice versa. I think this could be solved if the room doors were half an inch longer, the gap underneath the door is bigger than it needs to be. The standard room is spacious and clean. If people think the rooms here are small, they've never been to Japan, haha. The soap tray in the bathtub was metal and had a small strip of rust on it, I would recommend that the hotel pay attention to these small details and replace them when needed.

As other guests have mentioned, the pool is excellent. It was busy, but I was able to get two seats everyday without having to get up early. Maybe I was just lucky?

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at the Sheraton Waikiki and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The property has a nice location, but the rooms are very spartan and tired looking. Certainly not the same as the pictures on the website. Also, I used Starwood points, which in theory "reward" frequent Starwood guests. Instead my "city view" room was overlooking their parking garage. One of the worst rooms and views I have ever had at a hotel. When I asked to be moved (I had a morning check in), the "friendly" staff insisted they had no other rooms available. Very disappointed in Starwood as well as this property. Next trip, I'll definitely be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha and mahalo for sharing your recent experience with us. As a valued SPG Gold Member we truly appreciate your feedback. We have received the email you sent directly to us and appreciate your comments and one of our guest service managers will be contacting you directly shortly. Mahalo again and we welcome you to contact us directly with any more comments.
Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team
377GuestExperienceTeam@Sheraton.com

Reviewed March 21, 2013

On my first morning i went down for a very nice yoga class on the beach followed by a invigorating water aerobics class! Massimo and William were great!They were informative, helpful and encouraging. Some music would have been nice, I suggested that they could play a variety of music to please different people throughout the day.I would definatley recomend coming here it is a great way to start the day. They just need to advertise more to get more people out to the yoga class. Thanks Michelle