“On the beach”
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 3, 2013

With this hotel is a great beach with chairs and umbrellas. The is food nearby and a great way to spend a vacation. The pool is also on the beach. The staff is wonderful and takes good care of the client .

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view even if it costs a little more. Tis hotel is peaceful and does not hold pri...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonWaikiki, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Aloha and mahalo for your wonderful review of our resort. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton was the first hotel we stayed at during our visit to Hawaii and was not what we expected at all. We booked through a travel agent and from the brochures we'd viewed we expected a relaxing stay. From the moment we arrived in the lobby through a shopping mall we realised it was a very popular and extremely busy place! It felt more like we were shopping in Chinatown. Our rooms were also much much smaller than expected and were a bit out dated.

We also found that you had to be down at the pool as early as 8am as people put their towels down and then don't return until after lunch and it's impossible to get a sun bed. Once you do get one the pool is great and has amazing views! The bar service around the pool was very poor though; after waiting 25 minutes to be served we ended up getting up and going to the bar ourselves, which we were
more than happy to do but had been told to wait to be served by the bar staff.

The concierge staff were very helpful and the room service was great also. The hotel is located in a convenient spot close to a number of shopping malls and restaurants but as I mentioned, it was very very busy at all times of the day and night everywhere we went within the hotel grounds and surrounding shops beaches and restaurants (except the gym which was almost always empty!)

Overall a very nice place to stay in a great location. We did feel as though it was very commercialised and too busy for us however and would prefer to stay somewhere quieter and more relaxing next time.

• Stayed: February 2013

Aloha and mahalo for the fantastic review, we are very happy you had a great stay and appreciate your wonderful feedback. We have shared your experience with our pool service and concierge teams. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are looking for a lively atmosphere while in Hawaii.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Its a solid stay with a great location. Since waikiki beach is a public beach, no hotel is literally on the beach, although most are ocean front. The Sheraton is in a very good location a little past half way down the main strip. We had an Ocean front room on a high floor, what i just said was the highlight of the Sheraton. Rooms themselves are standard rooms you see everywhere, with basic bathroom -nothing wrong just nothing more to say. We enjoyed the view & waking up walking to the beach almost instantly was even more amazing. The price was moderately high, but for a beach front property in almost peak season it was expected. There are numerous brands in the area, staying in waikiki you should do your homework -in my case i booked last minute, Sheraton was barely available & most things on waikiki were sold out -so after looking back at it i was very happy with this hotel for what i wanted & what the hotel provided. Its a little above average beach hotel with a 5 star view. good stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
A hui hou,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. The best part was the new infinity pool and the bean bags which are so comfortable to float around in while looking at the ocean, etc..

Service was normal to excellent BUT there were negative notes:
1. We were two ladies and the maids often only left one body lotion etc... When I asked about this, one maid told me that was the rule! This may be fine for couples where the men rarely want body lotion, but it does not work with two ladies.
2. One of the most annoying things was going to the concierge desk and the only guy there persisted in telephoning people while we sat and waited in front of him.
When I asked about this, he said he had calls to make and was not in the least apologetic. I think this is rediculous and rude behaviour for a consierge to do while has two clients waiting in front of him. (We finally walked away after waiting 10-15 minutes).
3. The resort fee was supposed to cover wifi but I was not able to get my computer wifi going from our room without being asked for a fee. (there were a couple of computers in the lobby which probably worked with free of charge wifi). This was not a big issue for me so I did not pursue it.

Room Tip: we had one of the less expensive (city view) rooms. The deck was nice and we could see the ocean if...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are thrilled you enjoyed your 2 weeks with us and truly appreciate your valuable feedback. We have shared your concerns with our housekeeping, technology, and concierge teams and we apologize for any inconvenience this caused during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next Hawaiian holiday.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Amazing View. By far the best hotel experience I've ever had. Hotel staff was attentive. Room was clean. Great facilities. Food was incredible. I can't wait to go back. Guest services were invaluable and i was able to get 2 extra days through Starwoods.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank B L

Aloha and mahalo for your wonderful review of our resort. We are very happy your enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
A hui hou,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Sheraton Waikiki is a bustling property in the middle of Waikiki. I've stayed at this property 4x in the last three years for business, and every time there was something wrong in the room. Consistent issues were plumbing and house-keeping. The first time we stayed there the bath-tub was cracked in several places and appeared to be dirty. The next time th shower wouldn't work properly - the drain didn't work and within minutes I was standing in water up to the middle of my calf. Perhaps the most offensive thing was finding strands of black hair in the bed and a dirty pillow stained with lipstick. On all occasions we immediately called the front desk and housekeeping and engineering came to "our rescue" approximately 30 minutes later - upsetting as all incidents happened late at night preparing for bed. I always request non-smoking but somehow the room always smells like smoke. Management claims that it comes from nearby lanais. All three times we stayed in ocean front rooms. While the view is breath-taking, there is a considerable amount of noise from entertainment below that lasts pretty late into the night. The noise could be quelled if the sliding door was closed, and I prefer ocean air in comparison to air-conditioning. The beds were fairly comfortable, but after the first visit I brought my own travel pillow. I'm always struck by the masses of people thronging through the lobby and other public spaces. Be prepared to wait in a very long line to check in, and then vye for a space in the elevators. The location is convenient to world-class shopping, excellent dining (not on property) and entertainment on foot. By car, once on the avenue you are 5-10 minutes away (depending on traffic) from the Kapiolani Park/Kapahulu Avenue area that is considered "local" hang-outs to walk/jog, enjoy concerts and fairs, eateries and shopping such as Hawaiian antiques. The beach fronting the hotel is very crowded so it's best to find local get-aways like nearby Diamond Head Beach or Ala Moana Beach. If you opt to self-park, be aware you will have to walk out of the building and get into an elevator to access your car in parking structure. Order your car ahead of time if you use valet service, as there is also a long wait. The saving grace that made the hotel okay to stay at three times (had to as my company booked me there) was having an ocean front room. It is totally awesome to enjoy the rolling surf of Waikiki and recall "by-gone days." I grew up on Oahu and love Waikiki. If you are looking for an intimate get-away or a quiet solo or friends weekend, then go elsewhere. Waikiki can be a wonderful place to stay if you find accommodations suited to your values and tastes.

Room Tip: I think the hotel has been entirely renovated by now, but just to be sure ask for a renovated room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee Y

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are always happy to get the feedback of return guests and our kamaaina. We have shared your comments with the management team and they are working on solutions for all your concerns. We are very happy to let you know we are in the process of making the entire resort smoke free. Please contact us directly prior to your next visit as we would be happy to personally assist you in anyway. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
377GuestExperienceTeam@Sheraton.com

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The P/O view room was average size on the 18th Floor. The bed was worn out and hard. We flipped the mattress ourselves but the mattress was still hard. Each morning we awoke from a restless sleep with back pains. I called guest services to complain about the uncomfortable mattress and they said all they could do was send up 4 extra pillows to put on top of the mattress. This solution did not work! The lanai area had muddy hand prints on the walls which stayed there unwashed for our whole 2 week stay( Feb 8 to Feb 22/13.) Our shower stall had pencil lines in a shape of a "T" that stayed there the whole time too.
The pool area was always crowded. At 8:00 am you had be down by the pool area to get towels to put on the chair you wanted to reserve , if you waited until after 9:00 am most of chairs were already reserved. I regularly saw guests going to the Pool staff station and got enough towels to lay on chairs to reserve 6-8 spots, they even were given hold cards for 2 hours for this purpose. I do not understand why this is allowed, I can maybe 4 reserved chair. This one guy had cards and towels for 8 spots to be used by his friends, I know I watched him do it and was there when his friends arrived hours latter. They had spots reserved the the full sun and chairs reserved in the shade which they used along with the ones in the sun. One day 2 chairs he reserved went unused all day.This is very unfair and greedy by the guests. There was no contact with hotel unless you approached them with a concern, you were invisible to them. The noise from tour buses backing up at 6:00 am in the street below us woke us from a rotten sleep.There were nice restaurants North of the hotel that had happy hour prices on food and drinks, Hula Grill was a fantastic place to go and eat and watch the sunset. The elevator indicator lights were white in color and blinked when it was going to open arrive, problem was the doors closed quickly and hard to see the blinking lights as they were mixed in with other white lights above them. They should change the elevator indicator lights to red, so it stands out better. When you arrive in the main floor elevator area you are surrounded by elevators in a circle with push buttons located in the middle of this gathering area. People run like cattle to an opening elevator as they close too fast. It was a joke to watch these people push and make their way to open doors. On my first night there,I phoned for a Sharps container for my insulin needles, something I have done at many of the hotels I stayed at before. The front desk person said they did not supply them, I stored my used needles in my pill containers. On my last night there I personally went to the front desk to double check if I could get a Sharps container and I was given one?? The Infinity pool was awesome and closely monitored so only adult guest staying at the Sheraton were using it. The Pool Staff were quick to spot and remove people/kids who were not authorized to be it.
I will never stay here again because of the older hard beds, unsatisfactory response from the guest services, they could have tried to find a newer softer mattress.
Do not waste your money staying this place find a more caring and efficient hotel.

Room Tip: Stay as high as you can facing Diamond head or Ocean view. Make sue you get a renovated room, most o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kena2319

Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We have shared your experiences with the management team and we appreciate your valuable feedback. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to deliver a memorable experience for our guests and your comments help us know where to focus our efforts.